What happened to that APM 14" Lens?

Old December 14th 04, 11:08 AM

Default What happened to that APM 14" Lens?

Whatever happened to that massive APM 14" lens that was ground for a
Korean observatory? Did they install it? It has been haunting my
dreams and I just have to know what became of it.

I was trying to find some pics of the lens, but can't locate it anymore
on the APM website. Anyone got any images?

Thanks,
Peter

Old December 14th 04, 09:12 PM
Dr. Stupid

Seriously, the Korean observatory cancelled the
order, and it was placed on Astromart:

http://www.astromart.com/classifieds...fied_id=110714

Old December 14th 04, 09:21 PM
Mark D

The lens maker should just roll that lens over to Roland, that way he
can build me that dream APO!!!
Chas P.
Hi Chas, Make sure you tell Roland to include that AP9600GTO with your
Refractor order too! :-)
Mark

Old December 15th 04, 02:35 AM

Dr. Stupid wrote:
Seriously, the Korean observatory cancelled the
order, and it was placed on Astromart:

http://www.astromart.com/classifieds...fied_id=110714

Who purchased it? I'd love to see the scope that was built around it,
assuming it was used for a scope and not some other purpose.
Any images of the original lens still floating around?

Old December 15th 04, 02:12 PM
AM

"CHASLX200" wrote in message

*******************************
The lens maker should just roll that lens over to Roland, that way he can
build
me that dream APO!!!

Long as you will willing to roll over the cash should be no problem.

--
Only A Gentleman Can Insult Me And A True Gentleman Never Will

Old December 15th 04, 07:07 PM
RichA

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 10:51:45 -0500, John Steinberg
wrote:

CHASLX200wrote:

Lets see, OTA and mount plus building for a 14" APO should be about $100,000
+...

My guess would be closer to $350,000+, and that's FOB. Add in building
permits, an appropriate observatory, lawsuits from neighbors and I'm
thinking you want to earmark at least $700,000 with another $100K in
contingencies.

Tempting, I know, but you could outfit several universities with 16"
LX200GPS-SMTs for a lot less and keep a couple for yourself.

Plus, the dome would be smaller so you'd incur less lawsuits!
-Rich