Prism Diagonals Pros & Cons

Old May 22nd 17, 08:07 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

Default Prism Diagonals Pros & Cons

Hi,I've always used celestron stardiagnol,, recently I purchased a celestron 90° erect image correcting prism,I've not yet used it.can anyone tell me what differences to expect and the advantage and disadvantage, if there is any,thanks.
Old May 23rd 17, 06:19 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_6_]

On Monday, 22 May 2017 03:07:39 UTC-4, wrote:
Hi,I've always used celestron stardiagnol,, recently I purchased a celestron 90° erect image correcting prism,I've not yet used it.can anyone tell me what differences to expect and the advantage and disadvantage, if there is any,thanks.

Some thing prisms provide the best images, but the light has to traverse 2 glass surfaces and reflect off another, all while traveling through 2-5 inches of glass. A mirror only requires one reflection. Also, some believe prisms add chromatic aberration to the image. I had what was considered the best prism (Celestron 2" Baader from the 1990's) and IMO, a good mirror is better.
Old May 23rd 17, 10:55 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Razzmatazz

On Tuesday, May 23, 2017 at 5:42:40 AM UTC-5, Martin Brown wrote:
On 22/05/2017 08:07, wrote:
Hi,I've always used celestron stardiagnol,, recently I purchased a
celestron 90° erect image correcting prism,I've not yet used it.can
anyone tell me what differences to expect and the advantage and
disadvantage, if there is any,thanks.

Presumably on e of these as opposed to the more common simple Amici 45
degree prism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amici_roof_prism

Its claim to fame is that the image is the same way round as reality.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

What's reality? Everything is upside down inside your eyeball anyway, and your brain just makes the best of it. Scientists have outfitted people with special prism glasses that turns the world upside down, and after a few days wearing these glasses the people begin to adjust to the new reality and see the world as before, right side up.

Razzy
Old May 24th 17, 05:38 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

On 22/05/2017 08:07, wrote:
[...]

It hardly needs mentioning that an A-B-C test of "straight through," prism or mirror diagonal will be enlightening.
If you can't tell the difference then what does it matter?
Except that you've saved some money for magical hi-fi cables. ;-)