Mars Panorama from Spirit

Old September 6th 05, 12:45 AM
Pat Flannery

Default Mars Panorama from Spirit

Spirit has reached the top of Husband Hill and taken a great panoramic
shot of the surrounding terrain from the summit.
Here's the panorama in medium size:
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...A590R1_br2.jpg

And for those who have the connection speed or the patience, here's the
super jumbo version:
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...56T-A590R1.jpg

Mars looks a lot like one of the western deserts of the U.S.

Pat
Old September 6th 05, 03:57 AM
Allen Thomson

Mars looks a lot like one of the western deserts of the U.S.

Mars looks a lot like where I grew up, including the whirlwinds/djinn.

But it needs some cholla and catclaw.

Old September 6th 05, 05:01 AM
Hop David

Allen Thomson wrote:
Mars looks a lot like one of the western deserts of the U.S.

We've been getting a lot of rain in my desert neighborhood (southwestern
Arizona). It is lush and verdent.

The way those boulders are strewn across a hillside looks familiar though.

--
Hop David
http://clowder.net/hop/index.html

Old September 6th 05, 10:38 AM
No One Really

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
Spirit has reached the top of Husband Hill and taken a great panoramic
shot of the surrounding terrain from the summit.
Here's the panorama in medium size:

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...A590R1_br2.jpg

And for those who have the connection speed or the patience, here's the
super jumbo version:

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...56T-A590R1.jpg

Mars looks a lot like one of the western deserts of the U.S.

Just what I was thinking! It's incredible to think that these pictures are
actually from another planet, the sight looks so familiar.

Old September 6th 05, 01:10 PM
Steen

Pat Flannery wrote:

Spirit has reached the top of Husband Hill and taken a great panoramic
shot of the surrounding terrain from the summit.

Wow - if you look in the lower right, you can see the rover tracks. There's
a stone in the middle of the tracks, where the rover has been turning, so
that the wheels haven't been touching the soil around that spot. When I
first saw it, it startled me, because I thought it looked exactly like
footprints from Apollo-style moon boots!

Kinda looks like two persons have been out for a walk ;-)

Oh, to wander the plains of Mars, leaving footprints behind, feeling ones
boots sink just a little bit into the dust, here and there bending down to
disturb the soil, getting red dust on the gloves...

....lying down on the back, feeling the planet behind you...

....finding a good rock to sit down on, just sitting there, for ten minutes
maybe, just looking around, sensing time in a completely new way, in a way
never possible on Earth, knowing that these plains have looked this way for
millions and millions of years...

....finally getting up, going home for a cup of coffee...

When I see these photographs, I can't wait to go.

/steen

Old September 6th 05, 04:25 PM
Steen

nmp wrote:

Nice post, Steen. You romantic fool, you

Thanks. I just looked at that image and -- well, I guess I just got carried
away -- so to speak :-)

Disclaimer: this little video is slightly less than 100% dead-serious.
Should be quite safe for viewing at work though.

:-D Ha! Good one - thanks! Dang, now I'm all thirsty.

Mmm, beer.

/steen

Old September 6th 05, 04:38 PM
Josef W. Segur

Pat Flannery wrote:

Spirit has reached the top of Husband Hill and taken a great panoramic
shot of the surrounding terrain from the summit.
Here's the panorama in medium size:
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...A590R1_br2.jpg

And for those who have the connection speed or the patience, here's the
super jumbo version:
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...56T-A590R1.jpg

There's also a full size version with reasonable JPEG compression (5.5 MiB):
http://photojournal.jpl.nasa.gov/jpeg/PIA04184.jpg

--
Joe
Old September 6th 05, 08:06 PM
Christopher

On Tue, 06 Sep 2005 15:28:39 +0200, nmp wrote:

Nice post, Steen. You romantic fool, you

Yes I also thought those tracks looked like footsteps. A bit.

BTW You may be aware that the Europeans, specially the Dutch, are going to
find life on Mars, right? But instead of hunting all over the surface of
Mars to look for possible traces, they are going to lure the Martians out,
so to speak:

http://www.zupload.com/download.php?...&filepath=2773

(4.7 MB WMV file)

Disclaimer: this little video is slightly less than 100% dead-serious.
Should be quite safe for viewing at work though.

Warning: mysql_pconnect(): Can't connect to local MySQL server through
socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2) in
/home/zupload/public_html/connect/db_con.php on line 6

Fatal error: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket

Old September 6th 05, 08:53 PM
Eric Chomko

No One Really ) wrote:

: ...
:
: http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...A590R1_br2.jpg
:
: And for those who have the connection speed or the patience, here's the
: super jumbo version:
:
: http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...56T-A590R1.jpg
:
: Mars looks a lot like one of the western deserts of the U.S.

: Just what I was thinking! It's incredible to think that these pictures are
: actually from another planet, the sight looks so familiar.

I don't know. The orange sky is definitely otherworldly!
Old September 7th 05, 12:08 AM
jonathan

"Steen" wrote in message
. ..
Pat Flannery wrote:

Spirit has reached the top of Husband Hill and taken a great panoramic
shot of the surrounding terrain from the summit.

Wow - if you look in the lower right, you can see the rover tracks. There's
a stone in the middle of the tracks, where the rover has been turning, so
that the wheels haven't been touching the soil around that spot. When I
first saw it, it startled me, because I thought it looked exactly like
footprints from Apollo-style moon boots!

Kinda looks like two persons have been out for a walk ;-)

Oh, to wander the plains of Mars, leaving footprints behind, feeling ones
boots sink just a little bit into the dust, here and there bending down to
disturb the soil, getting red dust on the gloves...

...lying down on the back, feeling the planet behind you...

Val Kilmer in 'Mission to Mars'.

"I hate this planet"

...finding a good rock to sit down on, just sitting there, for ten minutes
maybe, just looking around, sensing time in a completely new way, in a way
never possible on Earth, knowing that these plains have looked this way for
millions and millions of years...

This is where I'd like to place a chair.
http://mars.gh.wh.uni-dortmund.de/me...L2L5L5L7L7.jpg

Looking out at the plains of Meridiani from the highest point of a crater. Imagining
the shallow ocean that once stood under a cap of ice. Wondering how far
the waves splashed up and over the stromatolites ringing the crater.
While admiring the forest of spheres that coalesce wherever
it's high and dry. A bloom as delicate, natural and undisturbed
as can be imagined.

If I wasn't careful, my mind's eye might add the water, and mistake
it for a view of the Bahamas.
http://www.theflyingcircus.com/stella_maris.html

And if you look carefully, you can still see where the waves broke
around the crater.
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...9P1987R0M1.JPG
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/galle...P1986R0M1.HTML

Look out in the plain, the dunes still reflect the shapes of the waves that lived
there.
http://mars.gh.wh.uni-dortmund.de/me...L2L5L5L7L7.jpg

All the while wondering what might've been swimming around
in that ocean, all those ...hundreds...or thousands of years ago.

Jonathan