Venus and Saturn?

Old July 1st 07, 05:19 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
mitch

Default Venus and Saturn?

The sky map I looked at is all wrong.
Saturn at about 05:30 UTC was easily 2 or 3 degrees
away from Venus as they were setting. The sky map shows them to be a lot
closer..what gives?
http://www.fourmilab.ch/cgi-bin/Yoursky

Old July 1st 07, 05:55 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
laura halliday

On Jul 1, 9:19 am, "mitch" wrote:
The sky map I looked at is all wrong.
Saturn at about 05:30 UTC was easily 2 or 3 degrees
away from Venus as they were setting. The sky map shows them to be a lot
closer..what gives?http://www.fourmilab.ch/cgi-bin/Yoursky

They were both in a medium-power telescope field
last night (0500 UTC 1 July), and will be closer tonight.
Venus was a fat crescent, and Saturn was a little
yellow ball with a washer around it. The two planets
were almost vertical.

Maybe something is wrong with your observing?

Laura Halliday VE7LDH "That's a totally illegal,
Grid: CN89mg madcap scheme. I like it!"
ICBM: 49 16.05 N 122 56.92 W - H. Pearce

Old July 1st 07, 05:55 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Anthony Ayiomamitis[_2_]

Mitch,

You may be a day premature. For us in Europe, things get close this
evening with a separation of about 0.5 degrees.

Anthony.

Old July 1st 07, 07:15 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
mitch

"laura halliday" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 1, 9:19 am, "mitch" wrote:
The sky map I looked at is all wrong.
Saturn at about 05:30 UTC was easily 2 or 3 degrees
away from Venus as they were setting. The sky map shows them to be a lot
closer..what gives?http://www.fourmilab.ch/cgi-bin/Yoursky

They were both in a medium-power telescope field
last night (0500 UTC 1 July), and will be closer tonight.
Venus was a fat crescent, and Saturn was a little
yellow ball with a washer around it. The two planets
were almost vertical.

Maybe something is wrong with your observing?

Nope..I observed at 40 - 150 X's in daylight mid and late afternoon in
Calgary
and was puzzled I didn't see Saturn till late evening and quite separated.

Old July 2nd 07, 11:10 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Jul 1, 12:19 pm, "mitch" wrote:

The sky map I looked at is all wrong.
Saturn at about 05:30 UTC was easily 2 or 3 degrees
away from Venus as they were setting.

I suspect you're suffering from the Moon illusion, where things
(including planet pairings) look bigger (or farther) than they really
are when close to the horizon. In fact, Saturn and Venus are still
just under 1 degree apart as I write this. They have been closer than
2 degrees since 11 UT on Thursday, June 28.

- Tony Flanders

Old July 2nd 07, 04:33 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
mitch

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 1, 12:19 pm, "mitch" wrote:

The sky map I looked at is all wrong.
Saturn at about 05:30 UTC was easily 2 or 3 degrees
away from Venus as they were setting.

I suspect you're suffering from the Moon illusion, where things
(including planet pairings) look bigger (or farther) than they really
are when close to the horizon. In fact, Saturn and Venus are still
just under 1 degree apart as I write this. They have been closer than
2 degrees since 11 UT on Thursday, June 28.

- Tony Flanders

Cloudiness was the problem last night but I did see them .

Old July 3rd 07, 02:35 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Glenn Holliday

mitch wrote:
Saturn at about 05:30 UTC was easily 2 or 3 degrees
away from Venus as they were setting. The sky map shows them to be a lot
closer..what gives?

On Saturday evening in the eastern U.S. I photographed and measured
them about a finger width apart, Saturn above Venus.

--
Glenn Holliday
Old July 3rd 07, 02:55 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
John Nichols

"Glenn Holliday" wrote in message
mitch wrote:
Saturn at about 05:30 UTC was easily 2 or 3 degrees
away from Venus as they were setting. The sky map shows them to be a lot
closer..what gives?

On Saturday evening in the eastern U.S. I photographed and measured
them about a finger width apart, Saturn above Venus.

--

Above?!?

When I observed them, Venus was above Saturn. Upstream, Matthew Ota's
picture also shows this relationship.

Color me confused.

Old July 3rd 07, 03:09 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 01:55:01 GMT, "John Nichols"
wrote:

Above?!?

When I observed them, Venus was above Saturn. Upstream, Matthew Ota's
picture also shows this relationship.

Color me confused.

I don't know what you were looking at, but Saturn has been above Venus
for a long time, it was above it on Saturday, and remains above it
tonight (Jul 2). Sometime tomorrow they will have the same altitude, and
then for a few weeks Venus will be higher.

Matthew's picture is clearly rotated. Check the images on Spaceweather,
such as this:
http://www.spaceweather.com/archive....h=07&year=2007
for examples of what you should have seen.

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
http://www.cloudbait.com