observing report 20 feb

Old February 22nd 04, 12:56 PM
Craig Levine

Default observing report 20 feb

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 12:02:53 +0100, "Steven Van Impe"
wrote:

It was the first cloudless night in three months. And it was new moon. And
we had a suitable dark location. And lots of telescopes. The recipe for a
perfect mini-star party! Whoohoo! :-)

I had a 20 cm f/6.5 dobsonian at my disposal, fitted with a 25mm plössl
eyepiece and a really crappy finder. I replaced it with my own, only
slightlty less crappy, plastic finder and made a mental note to finally
build a decent 7x50 finder using that old broken binocular. Or get a red dot
finder.

Thanks for the report Steven! You mihgt want to post this on the
"starrynights" Yahoo eGroup at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/starrynights/messages. It' dedicated to
observing and observing reports.

Did anyone else get some observing in this weekend? The only clear
night that we had in Nova Scotia was Friday night. The sky was
pristine and the atmosphere steady. Unfortunately, we had a 24hr
blizzard that dumped 40 inches of snow on us (more than doubled the
previous record from 50 years ago). By the time I finished shoveling -
12 hours worth - I was too sore, tired, and headachy to even think
about moving my equipment out. That, and my back deck had a 5 foot
drift on it...

6 more inches of the white stuff due today :-(

Cheers,

- Craig

Craig Levine
Observing Chairman
RASC, Halifax Centre
www.halifax.rasc.ca
Old February 22nd 04, 03:30 PM
Florian

Did anyone else get some observing in this weekend?

Enjoyed your report Steven. Craig, it's still raining in southern Calif. =
And me with a brand new TV76 since Thursday that hasn't seen stars yet. =
;-(

-Florian

Old February 22nd 04, 06:16 PM
Marty

Steven was saying
I decided for one last target; the famous
NGC 1502 with Kemble's Cascade.
Somehow, I had never been able to find
it, although people tell me it's easy. I
started scanning the environment with
my binoculars, and soon I had it. And
the Cascade as well! Wow! How long is
this line, 2=B0 or something? A sight to
remember.

That it is! I've done this for a lot of years, but I'd never heard of
Kemble's Cascade until a nice pic of it showed up on the APOD a few
years ago. Since then, I seldom go out with binoculars without taking a
look at it. One of my favorites!
Nice report!
Marty