Griffen Testimony

Old November 3rd 05, 09:31 PM
snidely

Default Griffen Testimony

From the AP, via Yahoo
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051103/ap_on_sc/nasa, this on Griffen's
latest testimony:

quote
NASA's top priorities are a replacement for the space shuttle and
completing the international space station, and some other programs are
being cut or deferred to concentrate the agency's resources, NASA
Administrator Michael D. Griffin said Thursday.

"NASA cannot afford to do everything on its plate today," he told the
House Science Committee. Funding priorities required the agency to
cancel several programs that "we either did not need or did not need
right now," Griffin said.

For example, it seemed like putting the cart before the horse to
continue life science studies about how people respond to being in
space before the agency was sure it could put people back in space, he
said.
/quote

/dps

Old November 4th 05, 02:38 AM
Bob Haller

basically he is gutting everything in a attempt to afford a new launch
system.

sad to say the new system might be safer, but given its shuttle roots
would be low cost enough...

nasa runs the risk of being irrevelant, private industry might make
nasa look really lame

Old November 4th 05, 04:09 PM
Jim Kingdon

nasa runs the risk of being irrevelant, private industry might make
nasa look really lame

Well, I hope private industry does. Because if so, more will be
possible in space, more cheaply. Both for NASA and for everyone else.

But I'm not sure how quickly that will be happening. The big
aerospace companies aren't likely to try to push EELV together with
something for rendezvous, on-orbit assembly, etc. And the
entrepreneurs haven't gotten to orbit yet, much less solved all those
problems.

Old November 5th 05, 03:44 AM
ruzicka

"Jim Kingdon" wrote in message
news
nasa runs the risk of being irrevelant, private industry might make
nasa look really lame

Well, I hope private industry does. Because if so, more will be
possible in space, more cheaply. Both for NASA and for everyone else.

But I'm not sure how quickly that will be happening. The big
aerospace companies aren't likely to try to push EELV together with
something for rendezvous, on-orbit assembly, etc. And the
entrepreneurs haven't gotten to orbit yet, much less solved all those
problems.

I'm not sure about Boeing, but Lockheed Martin has indeed been looking at
the continued "evolution" of the Atlas family of launch vehicles, including
Saturn V class and beyond, as well as on-orbit transfer vehicles.