ASTRO: NGC 300

Old September 12th 14, 10:33 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Default ASTRO: NGC 300

First image from my Namibia trip to Kiripotib farm, where I rented a 10” Meade ACF on a MK100 mount.
This setup can be seen he
http://www.astro-namibia.com/htm/astro_mont_mk100.html

I had some problems with the mount which would make “jumps” if it’s clutches were tightened too much. These guiding errors forced me to bin this picture of NGC 300 2x2 in software, which also helped to keep noise at bay.
With an object list long enough for several months of imaging I wasn’t willing to spend too much time on one object.

Taken from the Kalahari desert (Kiripotib farm) with a 10” Meade ACF at 2050mm focal length on a MK100 mount, Trius SX694 camera, 9x10min Lum, 3x10min each for RGB.

http://ccd-astronomy.de/temp9/300colourkleingut.jpg

Stefan

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	300colourkleingut.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	275.2 KB
ID:	5282
Old September 14th 14, 06:35 AM
WA0CKY WA0CKY is offline
Senior Member

Sorry about the mount. That type of glitch can really drive one nuts. I fought mounts for 50 years before the Paramount. It just runs never giving me one hint of an issue. Might create a huge black hole in the bank account but it makes imaging so pain free I never think about it other than giving it an annual grease exchange for the two worm gears.

This is one galaxy I've wished was much further north. I bet the HII regions would really pop with a bit of H alpha. It's close enough that red shift wouldn't yet move that out of the pass band. I find many I'd like to do are shifted beyond the band width of my 5nm filter. Even a 12 can't handle many. Hubble uses it at much greater distances so must have a variable one they can tune. I've not looked that up.

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Lilge View Post