Foam solutions?

Old March 21st 06, 06:30 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle

Default Foam solutions?

After Columbia several people here suggested some solutions to
the ET foam problem. Most convincing I considered the idea of a
upper layer by fiber enforced foam or a fiber net clued on the foam.
I think its a matter "of course" that someone in NASA thought about
that too. Was there ever any document, interview or roumor why such
a way wasnt done?

## CrossPoint v3.12d R ##
Old March 21st 06, 12:08 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle

Well, I seem to recall that one problem was that at some points, the
interwoven layer would need to have an edge, and indeed some parts are
always going to be separate, so, if a crack occurs along this area, you are
going to have the possibility of a large piece being caught in the
slipstream and when the fibres finally part, a very large lump will fly off,
as apposed to the peppering of tiny bits which are supposed to fall off now.

Cannot recall where I heard this though. I'd assume its been tried before!

Brian

Email:

Old March 22nd 06, 05:55 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle

Well, I seem to recall that one problem was that at some points, the
interwoven layer would need to have an edge, and indeed some parts are
always going to be separate, so, if a crack occurs along this area, you are
going to have the possibility of a large piece being caught in the
slipstream and when the fibres finally part, a very large lump will fly off,
as apposed to the peppering of tiny bits which are supposed to fall off now.

Cannot recall where I heard this though. I'd assume its been tried before!

Brian

For short fibers mixed in foam this could be an issue to think about.
But not for a fiber net what covers the outer foam surface. In that case
long fiber filaments are used. As long as one patch, maybe 1 meter or more.
Some 100s such net patches cover the whole ET. The net could be designed
to hold all foam in place even if all lost contact with the ET. Only foam
particles smaller than the net grid could pop away.

Besides the manhours to glue it, the only point I saw was the weight issue.
But such a net, even with a carrier foil, could be very light weight.
Maybe less than the old white paint. If not, a layer of foam could be
saved instead. To compensate for possible insulation loss IR or light
beamers could prevent ice accumulation. I remmember such beamers in
discussion at NASA some time ago after Columbia.

## CrossPoint v3.12d R ##