Number of Stars in Universe as f(age of universe)?

Old November 26th 16, 06:05 PM posted to sci.astro.research
[email protected]

Default Number of Stars in Universe as f(age of universe)?

Using the currently observable universe, how many stars have existed as
a function of age of the universe?

ie, at universe age 0.721 Gyr, 1.721 Gyr....to present 13.721 Gyr, how
many stars existed within the region of the universe we are able to see
today?

Today I have read that there are ~100E9 galaxies and ~100E9 stars per
galaxy, so that's 1.0E22 stars today. Is there a figure for the number
of stars that were born as a function of age of the universe? (per
Mpc^3 is fine too).

Thanks,

rt

Old November 27th 16, 06:33 AM posted to sci.astro.research

On Saturday, November 26, 2016 at 5:58:48 PM UTC-8, Phillip Helbig (undress to reply) wrote:
In article ,
writes:

Using the currently observable universe, how many stars have existed as
a function of age of the universe?

Keep in mind that the observable universe has been increasing in size.
So even if there were a constant number of stars per co-moving volume,
we would see more and more as time goes on. But OK, you specified the
CURRENTLY observable universe.

This is essentially the Madau diagramme which I mentioned in a previous
post.

I found

https://ned.ipac.caltech.edu/level5/...s/figure11.jpg

But when I plugged in the peak value, it was 2.0E21, about 10x too low.

rt