Sad Christmas Story

Old December 24th 05, 06:39 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Default Sad Christmas Story

If you read this evening's S&T news bulletin, you may have followed the
link to the story about the Christmas morning occultation of Spica by
the Moon http://tinyurl.com/77lpy. The story was well written by one
Alan M. MacRobert.

At the end of the story Mr. MacRobert's biographical sketch says "Alan
MacRobert independently disproved the existence of Santa Claus around
age 7, by dividing the number of houses in North America by the number
of minutes in the night before Christmas. He found the process
liberating rather than disappointing."

Liberated from the magic of childhood at only age 7? I can't help but
imagine what might have happened if Mr. MacRobert had been a budding
biologist at age 7: "Alan MacRobert received a puppy for Christmas
around age 7, and he dissected it..."

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
Old December 24th 05, 08:25 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Davoud wrote in :

Liberated from the magic of childhood at only age 7? I can't help but
imagine what might have happened if Mr. MacRobert had been a budding
biologist at age 7: "Alan MacRobert received a puppy for Christmas
around age 7, and he dissected it..."

Yet, grown adults disbelieve intelligent design, which is apparent in all
we see, and believe the myth of evolution, of which the collected proof can
be contained on a foldup card table. I suppose blind people just keep
believing the lies they were told from childhood until death.

Old December 24th 05, 10:03 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

elaich wrote:

Yet, grown adults disbelieve intelligent design, which is apparent in all
we see,

All that's apparent in all that we see is very definite unintelligent
design. Chaos to be more precise.

and believe the myth of evolution, of which the collected proof can
be contained on a foldup card table.

ID's proof of course cannot be contained on a foldup card table -
because there is absolutley no proof whatsoever - except to those
desperate to prop up an outdated and palpably false dogma. But hey!,
they are willing to lie, cheat, falsify and do other wonderful deeds to
support it!

I suppose blind people just keep
believing the lies they were told from childhood until death.

Like the lies perpetrated by religous zealots?

Eugene Griessel

Old December 24th 05, 11:40 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

I expect ID is only a passing fad thanks to "Burning's" simple faith
swaying the even-simpler believers within his corrupt influence in
backwoods America.

Once the ventriloquist's dummy has been put back in the closet where he
belongs the medieval myths will vanish like a late frost in the first
rays of warm sunshine.

Then I predict a bold lion will lead America into a new renaissance of
beneficial scientific research, sustainability and worldwide equality
for all. Yeah right!

Burning's America has become the Walwart of the world. A vast
billion-legged parasite gorging itself on the lifeblood of the poor and
disadvantaged worldwide. Despised by all but the rich clowns which it
so carefully protects amongst its countless, corrupt, stinging
tentacles.

Have a nice one!
(while you still can) ;-)

Chris.B

Old December 24th 05, 01:25 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

"elaich" wrote in message ...
Davoud wrote in :

Liberated from the magic of childhood at only age 7? I can't help but
imagine what might have happened if Mr. MacRobert had been a budding
biologist at age 7: "Alan MacRobert received a puppy for Christmas
around age 7, and he dissected it..."

Yet, grown adults disbelieve intelligent design, which is apparent in all
we see, and believe the myth of evolution, of which the collected proof can
be contained on a foldup card table.

Actually grown and thoughtful adults recognize the difference between
beliefs and science. Evolution is a model built on observing nature and
has demonstrated predictive capacity. A good example is Darwin's Hawk
moth. "Intelligent design" is based on hypothesizing something supernatural
and unobservable as proof that a scientific theory should be rejected.

I suppose blind people just keep believing the lies they were told
from childhood until death.

There are plenty of open minded blind people.

--

Hilton Evans
Lon -71° 04' 35.3"

Old December 24th 05, 01:39 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 00:39:37 -0500, Davoud wrote:
At the end of the story Mr. MacRobert's biographical sketch says "Alan
MacRobert independently disproved the existence of Santa Claus around
age 7, by dividing the number of houses in North America by the number
of minutes in the night before Christmas. He found the process
liberating rather than disappointing."

If he'd been _really_ clever he would have realised that Santa Claus
visits far more than just North American homes.

If he had been _genius_ grade material he would have also realised
that for some, time is not necessarily linear.

I still hope he has a Merry Christmas :-)

Jim
Old December 24th 05, 03:11 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Davoud:
Liberated from the magic of childhood at only age 7? I can't help but
imagine what might have happened if Mr. MacRobert had been a budding
biologist at age 7: "Alan MacRobert received a puppy for Christmas
around age 7, and he dissected it..."

elaich:
Yet, grown adults disbelieve intelligent design, which is apparent in all
we see, and believe the myth of evolution, of which the collected proof can
be contained on a foldup card table. I suppose blind people just keep
believing the lies they were told from childhood until death.

I won't have my words twisted for your hateful purposes.

There is a huge difference between the wonderful myths of childhood --
found in one form or other in every society on earth -- and lies. The
former stimulates and helps develop the human imagination -- the
essential quality that leads a child to grow up and discover wonderful
truths like Evolution and Relativity and do wonderful things like
eradicate smallpox and polio. Denying the truths -- the realities -- of
the world dooms a person to stand still and live in the past all of his
life.

You want intelligent design, I'll give you intelligent design. Jenner.
Fleming. Salk. Sabin. Bardeen, Brattain, Shockley, et al...

Ignorance is forgivable; lying is not. To willfully deny that Evolution
is a property of life on Earth is a lie.

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
Old December 24th 05, 03:17 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Chris.B:

[...]

You are one tough dude. But someone has to tell the truth, and even
Burning's harshest critics in the mainstream press are afraid to say
everything. Ventriloquist's dummy, indeed! I have likened him to Howdy
Doody. We condemn and criticize him, but that's like critizing Howdy
Doody for crimes his puppeteer committed. Of course, my analogy has a
flaw, because Howdy Doody had no choice, while Burning has allowed
himself to be turned into a mindless puppet.

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
Old December 24th 05, 03:47 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Davoud wrote:
If you read this evening's S&T news bulletin, you may have followed
the link to the story about the Christmas morning occultation of
Spica by the Moon http://tinyurl.com/77lpy. The story was well
written by one Alan M. MacRobert.

At the end of the story Mr. MacRobert's biographical sketch says "Alan
MacRobert independently disproved the existence of Santa Claus around
age 7, by dividing the number of houses in North America by the number
of minutes in the night before Christmas. He found the process
liberating rather than disappointing."

Liberated from the magic of childhood at only age 7? I can't help but
imagine what might have happened if Mr. MacRobert had been a budding
biologist at age 7: "Alan MacRobert received a puppy for Christmas
around age 7, and he dissected it..."

Davoud

Clever boy, nothing sad about it. Real life is more exciting than any
fantasy.

A word of comfort: He wasn't totally liberated though. The world of Santa
Claus is not limited to North America.

--
Carsten A. Arnholm
http://arnholm.org/