astrophotography

Old August 18th 03, 10:08 PM
John

Default astrophotography

hello group

I have aqn old SLR (olympus OM10) and I would like to use it with orion
europa 150 (which I haven't bought yet but hopefully will do soon).

a few questions hopefully someone will answer:

1. is there a mount for this camera to this telescope

2. is a digital camera better for this kind of work, and if so, which
one? (I have a digital cam but it is a c-840L (i think) and doesn't have
a removable centre like the om10). I reckon it would be difficult to
mount on the telescope.

tia
--
John - http://www.reiteration.net/~jfm
Hitting 'reply' sends your email to the bit-bucket. To reply via email
Old August 19th 03, 01:00 AM
ChrisH

On 18 Aug 2003 21:08:44 GMT, John wrote:

hello group

I have aqn old SLR (olympus OM10) and I would like to use it with orion
europa 150 (which I haven't bought yet but hopefully will do soon).

a few questions hopefully someone will answer:

1. is there a mount for this camera to this telescope

2. is a digital camera better for this kind of work, and if so, which
one? (I have a digital cam but it is a c-840L (i think) and doesn't have
a removable centre like the om10). I reckon it would be difficult to
mount on the telescope.

tia

Are you talking about taking pictures of the Moon or planets? A
digital camera is good for that job, and the one you have will work if
used afocally (attached to the end of an eyepiece, either physically
with a screwed adapter or using a bracket to hold it in place). The
OM10 will work too but using film limits the number of pictures you
take and is obviously more expensive to use. With a digital camera you
take dozens of frames and maybe keep a couple - that's expensive using
a 35mm camera.

The 35mm SLR is still a good way to go for taking pictures of deep-sky
objects but exposures are long - maybe 20min to an hour or more - so
you need a good mounting that can track without trailing the stars.
The OM10 is a camera that relies on it's battery to keep the shutter
open, you can still use it of course but batteries don't last very
long. The older OM1 is preferred as it is not dependent on a battery
for it's 'B' setting.

ChrisH

UK Astro Ads: http://www.UKAstroAds.co.uk

Old August 19th 03, 11:13 AM
anonymous

On 19 Aug 2003 02:38:02 GMT, John wrote:

snip

The older OM1 is preferred as it is not dependent on a battery
for it's 'B' setting.

I think I'll have to stick with the om-10 for money reasons though.

There are A LOT of very good sites to get you started with loads of
tips and trix.
Here are some of them...

http://voltaire.csun.edu/hints.html
http://www.astropix.com/INDEX.HTM
http://www.robertreeves.com/index.html
http://www.cloudynights.com/astrophotography.htm

Old August 19th 03, 12:34 PM
John

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 10:13:54 GMT, anonymous wrote:

[snippety]

http://voltaire.csun.edu/hints.html
http://www.astropix.com/INDEX.HTM
http://www.robertreeves.com/index.html
http://www.cloudynights.com/astrophotography.htm

whoa! thanks, just what I was looking for!