Map of major galaxy superclusters, clouds and filaments on celestial sphere?

Old December 17th 05, 11:43 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Default Map of major galaxy superclusters, clouds and filaments on celestial sphere?

I am looking for a map that would show in a 2-D projection of the major
superclusters, galaxy clouds and filaments. Tirion's Cambridge Star
Atlas has an equal-area galactic coordinate map of the distribution of
bright galaxies. I am interested in associating the major groups of
bright galaxies shown in the chart with superclusters and filaments.
The location of some supercluster groups and/or galaxy clouds on Tirion
chart are straight-forward, like the Virgo supercluster and the
Sculptor Group.

As background, this page from Powell's "An Atlas of the Universe"
website shows in 3-D nearby superclusters, clouds and filaments.
http://www.anzwers.org/free/universe/superc.html

Additionally, I have playing around with a Starry Night program called
Galaxy Explorer, which contains the triaxial positions of 28,000,
assembly by R.B. Tully, co-creator of the Tully-Fisher relationship.

By using this VRML type 3-D software, I have gained some understanding
of the 3-D position of some of the major bright galaxies and their
associated superclusters, but I am having trouble relating those
triaxial positions to their positions on the "2-D" celestial sphere.

To some extent, the question can be answered by reference to
supercluster or cloud name, e.g -

Virgo Cluster and Southern Extension
Ursa Major Cloud
Ursa Major Southern Spur
Coma - Sculptor Cloud
Leo Spur
Centaurus Spur
Triangulum Spur
Perseus Cloud

- but a simple 360 degree chart would be alot easier to visualize their
boundaries and overlaps.

Any references to websites, atlas charts or journal articles that would
contain such a map would be appreciated.

- Canopus56

Other refs:

Tully R.B. Nearby Galaxies Catalogue. CDS database -
http://cdsweb.u-strasbg.fr/viz-bin/Cat?VII/145

Old December 18th 05, 07:07 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

On 2005-12-17, canopus56 wrote:
[...]

Doesn't the Starry Night Galaxy Explorer let you construct a view from Earth?
If not, that's too bad.

I've made a set of maps using the same data, with labels for
some of the big features Tully has picked out, as well as labels
for some of the bigger Abell clusters (1656 in Coma, 1367 in Leo,
262 and 426 in Perseus-Pisces, 3526 in Centaurus, etc.).
All the extragalactic labels are 2.5 Mpc/h high, so apparent text size
suggests distance. A white line spanning the whole sky marks the
supergalactic plane; colored lines extend from the plane to
the named major groups. One label comes out so close to us that it's
unreadable: "Com-Scl" shows up near the north celestial pole.
Foreground stars (to mag 4.4 or so) and an equatorial grid are superimposed.

The images (four each at declination +30 and -30, plus one at
each celestial pole) are in:

http://dart.ncsa.uiuc.edu/stuffed/tu.../together.html

Stuart
Old December 18th 05, 11:52 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

To Canopus56

I am especially fond of your postings because of your uncanny ability
to promote cataloguing terms such as the celestial sphere and external
galaxies without any sense of how much is resolved by dropping the
celestial sphere or what amounts to the same thing,the poor theorists
look out at the external galaxies/universe through the myopic celestial
sphere.

The tragedy of the myopic 'every valid point is the center of the
universe' view which is generated by by retaining the celestial sphere
and external galaxies is that it is easily corrected by returning to
astronomical principles which even pre-date Copernican heliocentricity.

It is cruel that the rest of humanity has to suffer the loss of its
Western astronomical heritage and extremely unfair on the Ptolemaics
for they were working with planetary motions in isolation from the
stellar background in terms of epicycles.The heliocentrists just
attributed an annual orbital motion to the Earth thus inferring a
common heliocentric axis for all the planets rather than the Ptolemaic
stationary Earth and subsequentlt altered the arrangement of the Sun
and planets.

Cataloguing quasi-geocentricity is generating these incredibly foolish
notions of 'every valid point is the center of the universe' and being
a admirer of ancient astronomy and their methods,it is difficult to
bear that contemporaries actually descend to a level that no
civilisation has before.

There is no problem identify a galaxy through the stellar circumpolar
illusion of constellations such as the following -

http://www.astro.keele.ac.uk/~obs/pics/m82.jpg

What is frightening is that neither cataloguers or theorists attempt
to drop the foreground reference generated by the Earth's axial
rotation and orientation (celestial sphere/constellations) and actually
base the structure of the relationship between galaxies on that local
myopic view.

Are none of you capable of being embarrassed or are you that in love
with your celestial peep show and your telescopic equipment that you
have to do this to humanity.

Old December 18th 05, 06:05 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

oriel36 wrote:

Are none of you capable of being embarrassed or are you that in love
with your celestial peep show and your telescopic equipment that you
have to do this to humanity.

I should read more of your posts. Once one gets through all of your
extraneous and bizarre verbiage you can be quite funny.

Watchout humanity, us armchair astronomers are out to ruin you!

Greg
--
"Destroy your safe and happy lives before it is too late
The battles we fought were long and hard
Old December 18th 05, 07:01 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

To gt

Don't flatter yourself,humanity is hardly interested in your celestial
peep show however their Western astronomical heritage,representing the
exquisite thinking behind Copernican heliocentricity and its later
refinements, remains destroyed and withered by celestial sphere
cataloguers and their quasi-geocentric concepts .

Looking out at the external galaxies through the myopic celestial
sphere is certain to give you an 'every valid point is the center of
the universe',such grinning fools who make no attempt to alter the
reference of external galaxies through the constellations represent
possibly the silliest people ever to set foot on the planet.

Our ancestors and the rest of humanity have done nothing to deserve
being lumped in with cretinous notions that should have been seen as a
symptom of a wrong astronomical turn but because you are not
astronomers but celestial sphere/calendar system cataloguers,this
embarrassing era continues.

Learn how Copernicus inferred heliocentricity,the right way ! -

Old December 18th 05, 08:39 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

canopus56 wrote:
I am looking for a map that would show in a 2-D projection of the major
superclusters, galaxy clouds and filaments. Tirion's Cambridge Star
Atlas has an equal-area galactic coordinate map of the distribution of
bright galaxies. I am interested in associating the major groups of
bright galaxies shown in the chart with superclusters and filaments.
The location of some supercluster groups and/or galaxy clouds on Tirion
chart are straight-forward, like the Virgo supercluster and the
Sculptor Group.

You probably ought to leaf through Brent Tully's Nreaby Galaxies Catalog
and Altas, which not only shows structures known (as of ~15 years ago)
out to z~0.1, but had a good deal of thought put into its presentation
by consulting cartographers. Tully's home page at
www.ifa.hawaii.edu/~tuly shows a sample figure and includes a
video flythrough of the Local Supercluster. He also has a VRML
file of 30,000 nearby galaxies for your manipulatory pleasure.
(There are also links to some additional 3D visualizations).

Bill Keel
Old December 18th 05, 11:24 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

William C. Keel wrote:
You probably ought to leaf through Brent Tully's Nreaby Galaxies Catalog
and Altas, which not only shows structures known (as of ~15 years ago)
out to z~0.1, but had a good deal of thought put into its presentation
by consulting cartographers.

Thanks Bill, I didn't see any figures listed in the Amazon.com "look
inside the book" entry, but I'll run up to the local university library
and check it out.

Tully's home page at
www.ifa.hawaii.edu/~tuly shows a sample figure and includes a
video flythrough of the Local Supercluster. He also has a VRML
file of 30,000 nearby galaxies for your manipulatory pleasure.
(There are also links to some additional 3D visualizations).

Nice site at: http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/~tully/

- Canopus56

Old December 18th 05, 11:26 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Stuart Levy wrote:

Doesn't the Starry Night Galaxy Explorer let you construct a view from Earth?
If not, that's too bad. . . . snip I've made a set of maps using the
same data, with labels for some of the big features Tully has picked out, . . .
http://dart.ncsa.uiuc.edu/stuffed/tu.../together.html

Thanks Stuart. Maybe Galaxy Explorer does and I need to dive into the
help section further. - Canopus56

Old December 19th 05, 12:33 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur

Corrected: http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/~tully
Old December 19th 05, 04:58 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur

http://www.astrolog.org/astrolog/screen/constel.gif

There you go Sammy ,when these guys reference external galaxies using
constellations or what amounts to the same thing retaining the
celestial sphere with the Earth motion and orientation at the center
and then they arrive at that very particular cataloguing conclusion
of 'every valid point is the center of the universe ' .

I would have thought that anyone who reached that conclusion would set
about finding out what went wrong and where but obviously the
theorists/cataloguers are dead serious in retaining the constellations
which even the Ptolemaics set aside (when approaching nearby motions of
the planets ) never mind applying the celestial sphere to the structure
of the universe by way of galaxies.

I am certain that the investigation of celestial phenomena cannot sink
any lower as a person who actually tries to promote the once noble
discipline.