How Were the Rockets Held Up?

Old April 13th 05, 07:37 AM
Von Fourche

Default How Were the Rockets Held Up?

How exactly were the rockets held in place when they were on their
launch pads during the Gemini and Apollo missions? They simply didn't sit
on their engines. How did the launch pad hold up so much weight?

Also, when the rocket engines were ignited, did the launch pads hold the
rockets down for a few seconds to build up a certain amount of energy before
the pad released it?

I just got done watching the DVD set Project Gemini - A Bold Leap
Forward. A three DVD set produced by Spacecraft Films. I picked it up at
my local Sams Club for only $15.00 A great price considering all the
footage that's contained in the set. It has every launch from the Gemini
missions.

I thought it was pretty cool how they point the rocket up in a cradle.
But I'm wondering how they hold it up after it's sitting up and at what
point they release it after the engines have ignited?

Thanks!

Old April 13th 05, 05:03 PM
John

Google for a description of Launch Complex 19

or read "On The Shoulders of Titans: A History of Project Gemini". You
can find it for free to read on-line at
http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/Hi...4203/cover.htm. Its a
great book. I can't find the section that addresses your question, but
if you have a liitle time, you will probably enjoy the search.

blue skies

JP

Old April 13th 05, 10:32 PM
Ed Kyle

Von Fourche wrote:
How exactly were the rockets held in place when they were on their
launch pads during the Gemini and Apollo missions? They simply

didn't sit
on their engines. How did the launch pad hold up so much weight?

Titan IIs sat on four points (longerons) that were on the
base of the first stage fuselage. These points were also
where the engine thrust frame attached to the missile.
You can see the set up in these photos.

"http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/wonews/apr05/0405napola.html#sb1"
"http://www.geocities.com/titan_2_missile/images/gallery15.jpg"

The launch stand both supported the rocket from below and
held it down during thrust build up before releasing.
Atlas had two hold-down mechanisms that accessed
fittings hidden inside doors on the nacelles. (Watch
an old Atlas launch closely and you'll see the arms
retract and the doors slam shut at liftoff.) Saturn V
had four massive hold down arms. Saturn I had *eight*
arms altogether (four support and four hold-down).

- Ed Kyle

Old April 13th 05, 10:38 PM
Ed Kyle

Ed Kyle wrote:
Von Fourche wrote:
How exactly were the rockets held in place when they were on their
launch pads during the Gemini and Apollo missions? They simply

didn't sit
on their engines. How did the launch pad hold up so much weight?

Titan IIs sat on four points (longerons) that were on the
base of the first stage fuselage. These points were also
where the engine thrust frame attached to the missile.
You can see the set up in these photos.

"http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/wonews/apr05/0405napola.html#sb1"

Sorry, make that:

"http://www.fas.org/spp/military/program/smc_hist/Titan2g.jpg"

Old April 14th 05, 12:21 AM
Henry Spencer

In article .com,
Ed Kyle wrote:
Atlas had two hold-down mechanisms that accessed
fittings hidden inside doors on the nacelles. (Watch
an old Atlas launch closely and you'll see the arms
retract and the doors slam shut at liftoff.) Saturn V
had four massive hold down arms. Saturn I had *eight*
arms altogether (four support and four hold-down).

And both Thor and (I think) its Delta II descendant rest on arms which
pivot out of the way as the rocket lifts off, and have no hold-downs --
liftoff occurs when thrust exceeds weight. Likewise, there were no
hold-downs in the DC-X launch stand.
--
"Think outside the box -- the box isn't our friend." | Henry Spencer
-- George Herbert |
Old April 14th 05, 08:58 AM
Pat Flannery

Henry Spencer wrote:

And both Thor and (I think) its Delta II descendant rest on arms which
pivot out of the way as the rocket lifts off, and have no hold-downs --
liftoff occurs when thrust exceeds weight. Likewise, there were no
hold-downs in the DC-X launch stand.

Don't forget the olde R-7 Semyorka which works the same way...and has
for ...what's it? Around 1,500+ launches.

Pat
Old April 15th 05, 03:16 AM
Ed Kyle

Pat Flannery wrote:
Henry Spencer wrote:

And both Thor and (I think) its Delta II descendant rest on arms

which
pivot out of the way as the rocket lifts off, and have no hold-downs

--
liftoff occurs when thrust exceeds weight. Likewise, there were no
hold-downs in the DC-X launch stand.

Don't forget the olde R-7 Semyorka which works the same way...and has

for ...what's it? Around 1,500+ launches.

1,640-ish orbital attempts and approaching 1,700 if you
include suborbital flights. An average of more
than 35 per year. Something like 11,000 to 12,000
metric tons of payload to LEO total (25 million-ish
pounds - roughly equal to the launch weight of a bit
more than four Saturn V rockets - or 160 space shuttle
orbiters - or more than 76 million baseballs).

- Ed Kyle

Old April 15th 05, 05:58 PM
John

Ed

LOL . .. good perspective

Blue skies

JP

Old April 15th 05, 05:59 PM
John

Ed

LOL . .. good perspective

Blue skies

JP

Old April 15th 05, 08:17 PM
Ed Kyle

John wrote:
Ed

LOL . .. good perspective

Blue skies

JP

1/550th of a Hoover Dam?

30 or so fully fueled 747s?

3,845 Hummer H2 SUVs?

About 90 Apollo-class crewed lunar landing missions?

- Ed Kyle