Land of Mt. Hood and the Source of the East Wind

Old June 18th 15, 11:58 PM posted to alt.astronomy
G=EMC^2TreBert

Default Land of Mt. Hood and the Source of the East Wind

On Wednesday, February 25, 2015 at 5:31:40 PM UTC-8, Double-A wrote:
Mt. Hood looms much larger were I am living now. Many things there are named after it: Mt. Hood Community College, The Hood Theater, and Hood Drive. Some things have been named after the east wind too, such as the East Wind Apartments. The east wind is the dominant wind there in the winter. In summer it is nice though, and stays a little cooler than downtown Portland.

Today I am back over in the Cedar Mills Library, since I don't have my Multnomah County library card yet. After lunch with Kim downtown, I came up here. It is currently 51F here with a slight sprinkling of rain starting. Should be dry again in a couple day.

A few days ago I walked over to the Mt. Hood Community College campus. I spent 2 years in school there. Much has changed, but old memories still remain.

"The years run too short and the days too fast
The things you lean on are the things that don't last
Well it's just now and then my line gets cast into these
Time passages
There's something back here that you left behind
Oh time passages
Buy me a ticket on the last train home tonight

A girl comes towards you
You once used to know
You reach out your hand
But you're all alone, in these
Time passages
I know you're in there, you're just out of sight
Time passages
Buy me a ticket on the last train home tonight" - Al Stewart

At first I felt a little lost, but then I came upon a spot I clearly remembered. It was where I had gone out there and watched a speech by then President Jimmy Carter in the late 70's. He was the first President I had seen in person! A helicopter brought him in, and Iranian students hiding their faces were demonstrating against the Shaw of Iran.

I finally found the lake that they made by damming up the local creek. I once drove a car across that dam! But if I were to try it now, I would run into a fence. I now must give up any hope of wetting a line in that trout stocked pond, as fishing is now limited to those under 17. Well, that's how I always thought it should be.

I found the basketball court with the dome shaped roof. It is a paraboloid shaped roof which gives an interesting echoic effect at its center. They have wisely covered much of the ceiling with acoustic tile.

There used to be tables and chairs on the east side where students could sit. But now it's all basketball floor. That's were I used to sit and talk with Greta and Susan in those pleasant times.

"The day is here,
The time has come
When I go see my darling love.
But why is she not here today
Where she has always been before?
I wait for you,
But you come not. - AA

I went to the corner of Kane Dr. and Stark St. to look for the stone mile post marker for mile 14 from Portland. It was there back in 1969 when I checked. This were set down every mile along Stark about 150 years ago. Stark led to the Stark St. Ferry, which was the only way to cross the Willamette River back then, before they built the bridges in Portland. The Community College has put up a sign at that corner and surrounded it with rocks and other landscaping. But no sign of the historic mile stone. You would think that the administrators of a college of all people would have some respect for history!

Double-A

AA On the news H.B, water is high in bacteria.If it smells I will wait another week.73 miles of beaches polluted by oil pipe line spill.Cleanup 3 million a day. So far 63 million spent. TreBert
Old June 19th 15, 10:39 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

On Thursday, June 18, 2015 at 3:58:20 PM UTC-7, G=EMC^2TreBert wrote:
[...]

These cleanups are nothing compared to the cleanups we could need from nuclear power!

A cloudy, but so far dry day in Gresham. An ideal 72F as of 2:30 PM PDT. Could make it up to 74F.

Gresham is proud that its waste water treatment plant, which used to be an energy guzzler, now generates as much electricity as is uses! It uses sewer gas plus solar cells to accomplish this.

The shooting in South Carolina was a terrible thing, but I don't foresee any trouble from it. Because the shooter was a lone madman, not someone acting under color of authority.

Double-A

Old June 20th 15, 01:09 PM posted to alt.astronomy
HVAC[_2_]

On 6/19/2015 5:39 PM, Double-A wrote:

Gresham is proud that its waste water treatment plant, which used to be an energy guzzler, now generates as much electricity as is uses! It uses sewer gas plus solar cells to accomplish this.

Imagine a green Hager. With Bert's help, they could convert his sewage
lagoon into enough energy to power the entire trailer park.

--
Cut off one head, two more shall take its place.
HAIL HYDRA!
Old June 20th 15, 06:50 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

Back to clear blue skies here in Gresham. Currently only 64F, but then it's only 10 :45 AM. Later it is expected to be 81F.

The other day a woman came over to near wear I was reading here in the library, put a stack of books on the floor to use for a pillow, laid down and went to sleep! I can certainly understand what it's like not to have any place where you're allowed to go to sleep. She slept for at least a half hour before the woman security guard came by on her rounds and rousted her. They have a strictly enforced rule against sleeping in this library.

Farmer's market is in progress outside. Hope to pick up some healthful vegetables when I leave.

Double-A

Old June 20th 15, 07:29 PM posted to alt.astronomy
G=EMC^2TreBert

On Saturday, June 20, 2015 at 10:50:08 AM UTC-7, Double-A wrote:
Back to clear blue skies here in Gresham. Currently only 64F, but then it's only 10 :45 AM. Later it is expected to be 81F.

The other day a woman came over to near wear I was reading here in the library, put a stack of books on the floor to use for a pillow, laid down and went to sleep! I can certainly understand what it's like not to have any place where you're allowed to go to sleep. She slept for at least a half hour before the woman security guard came by on her rounds and rousted her. They have a strictly enforced rule against sleeping in this library.

Farmer's market is in progress outside. Hope to pick up some healthful vegetables when I leave.

Double-A

AA Nice day here.Don't forget MSP Do you have a blender? That 83 year old lady keeps calling + her daughter for me to move into her house. Her daughter is picking me up Monday to see it.Its for free,but free stuff never works out for me.Still its worth a look see. Bert
Old June 20th 15, 08:31 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

On Saturday, June 20, 2015 at 11:29:27 AM UTC-7, G=EMC^2TreBert wrote:
[...]

No blender. They might have some OSPs out there. Most stuff is locally grown. Free stuff is worth everything you paid for it.

Double-A

Old June 21st 15, 07:40 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

A Freudian 69F here in beautiful downtown Gresham as of 11:30 AM. Skies have a few morning clouds, but the sun is out.

Got some good veggies at the Farmer's Market yesterday. Didn't see any sweet potatoes however.

Locally, some 60 year old woman dragged an 11 year old girl into a ladies' room and was apparently trying to rape her! My aren't the times a changing! She is out on bail. Do you suppose they would let a male child rapist out on bail?

Double-A

Old June 21st 15, 08:58 PM posted to alt.astronomy
G=EMC^2TreBert

[...]

AA You must eat MSP.Weather getting warmer,but I'm still in Anaheim.Sandy and I are going out to a Tai fast food for dinner.Well people think of me as her father and its Father Day. My daughter Sheri tells me Easthampton is getting lots of rain.She blames it on my "Heavy Air Theory" well you don't have to shovel rain. Bert
Old June 21st 15, 09:05 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

On Sunday, June 21, 2015 at 12:58:37 PM UTC-7, G=EMC^2TreBert wrote:
[...]

I like Thai food. But I never knew what to order. It's good someone is nice to you on Father's Day. I have one stepson, but I might as well not exist. Better to blame the rain on your theory, than that dubious global warming theory.

Double-A

Old June 22nd 15, 07:03 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

Another nice day here in Gresham. 64F as of 10:45 AM with sunny skies. Expected high 81F. It's been a long dry spell in the usually rainy month of June. It means drought, I suppose. The last time I remember a year so filled with sunshine was I think 1977, when our Blazers won the championship! I remember a guy I worked with, who had just moved up from California early in the year, remarked late in the fall, "They say it rains a lot in Oregon, but since I've been here, I haven't seen in rain yet!" That year our spring water supply went dry.

The Oregon Grapes are ripe now for me to snack on and get some vital vitamin C. It is convenient that they plant them along the streets as landscape shrubbery. I'm the only one who eats them. I tried some burdock leaves from a vacant lot next door, cooking them first. The edible weed guides say they are edible, but they were way too bitter for my taste! Supposedly the roots taste better.

I ate a couple of yams last night. Do they count as sweet potatoes?

Double-A

Punishment for the Ft. Hood Terrorist. G=EMC^2 Glazier[_1_] Misc 1 November 9th 09 06:59 PM
The source of the solar wind (Forwarded) Andrew Yee Astronomy Misc 0 May 6th 08 05:09 AM
The source of the solar wind (Forwarded) Andrew Yee[_1_] News 0 May 6th 08 04:59 AM
east's direction wind peter Misc 2 November 28th 06 02:38 PM
the East's direction wind peter Misc 1 November 23rd 06 02:44 PM