Apollo One Question

Old December 22nd 04, 02:03 AM

Default Apollo One Question

I learned something ELSE today I did not know: Gus (at least) along
with the other Mercury astronauts, trained for the possibility of suit
failure by inhaling air polluted "with large amounts of carbon
dioxide." How does a man so trained drop dead in 23 seconds from lack
of oxygen? And, if that same training was given to Gemini and/or
Apollo astronauts, how can anyone in his RIGHT MIND assert Ed White did
so? He was an Olympic athlete who was TIMED swimming on the bottom of
a pool for more than two minutes. NASA's story has NEVER made sense
tome from day one, it has made ZERO sense for the past two years, and
as of today it makes even less sense.

Old December 22nd 04, 02:20 AM
davon96720

OK, I did my Master's in Space Studies at UND. I took a course in space
medicine and this is how it goes: if your lungs are out of oxygen, hypoxia
will sent in one circulation of the blood. People that have a lung full of
air can go for some time, but deprived of oxygen totally and hypoxia only
takes seconds to set in.
davon96720

oups.com...

Old December 22nd 04, 02:44 AM
Greg D. Moore \(Strider\)

wrote in message
oups.com...
I learned something ELSE today I did not know: Gus (at least) along
with the other Mercury astronauts, trained for the possibility of suit
failure by inhaling air polluted "with large amounts of carbon
dioxide."

With what purpose in mind? Considering one of the driving factors for
respiration are CO2 monitors (which is why one can die in an O2 free
atmosphere and never have an inkling they're dying) I'm not sure what the
goal would be other than to recognize that a high CO2 rate drives UP
respiration unless conciously controlled. Now apparently, some asthmatics
end up relying more on the O2 monitors than the CO2 ones, but that's a life
long thing.

How does a man so trained drop dead in 23 seconds from lack
of oxygen? And, if that same training was given to Gemini and/or
Apollo astronauts, how can anyone in his RIGHT MIND assert Ed White did
so? He was an Olympic athlete who was TIMED swimming on the bottom of
a pool for more than two minutes.

Most likely, he did what most folks do in that case, hyperventilated in
order to clear CO2 out of his lungs, hence reducing the desire to breath.

In addition, there's no CO present. In a fire, it's most likely CO IS
present and CO binds favorably with hemoglobin, which means you can very
quickly starve from oxygen.

Old December 22nd 04, 03:39 AM
Herb Schaltegger

In article %R4yd.1645$Y57.1305@trnddc08,
"davon96720" wrote:

OK, I did my Master's in Space Studies at UND. I took a course in space
medicine and this is how it goes: if your lungs are out of oxygen, hypoxia
will sent in one circulation of the blood. People that have a lung full of
air can go for some time, but deprived of oxygen totally and hypoxia only
takes seconds to set in.
davon96720

Please don't feed the troll.

This was debated extensively with LaLiar months and months ago when
she first polluted this group. Others with experience in toxicology
attempted to explain to her the difference between carbon monoxide and
carbon dioxide and how they affect metabolism and bind differently to
hemoglobin, etc. Others tried to explain to her how combustion
products from the interior of the AS-204 would affect and destroy lung
tissue very rapidly following suit envelope and/or 02 supply loop
compromise. She didn't care, just kept posting conclusory,
inflammatory nonsense, making authoritative sounding statements
without citing sources or naming names.

In short, she proved herself a troll. During this process she falsely
claimed I sent her emails, yet refuses to post them at all when
challenged or even provide the headers of the message she claimed I
sent her. She's a liar, plain and simple.

--
Herb Schaltegger, B.S., J.D.
"Wow! This is like saying when engineers get involved, harmonic
Old December 22nd 04, 03:45 AM
Revision

, how can anyone in his RIGHT MIND
assert Ed White did so? He was an
Olympic athlete

Well I just have a couple of ad hominem observations in that when one is
confronted with a technical result that is counter-intuitive, it may be
time to learn something rather than question anyone's sanity, and two)
the caps to not make the post more persuasive.

Old December 22nd 04, 03:58 AM

Well, Mr. Moore, I think the purpose was the same as training scuba
divers go through, and that firefighters go through..once you become
acclimated to a life-threatening situation, it reduces your need to
panic and increases your body's ability to adapt. Has no one on Google
known ANYONE who went through survival training in the military? The
more you are accustomed to having your ability to live attacked, the
better able you are to respond to it when the occasion truly IS
life-threatening. THAT is the point.
Now, that being said, let's go to my point on Ed White...let's say
(regarding swimming) he "hyperventilated in order to clear CO2 out of
his lungs." It was 16.4 seconds into the fire before Gus' suit was
breached...which means until that time they were still breathing pure
O2. Do you not think that, at the VERY least, Ed with his athletic
training, realized the potential problem and acted accordingly by
hyperventilating, "hence reducing the desire to breath[e]?" Hello,
let's THINK, people. :-)

Old December 22nd 04, 04:23 AM
OM

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 21:39:29 -0600, Herb Schaltegger
wrote:

In short, she proved herself a troll. During this process she falsely
claimed I sent her emails, yet refuses to post them at all when
challenged or even provide the headers of the message she claimed I
sent her. She's a liar, plain and simple.

....Herb, it's time. Enough's enough. You need to sue the stupid troll
for slander, and put her in the poor house so deep in debt that she'll
never be able to afford even *free* usenet access.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old December 22nd 04, 04:24 AM
Pat Flannery

davon96720 wrote:

OK, I did my Master's in Space Studies at UND.

Duh-hey?

Pat- Jamestown, N.D.

Old December 22nd 04, 04:45 AM
davon96720

Wasn't aware of that history.
Mele Kalikimaka, Houli Makahiki Hou
davon96720

Old December 22nd 04, 04:46 AM
Herb Schaltegger

OM om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org

wrote:

In short, she proved herself a troll. During this process she falsely
claimed I sent her emails, yet refuses to post them at all when
challenged or even provide the headers of the message she claimed I
sent her. She's a liar, plain and simple.

...Herb, it's time. Enough's enough. You need to sue the stupid troll
for slander, and put her in the poor house so deep in debt that she'll
never be able to afford even *free* usenet access.

OM

Yeah, I keep thinking about it. Fortunately, I still have several
months until the applicable statutes of limitation run in my state
alone. However, since she's slandered me across the entire world,
thanks to Usenet, under the famous Falwell v. Hustler/Flynt decision
of the U.S. Supreme Court, I think I can pretty much pick and choose
the forum to bring suit in whatever jurisdiction has the longest
statute - I think I'll let her stew for awhile longer before deciding
what to do. Heck, with luck I can stretch out her apprehension for
years yet.

--
Herb Schaltegger, B.S., J.D.
"Wow! This is like saying when engineers get involved, harmonic
oscillations tear apart bridges."
~Hop David
http://www.angryherb.net

NASA NTRS Server - Apollo Documents available Rusty History 2 December 17th 04 09:33 AM
Apollo Buzz alDredge UK Astronomy 5 July 28th 04 10:05 AM
The Apollo FAQ (moon landings were faked) Nathan Jones Misc 8 February 4th 04 06:48 PM
The Apollo FAQ (moon landings were faked) Nathan Jones UK Astronomy 8 February 4th 04 06:48 PM
The Apollo Moon Hoax FAQ v4.1 November 2003 Nathan Jones Misc 20 November 11th 03 07:33 PM