Delta-IV Heavy First Flight Status & Delta-IV Growth Options

Old August 11th 04, 08:06 PM
Iain Young

Default Delta-IV Heavy First Flight Status & Delta-IV Growth Options

According to the launch schedule at:

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/tracking/index.html the first flight
of the Delta-IV Heavy has slipped to "Mid October".

I went surfing to see if I could find out any details on why the
flight slipped, but couldn't find much. I did find a "Delta-IV Heavy
First Flight" page at:

http://www.boeing.com/defense-space/...y/sitemap.html

One of the PDFs linked from this site is this little gem:

http://www.boeing.com/defense-space/...th_options.pdf

Its very similar to slide 7 of:

http://www.spacecongress.org/2004/Panel-4/2Collins.pdf, which was
presented at the 2004 Space Congress, but adds a few details - and in
fact answers some points that were raised in the "Delta 4 : heavier
and bigger" thread on here a couple of months ago.

(see http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e... .196.105.134 for the beginning of the thread )

Simply put, the RS-68B is indeed an upgraded version of the RS68,
with the RS-68 Regen being a RS-68 with a regenerative nozzle.

'Dens' was indeed Cryo Propellant Densification. Al-li is
Aliminium Lithium Lightweight material.

One thing I did find interesting is that Boeing are at least looking
at upto 6.5M payload fairings with pad mods.

The RS-800 seems to be a paper engine at present (Althugh, I guess they
know how powerfull they want/need it to be)

The AUS referenced would appear to be a similar spec to the MB-60,
which according to http://www.boeing.com/defense-space/...opul/mb60.html
should be avaliable 'now'.

Iain
Old August 12th 04, 08:53 PM
Damon Hill

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 12:06:54 -0700, Iain Young wrote:

The AUS referenced would appear to be a similar spec to the MB-60, which
according to http://www.boeing.com/defense-space/...opul/mb60.html
should be avaliable 'now'.

The Advanced Upper Stage would presumably use a MB-60 or RL60 (neither of
which appears to be 'available' just at the moment), have more tankage
and be strengthened for the greater thrust and payloads.

Al-Li tanks, higher thrust RS-68 variants and most other improvements could
be added to any existing version of Delta IV and launch pad facility, so
the Delta IV seems to have a solid future--assuming the launch market
is large enough to keep up Boeing's interest.

That bodes moderately well for a real heavy-lift variant of Delta IV
requiring a new launch pad as well as present facilities. I hope Boeing
can keep costs down, but they're going to be facing competition for the
lower end of Delta IV's market.

Boeing also appears to be interested in Kistler and their as-yet
unfinished fully reusable two-stage launcher.

--Damon
Old August 13th 04, 02:17 PM
Allen Thomson

Iain Young wrote

http://www.boeing.com/defense-space/...y/sitemap.html

Anybody know what the "Nanosat-2" payloads are?

http://www.boeing.com/defense-space/...t_profile.html
Old August 13th 04, 02:51 PM
Explorer8939

Damon Hill wrote in message ...

Boeing also appears to be interested in Kistler and their as-yet
unfinished fully reusable two-stage launcher.

What does this mean?
Old August 13th 04, 04:33 PM
Iain Young

On 2004-08-13, Allen Thomson wrote:

Iain Young wrote

http://www.boeing.com/defense-space/...y/sitemap.html

Anybody know what the "Nanosat-2" payloads are?

http://www.boeing.com/defense-space/...t_profile.html

See http://www.boeing.com/defense-space/...h_nanosat.html

Iain
Old August 14th 04, 09:37 PM
Douglas Holmes

"Iain Young" wrote in message
According to the launch schedule at:

http://www.spaceflightnow.com/tracking/index.html the first flight
of the Delta-IV Heavy has slipped to "Mid October".

I went surfing to see if I could find out any details on why the
flight slipped, but couldn't find much. I did find a "Delta-IV Heavy
First Flight" page at:

http://www.boeing.com/defense-space/...y/sitemap.html

One of the PDFs linked from this site is this little gem:

http://www.boeing.com/defense-space/...th_options.pdf

Some really good info.
Thank you very much.

If Boeing follows through on this there is no need for any Shuttle derived
or clean sheet approach Heavy lift.

Simply put, the RS-68B is indeed an upgraded version of the RS68,
with the RS-68 Regen being a RS-68 with a regenerative nozzle.

'Dens' was indeed Cryo Propellant Densification. Al-li is
Aliminium Lithium Lightweight material.

One thing I did find interesting is that Boeing are at least looking
at upto 6.5M payload fairings with pad mods.

Killer Size.
Combined with Bigelow's inflatables it allows very big structures.
Based on that 9 meter payload fairings could be possible on the next
generation version.

The RS-800 seems to be a paper engine at present (Althugh, I guess they
know how powerfull they want/need it to be)

I am guessing just based on model number 800,000 pounds of thrust at sea
level.

The AUS referenced would appear to be a similar spec to the MB-60,
which according to

http://www.boeing.com/defense-space/...opul/mb60.html
should be avaliable 'now'.

It is very hard based on my experience to find any good info on when it will
actually launch.