ASTRO: Arp 52 Not much to see here

Old April 3rd 09, 09:43 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Arp 52 Not much to see here

Arp 52 is one of the dud Arp galaxies, at least for my system. I needed
a good night that would support 0.5" imaging. I've had more than usual
of such nights but not the night I imaged it so I settled for my
standard 1" pixel size. Arp 52, CGCG 421-027 doesn't have any
classification that I can find nor could I find a paper on it. It seems
no one but Arp finds it interesting. He classed it as a spiral with a
high surface brightness companion on its arm. That's the blue dot at
the 1 o'clock position. Though it appears it may be a foreground
galaxy. I find no separate identity or info for this companion. It's
just that most catalogs show "Arp 52 as a galaxy with companion".
Without further data there's no way to know if the two are related or
not. Both are very blue which might indicate they are interacting and
thus have triggered the creation of a lot of young super hot blue stars.
But without any literature to check there's no way to know. Arp 52 is
about 380 million light years away and seen against the stars of Orion,
not far from his left armpit, Bellatrix. There are three other galaxies
in this image that are located at about this same distance and are thus
likely part of the same group. Two are down near the bottom left corner
and are very obvious reddish S0 type galaxies. The brightest two in the
field besides Arp 52. The third is near the top of the frame a bit
right of Arp 52 and below the brightest star in the area. It too
appears to be a spiral but far more blue than the other two at the lower
left and smaller as well. While I mention the lower two as looking like
S0 I found no classification for any galaxy in this image, Arp 52
included. Due to extreme cold the set screws that hold the camera on
the scope had contracted enough to allow the camera to tilt some. Due
to the way it mounts to the scope it can't fall off when this happens
but it can and did tilt. This meant the left and right edges of the
frame were very blurred so I cropped them out. This is why the image is
narrower than normal. It is still at my standard 1" per pixel. The
left side was further out of focus than the right but I cropped it
evenly to leave Arp 52 in the center. So you will see the stars on the
left side are rather fuzzy due to this problem, especially in the upper
left corner.

Arp's photo of this one is at:
http://nedwww.ipac.caltech.edu/level...big_arp52.jpeg

I counted up and have about 110 Arp galaxies imaged but only half of
them processed. Guess I better get back to processing. Most are more
interesting than Arp 52 but there are a few more duds in the mix.

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ARP52CGCG421-027L4X10RGB2X10X3-1600.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	293.1 KB
ID:	2374
Old April 4th 09, 09:43 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

while this galaxy probably won't make it to the TV news I like to see some
"new" targets.

Stefan

ter.com...