Telescopes Reaching Ends of Universe

Old January 11th 06, 10:13 PM posted to sci.space.history

Default Telescopes Reaching Ends of Universe

It seems like once every month or so we see stories in the news about
telescopes making new discoveries with regards to reaching the far ends of
the universe. From what I've read (which isn't much), we can now see some
of the first galaxies and stars ever made. We can also pick up that
background radiation or whatever it is at the ends of the Universe.

This is what I would love to see - a big push by the astronomers/science
community to make what ever telescope they need and at whatever size it
needs to be to let them see the actual end of the universe.

They could try to get the public on their side by pushing the idea of
finally reaching the end of the Universe. No, not traveling to the ends of
the Universe. No, not black and white or color pictures like the ones of
galaxies and nebulas. But with radio and infra-red telescopes and the other
types of telescopes they use.

They could make the case that once they can pick up the end of the
Universe with their telescopes then they will be the masters of that domain.
Once they reach the end then there is nothing that will be able to hide from
them.

I know the public would not get behind this like they did when the U.S.
sent a man to the moon, but maybe on a smaller scale it might get some
support.

Anyway, I think these stores we see on the news and read about on the
net and in magazines are really amazing.

Old January 11th 06, 11:30 PM posted to sci.space.history

In message et, Von
Fourche writes

Nothing.
Does changing your fake email address to get round kill files count as a
breach of TOS? And will a complaint do any good?
Old January 12th 06, 10:22 AM posted to sci.space.history

I know the public would not get behind this like they did when the U.S.
sent a man to the moon, but maybe on a smaller scale it might get some
support.

Anyway, I think these stores we see on the news and read about on the
net and in magazines are really amazing.

I agree with you somewhat. But I still think they are looking for the wrong
answer looking for photons on a macro scale. A telescope can get a million
photons of some kind of image and a guy will write a whole new formula got
big bang start... Its like carbon dating. Yes carbon does decay at a speed,
but who is to say over 200million years that the carbon wasn't effected by
something along the way to decary faster or slower? The only answers that
can be acheieved from a space telescope are what-ifs and guess theories. All
attention and money should be spent on making bigger particle accelerators
etc. if we really want to learn more.

Old January 12th 06, 09:40 PM posted to sci.space.history

[...]

What good would it do to see back so far that the light didn't get here yet?
You wouldn't see it anyway.
Old January 13th 06, 01:48 AM posted to sci.space.history

Von Fourche wrote:
It seems like once every month or so we see stories in the news about
telescopes making new discoveries with regards to reaching the far ends of
the universe. From what I've read (which isn't much), we can now see some
of the first galaxies and stars ever made. We can also pick up that
background radiation or whatever it is at the ends of the Universe.

Uhh...hum.

Could it be that the 'scopes are simply reaching a point where they can
see to such light-distances that it's effectively like going back in
time? Iirc, the 'scopes are now able to make out objects distant enough
to appear to have been just formed at "the beginning" or some sort of
immediately-after-the-Big-Bang period. Nothing in any of that suggests
(to me at least) an "end" to the Universe, like it's a big Truman Show
set or something.

Maybe I'm missing something...like religious training. Lucky me. (;^

--

..

"Though I could not caution all, I yet may warn a few:
Don't lend your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools!"

--grateful dead.
Mike Flugennock, flugennock at sinkers dot org
"Mikey'zine": dubya dubya dubya dot sinkers dot org
Old January 13th 06, 02:14 AM posted to sci.space.history

"mike flugennock" wrote in message
ervers.com...

Could it be that the 'scopes are simply reaching a point where they can
see to such light-distances that it's effectively like going back in time?
Iirc, the 'scopes are now able to make out objects distant enough to
appear to have been just formed at "the beginning" or some sort of
immediately-after-the-Big-Bang period. Nothing in any of that suggests (to
me at least) an "end" to the Universe, like it's a big Truman Show set or
something.

Yeah. Or a restaurant :-)