Rohrabacher calls for emergency commercial funding

Old August 30th 11, 03:04 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Hop

Default Rohrabacher calls for emergency commercial funding

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/ind...?topic=26560.0

She suggests transferring money from SLS to help fund commercial crew:

“We need to get on with the task of building affordable launch systems
to meet our nation’s needs for access to low Earth orbit, instead of
promoting grandiose concepts which keep us vulnerable in the short and
medium terms. The most responsible course of action for the United
States is to dramatically accelerate the commercial crew systems
already under development.

“I am calling on General Bolden, the NASA Administrator, to propose an
emergency transfer of funding from unobligated balances in other
programs, including the Space Launch System, to NASA’s commercial crew
initiative. Funding should be used to speed up the efforts of the
four current industry partners to develop their systems and
potentially expand the recent awards to include the best applicants
for launch vehicle development."
Old August 30th 11, 03:07 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jorge R. Frank

On 08/30/2011 09:04 AM, Hop wrote:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/ind...?topic=26560.0

She suggests transferring money from SLS to help fund commercial crew:

Rohrabacher is a "he".
Old August 30th 11, 03:59 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Hop

On Aug 30, 7:07*am, "Jorge R. Frank" wrote:
On 08/30/2011 09:04 AM, Hop wrote:

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/ind...?topic=26560.0

She suggests transferring money from SLS to help fund commercial crew:

Rohrabacher is a "he".

Thanks for the correction. I guess Dana is a name like "Chris", could
be male or female.

I like his support for commercial crew.
Old August 30th 11, 04:26 PM posted to sci.space.policy
jacob navia[_5_]

Le 30/08/11 16:04, Hop a écrit :
[...]

I still do not understand the logic behind giving public founds to
private entreprises.

Either the private entreprise is private and shareholders share the
profits and the looses, or it is public and the taxpayers pays for it
and reaps the rewards.

As you would have it, the profits are private and the risk and
investments should be payed by the taxpayers.

??
Old August 30th 11, 05:26 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Nomen Nescio

"Hop" wrote in message ...
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/ind...?topic=26560.0

She suggests transferring money from SLS to help fund commercial crew:

“We need to get on with the task of building affordable launch systems
to meet our nation’s needs for access to low Earth orbit, instead of
promoting grandiose concepts which keep us vulnerable in the short and
medium terms. The most responsible course of action for the United
States is to dramatically accelerate the commercial crew systems
already under development.

What good is this going to do? The commercial firms are already well on
their way with delivering cargo to ISS and extra funding won't speed
this up.

And bsides all spacecraft are vulnerable. Soyuz has a good track record
and that it fails now is simply bad luck or bad oversight. There's a
good chance the Russians will fix it way before SpaceX or anyone else
can haul cargo or crew to ISS.

SLS and MCPV aren't so bad since if the Chinese finally reveal their
Martian flyby plans you don't want to be in the position of not having
a large carrier rocket that could be used to beat them to the finish
line.

Old August 30th 11, 06:29 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Matt Wiser

On Aug 30, 7:04*am, Hop wrote:
[...]

And Rep. Rohrabcher's plan has ZERO chance of getting out of
committee. If he was Chairman, he'd be in a better position. But since
Rep. Ralph Hall (R-TX) is chair, and fights hard for NASA's own launch
vehicle and capsule, forget it.
Old August 30th 11, 06:40 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley

In article 56553d2d-cd6e-445f-90f9-
, says...

[...]

Sounds good to me. I'd like to see both Dragon and CST-100 spacecraft
flying commercial crew missions to ISS.

Jeff
--
" Ares 1 is a prime example of the fact that NASA just can't get it
up anymore... and when they can, it doesn't stay up long. "
Old August 30th 11, 06:43 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley

In article , says...

Le 30/08/11 16:04, Hop a écrit :
[...]

The alternative, in the US, appears to be Orion, which is an all
government owned and operated vehicle. How would that be better?

Jeff
Old August 30th 11, 06:46 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Jeff Findley

In article ,
says...

"Hop" wrote in message ...
[...]

Which is why having multiple different types of spacecraft is a good
thing. I'd like to see both Orion and CST-100 flying to ISS. A failure
in one of them wouldn't "end US manned spaceflight".

SLS and MCPV aren't so bad since if the Chinese finally reveal their
Martian flyby plans you don't want to be in the position of not having
a large carrier rocket that could be used to beat them to the finish
line.

The Chinese aren't going to beat the US to Mars. They're nowhere near
ready for such a mission. They're still catching up to the 1970's
technologies that the US and Russia had with Apollo, Skylab, Soyuz, and
Salyut.

Jeff
Old August 30th 11, 06:57 PM posted to sci.space.policy
Alan Erskine[_3_]

On 31/08/2011 1:26 AM, jacob navia wrote:

I still do not understand the logic behind giving public founds to
private entreprises.

You mean like the money that's given to Boeing, Lockheed etc?