ASTRO: Abell 2199 anchored by the odd NGC 6166

Old September 3rd 11, 07:54 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default ASTRO: Abell 2199 anchored by the odd NGC 6166

NGC6166 anchors the galaxy cluster Abell 2199 in western Hercules at
about 410 million light-years. So why did it make my Arp-like list? If
you dig into its core you find there are four objects in there. Or are
they foreground objects or background ones seen right through the
galaxy? Adding to the confusion, three of the four have red shift data
which vary rather greatly. While NGC 6166 is listed with a redshift of
about 413 million light years, component A has a redshift that puts it
422 million light-years distant, B 369 million and C 446 million. Seems
hard to believe objects around the center of the galaxy could have such
a wide variation in velocity. How was the 413 figure determined, an
average? That is 408 if the pure mean is used. There is a 4th component
D is not listed in NED though it is listed at the NGC Project. My image
seems to show a 5th member south of B/D and north of C. I think I see
it in the Sloan image as well. Likely is just a foreground star.
Adding to the confusion, there are 4 galaxies carrying the NGC 6166 name
labeled A through D that are unrelated to the core features A through D.
These galaxies are identified by name in the annotated image.

I normally list cluster members by catalog number in the annotated image
but this one is so dense even listing just by redshift distance is
difficult. Those few with NGC or other commonly used numbers are shown.
There's an interesting blue object NW of NGC6166 at a redshift
determined distance of 5.3 billion light years. It's very unusual to
see a blue object at this distance that isn't a quasar. This one is
reported as a Ultraviolet Excess object by the Galex Uv orbiting
observatory and as a galaxy by the Sloan Survey. Usually UvES objects
are quasars but in this case it appears it really is a very active blue
galaxy that is amazingly bright. Compare it to the small cluster galaxy
above it that is rather red. Hard to tell the blue one is 11 times
further away.

Unlike most fields, nearly every obvious galaxy had a listed redshift.
There were only a few exceptions. They were listed in NED, unlike the
totally missing ones I often find, just had no red shift data. I left
those blank. So when you see one with no red shift it isn't that I
missed it, there was none to list. Since it didn't happen all that
often this annotation is by far the most complex I've done. It took
more than the hour or so most take. I hope this is the all time record.
I'm not looking forward to another! All the labels made the
compressed size of the image twice as large as normal. I try to keep
the size of these under about 145K but this one came in at nearly 300K.

NED says NGC 6166 is 1.9 minutes along its long dimension. This means
it is about 225 million light-years in diameter. That's one huge
galaxy. It is classed as a cD elliptical. Nearly everything around it
is puny by comparison. While it is far larger than our Milky Way galaxy
the others in the group is mostly smaller than our galaxy. The
exception is UGC 10420 at a diameter of 150 million light-years. It is
a barred spiral classed as SB(r)b.

Many of the cluster members are of about the same angular size as the
far more distant galaxies in the image. Many of these cluster at about
1 billion light-years and other groups at 2.3 and 3.5 billion
light-years. Quasars are scattered about the image ranging out past 10
billion light-years. These are hard to find among the trees of cluster
dwarf galaxies in the annotated image. I probably should have only
annotated non cluster galaxies.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10', RGB=2x10'x3, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NG6166L4X10RGB2X10X3.JPG
Views:	455
Size:	274.9 KB
ID:	3713  Click image for larger version

Name:	NG6166L4X10RGB2X10X3-ID.JPG
Views:	824
Size:	297.9 KB
ID:	3714  Click image for larger version

Name:	SDSS-NGC6766.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	3715
Old September 4th 11, 08:43 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Rick,

there is a lot going on in this image. I have to admit that my favourite in
this image is the barred spiral in the upper left corner that is partially
cut off.

Stefan

. com...

Old September 4th 11, 10:21 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

If I'd have realized how neat it was going to be I'd have framed things
differently. I saw it so lowered NGC 6166 but not enough. Seemed to
get it when looking at my 10 second framing images. Oh well, there's
always next year.

Rick

On 9/4/2011 2:43 PM, Stefan Lilge wrote:
Rick,

there is a lot going on in this image. I have to admit that my favourite in
this image is the barred spiral in the upper left corner that is partially
cut off.

Stefan

. com...