ASTRO: From the summer: Network Nebula in Ha, [OIII] and [SII] and other portions of The Veil

Old January 8th 04, 05:08 AM
Richard Crisp

Default ASTRO: From the summer: Network Nebula in Ha, [OIII] and [SII] and other portions of The Veil

I shot this image of the Network Nebula portion of The Veil using Ha, [OIII]
and [SII] filters.

This was one of the first images I shot using this set of filters.

One of the things I really found interesting in this object is how there is
so much difference in the Ha and [OIII] data.

I've seen the Veil in Ha many times. But if you look at it in Ha only, you
are missing a lot of the object.

See if you agree:

http://www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/...in_ha_page.htm

and nearby we have Pickering's Triangle, another portion of The Veil:

http://www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/pickering_page.htm

And just south of Pickering, is where this portion of The Veil is located:

http://www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/...egion_page.htm

and nearby is the Witch's Broom

http://www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/ngc6960_page.htm

here's the entire Veil with the same filters but shot in a single widefield
shot at low resolution: using a different camera and a different scope:

http://www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/...field_page.htm

I hope you enjoy these as much as I did taking them.

Richard

Old January 8th 04, 05:43 AM
Trane Francks

On 01/08/04 14:08 +0900, Richard Crisp wrote:

I hope you enjoy these as much as I did taking them.

Yes, indeed, Richard. Yes, indeed.

trane
// Trane Francks Tokyo, Japan

Old January 8th 04, 07:03 AM
John D'Amico

Thank you Richard. There's a shot of the Horsehead nebula in the first link that is absolutely stunning.

John

Old January 8th 04, 07:49 AM
John D'Amico

(Sorry, from the menu at the left in all the links. It's still amazing...)

Old January 8th 04, 01:51 PM
Richard Crisp

"John D'Amico" wrote in message
t...
Thank you Richard. There's a shot of the Horsehead nebula in the first

link that is absolutely stunning.

Hi John,

Thanks for the comments. I am puzzled by your comment about the Horsehead:
did I provide a link to the Horsehead instead of the Veil in my posting? I
looked again but only saw Veil pix. Please help me understand.

Thanks
Richard

Old January 8th 04, 06:12 PM
John D'Amico

"Richard Crisp" asks...
Hi John,
Thanks for the comments. I am puzzled by your comment about the Horsehead:
did I provide a link to the Horsehead instead of the Veil in my posting? I
looked again but only saw Veil pix. Please help me understand.

My mistake, I opened the first link you gave and it was most definitely the veil, but I jumped over to the listing on the left,
which is where I found:
http://www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/...34_S2HaNir.jpg
and...
http://www.rdcrisp.darkhorizons.org/...lrgb_small.jpg

I was just so taken by both that I posted to the N/G before I continued on to the other links, and realized that all the links you
gave had the index on the left.

Old January 9th 04, 05:09 PM
Stefan Lilge

Richard,

impressive detail in these pictures, especially Pickering's Triangular Wisp
which is very faint...

Stefan

m...

Old January 10th 04, 09:46 PM
George Normandin

"Richard Crisp" wrote

I shot this image of the Network Nebula portion of The Veil using Ha,

[OIII]
and [SII] filters.

Richard,

That's a great set of images! Very interesting!
I've seen the Veil in Ha many times. But if you look at it in Ha only, you
are missing a lot of the object.

Yep! Looking a nebulae in different wave lengths will give a deeper
understanding of the object.

BTW: The Veil looks different visually with O-III and UHC filters. I've
never tried an H-alpha, but I will (next summer).

George Normandin