Land of Mt. Hood and the Source of the East Wind

Old February 26th 15, 02:31 AM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

Default Land of Mt. Hood and the Source of the East Wind

Mt. Hood looms much larger were I am living now. Many things there are named after it: Mt. Hood Community College, The Hood Theater, and Hood Drive. Some things have been named after the east wind too, such as the East Wind Apartments. The east wind is the dominant wind there in the winter. In summer it is nice though, and stays a little cooler than downtown Portland.

Today I am back over in the Cedar Mills Library, since I don't have my Multnomah County library card yet. After lunch with Kim downtown, I came up here. It is currently 51F here with a slight sprinkling of rain starting. Should be dry again in a couple day.

A few days ago I walked over to the Mt. Hood Community College campus. I spent 2 years in school there. Much has changed, but old memories still remain.

"The years run too short and the days too fast
The things you lean on are the things that don't last
Well it's just now and then my line gets cast into these
Time passages
There's something back here that you left behind
Oh time passages
Buy me a ticket on the last train home tonight

A girl comes towards you
You once used to know
You reach out your hand
But you're all alone, in these
Time passages
I know you're in there, you're just out of sight
Time passages
Buy me a ticket on the last train home tonight" - Al Stewart

At first I felt a little lost, but then I came upon a spot I clearly remembered. It was where I had gone out there and watched a speech by then President Jimmy Carter in the late 70's. He was the first President I had seen in person! A helicopter brought him in, and Iranian students hiding their faces were demonstrating against the Shaw of Iran.

I finally found the lake that they made by damming up the local creek. I once drove a car across that dam! But if I were to try it now, I would run into a fence. I now must give up any hope of wetting a line in that trout stocked pond, as fishing is now limited to those under 17. Well, that's how I always thought it should be.

I found the basketball court with the dome shaped roof. It is a paraboloid shaped roof which gives an interesting echoic effect at its center. They have wisely covered much of the ceiling with acoustic tile.

There used to be tables and chairs on the east side where students could sit. But now it's all basketball floor. That's were I used to sit and talk with Greta and Susan in those pleasant times.

"The day is here,
The time has come
When I go see my darling love.
But why is she not here today
Where she has always been before?
I wait for you,
But you come not. - AA

I went to the corner of Kane Dr. and Stark St. to look for the stone mile post marker for mile 14 from Portland. It was there back in 1969 when I checked. This were set down every mile along Stark about 150 years ago. Stark led to the Stark St. Ferry, which was the only way to cross the Willamette River back then, before they built the bridges in Portland. The Community College has put up a sign at that corner and surrounded it with rocks and other landscaping. But no sign of the historic mile stone. You would think that the administrators of a college of all people would have some respect for history!

Double-A

Old February 27th 15, 06:22 PM posted to alt.astronomy
G=EMC^2TreBert

On Wednesday, February 25, 2015 at 5:31:40 PM UTC-8, Double-A wrote:
[...]

AA you are a mountain man.Hood is your mountain. I am a beach person,and Huntington is my beach. Revere Beach I grew up on.Huntington I will die on. You are the old man of the mountain,and I'm the old man of the sea.TreBert
Old February 28th 15, 10:32 PM posted to alt.astronomy
G=EMC^2TreBert

[...]

AA I thought you got a wind from the south going up along the coast bring warm moist air??. Cool today,and yet these hardy Ca, people in shorts at 11 pm. To busy to be at the beach.TreBert
Old February 28th 15, 10:54 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Arc Michael

On Friday, February 27, 2015 at 9:22:03 AM UTC-8, G=EMC^2TreBert wrote:
[...]

obvious u have never been to Malibu or to 'secret' zuma, no road access allowed. One can sit on a section of 'secret zuma' and have 1/2 mile of beach by themselves. At night it is truelove enchanting. Of course, in the daytime, periodically a naked beach runner will pass by but they pay no attention to 'distractions.'

Old February 28th 15, 11:42 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

On Saturday, February 28, 2015 at 1:32:53 PM UTC-8, G=EMC^2TreBert wrote:
[...]

Some rain yesterday. Back to east wind today and so colder and dryer. 54F now in Gresham. The Columbia River is right over the hill from here and that is where the east wind comes from. I just found the new Gresham library. The old library I remembered is now a museum. I just walked in, filled out a form, showed some ID, and they immediately issued me a library card. Already on the computer! But they only give me 60 minutes, so I'll have to be brief. I need to consider getting my own laptop so I can use Wi-Fi somewhere.

Found another local landmark in Gresham that might ring a bell with you: The M&M Restaurant and Lounge. It has been there for as long as I can remember.

The USPS finally got my mailbox lock installed, and my address change has been processed, so I finally have a real address!

Double-A

Old February 28th 15, 11:43 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

On Saturday, February 28, 2015 at 1:54:32 PM UTC-8, Arc Michael wrote:
[...]

There are ocean beaches here in Oregon that are mostly empty. It's just because of the low population here.

Double-A

Old March 1st 15, 08:15 PM posted to alt.astronomy
G=EMC^2TreBert

[...]

AA Water up your way must be cold.Revere Beach had cold water,but at times the Gulf Stream came in. Cape always got the Gulf Stream and millions went to its beaches. TreBert
Old March 1st 15, 10:57 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

On Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 11:15:34 AM UTC-8, G=EMC^2TreBert wrote:

AA Water up your way must be cold.Revere Beach had cold water,but at times the Gulf Stream came in. Cape always got the Gulf Stream and millions went to its beaches. TreBert

Bert, the tap water here in Gresham is not only cold, but tastes much better that the water in Portland! Fresh from the melting snow, I guess.

Weather here in downtown Gresham at 1:45 PM is sunny and calm at 55F.

I just noticed on a sign above my computer that I am entitled to "two" 1-hour sessions per day. So that is a little better than I had thought.

Gresham is a livelier town than I remember it from the old days with lots of restaurants and even beer gardens! But also lots of vacant space. I saw what looks like a mall turned into a church, and an historic church turned into a restaurant. The new library is only a couple blocks from the smaller old library which is now a museum. It's a much different town than when we used to come here when I was a kid to buy feed for the cows, and eat either fish and chips or else Chinese food. Maybe there was also a Dairy Queen. There used to be a Piggly Wiggly Store here in the old days, but I think that's gone. Instead there is Safeway, Fred Meyer, Walgreens, Albertsons, and all the other chain stores.

Fun to be back in familiar, yet much changed territory.

Double-A

Old March 2nd 15, 03:29 AM posted to alt.astronomy
G=EMC^2TreBert

[...]

AA Beer garden sounds like a winner.Here is an idea.Make a chip health food..Use potato + MSP + carrot in blender.Fry in soy oil.Light on salt. Test out at beer garden. If its a hit sell out to Best Foods,and buy a Corvette. Might add pinch of garlic
Old March 3rd 15, 11:08 PM posted to alt.astronomy
Double-A[_4_]

On Sunday, March 1, 2015 at 6:29:15 PM UTC-8, G=EMC^2TreBert wrote:
[...]

Might fly. Kim recommended a garlic, ginger root, and onion concoction.

A wonderful sunny day here in Gresham. 55F as of 1:45 PM. Clear skies made it colder last night. Trying to not spend money on electricity by not using heat, putting a covering that Kim gave me over my legs last night kept me reasonably warm.

I began to realize as I walked over from the transit center that this library must be right on the edge of what used to be the Multnomah County Fair grounds. I consulted an online historic map and was right! I enjoyed many pleasant hours at that fair! I remember well the date I had with Greta at that fair. Portland eventually stole the fair from Gresham and relocated it.

Punishment for the Ft. Hood Terrorist. G=EMC^2 Glazier[_1_] Misc 1 November 9th 09 07:59 PM
The source of the solar wind (Forwarded) Andrew Yee Astronomy Misc 0 May 6th 08 05:09 AM
The source of the solar wind (Forwarded) Andrew Yee[_1_] News 0 May 6th 08 04:59 AM
east's direction wind peter Misc 2 November 28th 06 03:38 PM
the East's direction wind peter Misc 1 November 23rd 06 03:44 PM