Comet P/46

Old December 7th 18, 09:55 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
StarDust

Default Comet P/46

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkzbaI9nxBc

This data was taken December 1 and December 4, 2018. This comet is expected to be seen by the unaided eye by the middle of December and is easily seen in binoculars and a telescope right now.
Old December 7th 18, 04:08 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

StarDust wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkzbaI9nxBc

This data was taken December 1 and December 4, 2018. This comet is
expected to be seen by the unaided eye by the middle of December and is
easily seen in binoculars and a telescope right now.

It should be visible but I’ve had interference from Murphy’s variable
nebula. Only two nights in the last week have been without thick cloud
cover. One night the cloud cleared when the comet’s azimuth was 4 degrees.
The other night was foggy so you could count that as cloudy too.

Old December 7th 18, 04:31 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Fri, 7 Dec 2018 00:55:15 -0800 (PST), StarDust
wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkzbaI9nxBc

This data was taken December 1 and December 4, 2018. This comet is expected to be seen by the unaided eye by the middle of December and is easily seen in binoculars and a telescope right now.

I had no problem seeing it a few nights ago with averted vision. Found
it first in binoculars (huge and bright), then visually. So yeah, as
it brightens, it's likely to be an easy naked eye object under
reasonably dark skies.
Old December 8th 18, 04:56 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
StarDust

On Friday, December 7, 2018 at 7:31:01 AM UTC-8, Chris L Peterson wrote:
On Fri, 7 Dec 2018 00:55:15 -0800 (PST),

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkzbaI9nxBc

This data was taken December 1 and December 4, 2018. This comet is expected to be seen by the unaided eye by the middle of December and is easily seen in binoculars and a telescope right now.

I had no problem seeing it a few nights ago with averted vision. Found
it first in binoculars (huge and bright), then visually. So yeah, as
it brightens, it's likely to be an easy naked eye object under
reasonably dark skies.

My star chart shows 69/p Taylor another comet is close to 46/p?
69/p mag 13, much harder to see, I think!
Old December 16th 18, 01:37 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Mike Collins[_4_]

StarDust wrote:
On Friday, December 7, 2018 at 7:31:01 AM UTC-8, Chris L Peterson wrote:
On Fri, 7 Dec 2018 00:55:15 -0800 (PST),

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkzbaI9nxBc

This data was taken December 1 and December 4, 2018. This comet is
expected to be seen by the unaided eye by the middle of December and is
easily seen in binoculars and a telescope right now.

I had no problem seeing it a few nights ago with averted vision. Found
it first in binoculars (huge and bright), then visually. So yeah, as
it brightens, it's likely to be an easy naked eye object under
reasonably dark skies.

My star chart shows 69/p Taylor another comet is close to 46/p?
69/p mag 13, much harder to see, I think!

00:30 December 16th the sky cleared after rain. Still a bit hazy but the
comet is still not visible with the naked eye from my back yard. OK in
10x50s but not much better than a few days ago.

Old February 18th 19, 03:14 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
corvastro

On Friday, December 7, 2018 at 7:56:28 PM UTC-8, StarDust wrote:
On Friday, December 7, 2018 at 7:31:01 AM UTC-8, Chris L Peterson wrote:
On Fri, 7 Dec 2018 00:55:15 -0800 (PST),

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkzbaI9nxBc

This data was taken December 1 and December 4, 2018. This comet is expected to be seen by the unaided eye by the middle of December and is easily seen in binoculars and a telescope right now.

I had no problem seeing it a few nights ago with averted vision. Found
it first in binoculars (huge and bright), then visually. So yeah, as
it brightens, it's likely to be an easy naked eye object under
reasonably dark skies.

My star chart shows 69/p Taylor another comet is close to 46/p?
69/p mag 13, much harder to see, I think!

Much harder is right - an 8" scope will see down to about 13.3 magnitude with dark skies.

And remember, since the coma is diffuse, the practical magnitude is much worse, so even a 10" scope might not be enough.