"Baffling" Meade ETX Mak choices

Old February 17th 04, 11:52 PM
Richard

Default "Baffling" Meade ETX Mak choices

There is something in the human mind that causes people to
make choices that don't always seem to be the most
logic when it comes to different sizes of the same product.
Take the Meade Maks, the ETXs.
There is a 90mm, 105mm and a 125mm. Given the optics in these
scopes (last time I checked) were pretty uniform and excellent,
you'd think that that the 105mm would be the telescope chosen
most often. It provides nearly the same portability of the 90mm,
avoids the bulk of the 125mm and gives you a noticeable jump
in resolution and light throughput over the 90mm.
However, from what I've seen, it is by far the least purchased
of the ETX scopes! Most purchase the 90mm while the rest purchase
the 125mm over the 105mm. From what I can tell, this would indicate
the main reason for choosing an ETX is portability, since the 90mm
is the smallest. But I can't help thinking (given what how I've seen
them both perform) that the 105 is still portably enough and offers
benefits the other two don't have.
-Rich