Best source for star position data?

Old April 6th 05, 01:30 AM
JohnH.

Default Best source for star position data?

Hi,

Is there a de-facto standard source for star position data? As a
learning exercise I am trying to build a web hosted program to display
the stars near Earth in 3D rotatable display.

I have found the (YBSC) Yale Bright Star Catalog, but this only
contains stars above a certain magnitude and many of the stars lack
parallax data (so, I can not calculate distance).

I have also found Davis Nash's HYG (Hipparcos, Yale, Gliese) catalog,
but that lacks a lot of the supplemental data included in YBSC.

Is there a standard database of star positions used by modern
astronomers?

Thanks,
John

Old April 6th 05, 02:00 PM
Aidan Karley

In article .com,
JohnH. wrote:
Is there a standard database of star positions used by modern
astronomers?

SIMBAD
http://simbad.u-strasbg.fr/Simbad

AIUI, this is a meta-database - a way of accessing many
databases through a common interface.
It's probably not much use for what you want though -
magnitudes, distances, colour information, parallaxes and proper
motions, in a uniform format for storage inside your website.
I remember seeing a database of stars near Earth go past my eyes
recently, possibly mentioned here. But I don't remember what the
address was.

--
Aidan Karley,
Aberdeen, Scotland,

Old April 9th 05, 12:39 AM
Steve Willner

In article .com,
"JohnH." writes:
Is there a standard database of star positions used by modern
astronomers?

There's nothing that contains all known data for all known stars, if
that's what you mean. Someone mentioned SIMBAD, and there's a
catalog service called VizieR
( http://vizier.hia.nrc.ca/viz-bin/VizieR ).
If you just want positions, the various Hipparcos catalogs are the
best around, but they don't go very faint. And despite that, there
are not a lot of other data for most of the Hipparcos stars.

--
Steve Willner Phone 617-495-7123
Cambridge, MA 02138 USA

French's Primordial Study and Schramm & Turner, 1997 greywolf42 Astronomy Misc 19 July 11th 04 06:43 PM
Sun and moon position computer program needed Apr. 23, 2004 edgrsprj UK Astronomy 2 April 23rd 04 09:09 PM
Space Shuttle ypauls Misc 3 March 15th 04 01:12 AM
Pioneer 10 rx error and tx frequencies? ralph sansbury Astronomy Misc 132 February 8th 04 09:45 PM
A single data point. Rich SETI 2 October 8th 03 06:02 AM