If a satellite falls in the ocean, can anyone hear it?

Old March 2nd 09, 09:27 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Rick Jones[_3_]

Default If a satellite falls in the ocean, can anyone hear it?

I was watching a program on cable the other evening where people were
talking about how the Tu-95 Bear was so loud insert Match Game
reference here that it could be heard and tracked on SOSUS. That got
me wondering - if a satellite (or meteorite) were to strike the ocean,
might something like SOSUS be able to hear it and so help determine
the point of impact?

rick jones
Old March 2nd 09, 11:34 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Alan Erskine[_2_]

"Rick Jones" wrote in message
I was watching a program on cable the other evening where people were
talking about how the Tu-95 Bear was so loud insert Match Game
reference here that it could be heard and tracked on SOSUS. That got
me wondering - if a satellite (or meteorite) were to strike the ocean,
might something like SOSUS be able to hear it and so help determine
the point of impact?

opinion I would think it would be just a big splash, whereas the Tu-95
would make a more constant noise. A splash might be lost in the background
noise.

Old March 3rd 09, 12:35 AM posted to sci.space.policy
BradGuth

On Mar 2, 1:27*pm, Rick Jones wrote:
I was watching a program on cable the other evening where people were
talking about how the Tu-95 Bear was so loud insert Match Game
reference here that it could be heard and tracked on SOSUS. *That got
me wondering - if a satellite (or meteorite) were to strike the ocean,
might something like SOSUS be able to hear it and so help determine
the point of impact?

rick jones

Depends a little on what nearly a billion worth of satellite, spent
rocket parts and nearly a decade worth of a couple dozen highly paid
physics and science expertise plus infrastructure should sound like.

As of lately our NASA has been dropping and/or exploding a number of
spendy missions and R&D that wasn't supposed to go thump, splat or
kaboom.

If we could find that supposedly defective OCO clamshell, there's a
good chance an independent team of CSI could uncover how and by who it
was sabotaged.

~ BG
Old March 3rd 09, 12:38 AM posted to sci.space.policy
BradGuth

On Mar 2, 3:34*pm, "Alan Erskine" wrote:
"Rick Jones" wrote in message

I was watching a program on cable the other evening where people were
talking about how the Tu-95 Bear was so loud insert Match Game
reference here that it could be heard and tracked on SOSUS. *That got
me wondering - if a satellite (or meteorite) were to strike the ocean,
might something like SOSUS be able to hear it and so help determine
the point of impact?

opinion I would think it would be just a big splash, whereas the Tu-95
would make a more constant noise. *A splash might be lost in the background
noise.

We should know within a km2 as to the splashdown of our spendy OCO.

~ BG
Old March 3rd 09, 04:48 AM posted to sci.space.policy
Fred J. McCall[_3_]

Rick Jones wrote:
:
:I was watching a program on cable the other evening where people were
:talking about how the Tu-95 Bear was so loud insert Match Game
:reference here that it could be heard and tracked on SOSUS. That got
:me wondering - if a satellite (or meteorite) were to strike the ocean,
:might something like SOSUS be able to hear it and so help determine
:the point of impact?
:

No.

--George Bernard Shaw