astro in Costa Rica

Old July 15th 03, 08:04 AM
Starlord

Default astro in Costa Rica

There's Centuri Omega for one, a realy good sight.

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Bishop's Car Fund
http://www.bishopcarfund.Netfirms.com/
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com

"Esmail Bonakdarian" wrote in message
Hi All,

I'll be spending several weeks in Costa Rica soon to study Spanish. I've never
been to Central America, and it's the rainy season there, so I am not sure
what sort of skies I'll encounter.

I am planing to take my 10x50 binoculars with me just in case (and for
birding too).

I've never been that far south, it's about 10 degrees North. Anything
spectacular from the southern skies I should be looking for?

Thanks,
Esmail
PS: I'll be in Heredia for most of the time where the National University
is located. Perhaps they have an astronomy department and scopes, I
should look into that!
---
Esmail Bonakdarian - - http://www.cs.mercer.edu/bonak
32N 83W

Old July 16th 03, 02:54 PM
William R. Mattil

In article ,
Esmail Bonakdarian wrote:

Thanks - any other southern goodies to look for?

Esmail,

The list is long :^) And some of these may, or may not be visible but
some investigation with your favorite Astro-Software ought to fill in
the details.

1) Coal Sack

2) Large and Small Magellanic Clouds

3) Southern Cross (why not ?)

4) Trantula

5) Eta Carinae (sp ?)

6) Doh .... Mars, pretty much straight overhead laughs

Take your telescope if at all possible. Be too good to pass this up
I think.

Regards

Bill

--

William R. Mattil | Dogbert: That's circular reasoning.
Sr. System Aministrator | Dilbert: I prefer to think of it as no
Old July 17th 03, 05:34 PM
Jan Owen

What are the largest binocs you own?

When we were going to Maui regularly, I never took a telescope with me,
but I ALWAYS took my 11X80 binoculars and Celestron Comet Catcher tripod.
They fit right in my luggage, so I didn't have to do anything special to
get them over there.

Truly awesome viewing from there (especially from atop Haleakala) with
those 11X80's, though more magnification would have been nice on some
objects...

--
To reply, remove the "z" if one appears in my address
"Esmail Bonakdarian" wrote in message
Hi Bill

The list is long :^) And some of these may, or may not be visible but
some investigation with your favorite Astro-Software ought to fill in
the details.

Take your telescope if at all possible. Be too good to pass this up
I think.

I'd like to but the logistics are a bit tricky this time around. If all
goes well, I might go back next year, and I'd certainly try to take my
ST80 with me then.

Cheers,
Esmail
---
Esmail Bonakdarian - -

http://www.cs.mercer.edu/bonak
32N 83W

Old July 17th 03, 06:24 PM
Jan Owen

While it isn't going to stack up to Omega Centauri, another worthy object
is M22. You can probably see it from home, as can I, but from Costa Rica,
it will be quite high in the sky, so it will look even better, and it's
already my favorite globular (mostly because Omega Centauri is only
visible from here on a very low horizon, and to see it, you have to look
essentially horizontally through a LOT of our atmosphere, which doesn't do
much for the image...). The star clouds in Saggitarius should be pretty
impressive from down there, too...