Flat Earther and AGW Denier to head nasa into obscurity.

Old May 8th 18, 04:28 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

Default Flat Earther and AGW Denier to head nasa into obscurity.

Gary Harnagel wrote in
:

On Monday, May 7, 2018 at 6:00:01 PM UTC-6, Quadibloc wrote:

On Monday, May 7, 2018 at 5:23:18 PM UTC-6, Jibini Kula Tumbili
Kujisalimisha wrote:

and his results have never been dupcated after over a
century.

Ah, but was that after a century _of trying_?

...to paraphrase a John W. Campbell essay on cigarette smoking.

So, while I agree it would be a stretch, a partisan of the
MacDougall experiment could point out that the atheistic
scientism conspiracy has discouraged others from attempting to
repeat his experiment.

John Savard

The real reason was much simpler than that. MacDougall was
disinvited from the hospital where he was doing the experiments
and he could find no hospital that would allow him to continue.
The same mindset is still very much in play: it's ghoulish,
it's irreverent, it's inhumane, etc.

Yes, yes, it's all a giant conspiracy.

Today, it is indeed inhumane because when many patients are near
death doctors perform intervention techniques which would
interfere with a balance.

And speaking of conspiracy theories, I was just reading about
scientific reserch that indicates that people do not believe in
conspiracy theories because they seem likely to be true, but rather
because it makes them feel special. And the more ridiculous the
theory, the more special they feel, as part of a small elite who
knows the truth.

In your case, of course, it's the "short bus to school" sort of
special.

--
Terry Austin

Vacation photos from Iceland:

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Old May 8th 18, 04:30 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha

Chris L Peterson wrote in
:

On Tue, 8 May 2018 05:03:08 -0700 (PDT), Gary Harnagel
wrote:

On Monday, May 7, 2018 at 5:32:49 PM UTC-6, Chris L Peterson
wrote:

On Mon, 7 May 2018 15:02:53 -0700 (PDT), Gary Harnagel
wrote:

"If you can't be interesting without profanity, then let's
face it:
You're not that interesting." -- Michael Hyatt

“The sort of twee person who thinks swearing is in any way a
sign of a lack of education or a lack of verbal interest is
just a ****ing lunatic.” -- Stephen Fry

Says somebody who is much, much smarter and much, much more
interesting that Hyatt! (And studies show that the swearing is
a sign of intelligence and high literacy.)

https://www.verywell.com/foul-langua...dementia-97610

So you and Fry are saying that people with dementia are more
intelligent and have high literacy? :-))

Not too bright, are you?

He obviously can't tell the difference between cause and effect, or
correlation and causation.

He's actually stupider than you. It's amazing he can manage walking
and breathing at the same time. Though, I suppose, there's really
no evidence he can, or that he's not hooked up to a respirator
while posting to Usenet.

Old May 9th 18, 12:29 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gary Harnagel

wrote:

"If you can't be interesting without profanity, then let's face it:
You're not that interesting." -- Michael Hyatt

“The sort of twee person who thinks swearing is in any way a sign of a
lack of education or a lack of verbal interest is just a ****ing
lunatic.” -- Stephen Fry

Says somebody who is much, much smarter and much, much more
interesting that Hyatt! (And studies show that the swearing is a sign
of intelligence and high literacy.)

https://www.verywell.com/foul-langua...dementia-97610

So you and Fry are saying that people with dementia are more intelligent
and have high literacy? :-))

Not too bright, are you?

I'm not the one claiming intelligent people have dementia :-))
Old May 9th 18, 07:08 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Ninapenda Jibini

Gary Harnagel wrote in
:

wrote:

"If you can't be interesting without profanity, then
let's face it:
You're not that interesting." -- Michael Hyatt

“The sort of twee person who thinks swearing is in any
way a

sign of a
lack of education or a lack of verbal interest is just a
****ing lunatic.” -- Stephen Fry

Says somebody who is much, much smarter and much, much more
interesting that Hyatt! (And studies show that the swearing
is a sign of intelligence and high literacy.)

https://www.verywell.com/foul-langua...dementia-97610

So you and Fry are saying that people with dementia are more
intelligen

and have high literacy? :-))

Not too bright, are you?

I'm not the one claiming intelligent people have dementia :-))

You're both a pretty convincing argument that stupid people do,
though.

Old May 10th 18, 06:25 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
David Goldfarb

In article ,
Gary Harnagel wrote:
It is a belief by many physicists that information is conserved:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_...mation_paradox

I'm not sure about that, but if it's so then memories can't just evaporate.

Take a book. Lots of information there. Burn it. Information gone.
I see no reason why the information contained in a brain should be
any less destroyable.

--
David Goldfarb | "Oh, death from on high. Neat."
Old May 10th 18, 12:33 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gary Harnagel

On Wednesday, May 9, 2018 at 11:45:05 PM UTC-6, David Goldfarb wrote:

In article ,
Gary Harnagel wrote:

It is a belief by many physicists that information is conserved:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_...mation_paradox

I'm not sure about that, but if it's so then memories can't just
evaporate.

Take a book. Lots of information there. Burn it. Information gone.
I see no reason why the information contained in a brain should be
any less destroyable.

--
David Goldfarb | "Oh, death from on high. Neat."
| -- Tom Servo, Mystery Science Theater 3000
| "Gamera"

Yep, that seems to be true, but quantum field theory, the most accurate
theory we have, says otherwise:

https://van.physics.illinois.edu/qa/...g.php?id=24045

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BU1Y0OrXTxE

https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...bdbccbd530e 1
Old May 26th 18, 08:11 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_3_]

On Fri, 4 May 2018 05:15:00 -0700 (PDT), Gary Harnagel
wrote:
I see our civilization progressing to the point where goods are

virtually
free because automatic machines will make them, and machines will

service
the machines,

People have expected that for some 150 years now but it still hasn't
happened...

freeing people to do "something else." But what should
that "something else" be? Jesus and the Apostles had "something

else":
preaching the gospel. Should I preach the gospel at you? :-)

You already do, however you don't live as you preach. And when this
hypocrisy is pointed out at you, you just shrug and say "I'm not
perfect"...
Old May 26th 18, 09:16 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_3_]

On Sat, 5 May 2018 04:23:46 -0700 (PDT), Gary Harnagel
wrote:
Wow! And all that just because I have asked for a little less over-
confidence, a little more caution about unintended consequences and

little more evidence for GW, particularly AGW.

What's next? Will you ask for more evidence that the Earth is not
flat?

Scientifically the question about AGW is settled. Read the scientific
literature if you want to educate yourself. What remains is ideology,
politics - and, unfortunately, denial and fake news.
Old May 26th 18, 09:29 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_3_]

On Sun, 6 May 2018 19:54:54 -0700 (PDT), Gary Harnagel
wrote:
On Sunday, May 6, 2018 at 7:00:55 PM UTC-6, Chris L Peterson wrote:
On Sun, 6 May 2018 13:44:35 -0700 (PDT), Gary Harnagel

There was no evidence for the Higgs particle before it was

found. There
was only a theory that said it ought to exist.

Nonsense. There was a great deal of evidence, which is why so

much was
invested in the search. Again, you demonstrate profound ignorance

of
science.

No, sir! There was NO evidence until it was actually detected. You
are making a really bad show here, old boy.

There were strong theoretical implications that the Higgs boson ought
to exist. They knew what they were looking for. Your phrase "NO
evidence" implies also the lack of these theoretical implications.
Old May 26th 18, 12:31 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gary Harnagel

wrote:

I see our civilization progressing to the point where goods are
virtually free because automatic machines will make them, and machines
will service the machines,

People have expected that for some 150 years now but it still hasn't
happened...

150 years is an instant in the life of a civilization.

freeing people to do "something else." But what should
that "something else" be? Jesus and the Apostles had "something
else": preaching the gospel. Should I preach the gospel at you? :-)

You already do,

Actually, I don't. Reminding you of an alternative life style is NOT
preaching.

however you don't live as you preach.

I'm not preaching. You seem to have a rather thin skin.

And when this hypocrisy is pointed out at you, you just shrug and say
"I'm not perfect"...

Is that an excuse for you to ignore His teachings? There is no shame in
being imperfect. The REAL shame is in not trying to improve oneself.

Wow! And all that just because I have asked for a little less over-
confidence, a little more caution about unintended consequences and
a little more evidence for GW, particularly AGW.

What's next? Will you ask for more evidence that the Earth is not
flat?

Straw-man argument.

"straw man — caricaturing a position to make it easier to attack"

https://www.brainpickings.org/2014/0...it-carl-sagan/

This, of course, indicates REAL hypocrisy.

Scientifically the question about AGW is settled.

Science is NEVER "settled." Science is about building models of the world
around us and testing them against experimental evidence. NO model is
perfect, and when a model fails to predict what actually happens, one
should try to find out why.

"2. Encourage substantive debate on the evidence by knowledgeable proponents
of all points of view.

"3. Arguments from authority carry little weight — “authorities” have made
mistakes in the past. They will do so again in the future. Perhaps a better
way to say it is that in science there are no authorities; at most, there
are experts.

"4. Spin more than one hypothesis. If there’s something to be explained,
think of all the different ways in which it could be explained."

Read the scientific literature if you want to educate yourself.

I have probably read more about GW than you have.

What remains is ideology, politics - and, unfortunately, denial and fake
news.

I see a LOT of that from the AGW advocates.

There were strong theoretical implications that the Higgs boson ought
to exist. They knew what they were looking for. Your phrase "NO
evidence" implies also the lack of these theoretical implications.

Your definition of "evidence" is different from mine. To me, "evidence"
is actual measurement. There is "theoretical evidence" against GW and I
have cited such. But I don't count that as REAL evidence, it just means
that the science is not as "settled" as the AGW advocates zealously claim.

Calling people flat-earthers, science-deniers, etc., accomplishes little
besides polarization. I really don't understand what you're trying to
accomplish by re-opening this multi-pronged dialog with no new information.