Mega Disasters - The History Channel

Old October 11th 07, 08:23 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
kT

Default Mega Disasters - The History Channel

Hi Everybody!

Here it is, several weeks later, and I am no longer posting on Henry
Spencer's K6-2 Box. I just couldn't stand it anymore, and barring anyone
coughing up Henry Spencer's address so we can ship this thing to him,
we'll just be flying Orbiter with it, with a suitable graphics card.

But that's not what I'm here for. Has anyone noticed the second season
of this show yet? They seem to have really hit their groove with this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mega_Disasters

I just happened to see 'Comet Catastrophe' and they covered it in
fantastic detail, considering on how new and interesting the result is.

First I researched it and blobbed it : http://cosmic.lifeform.org/?p=343

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/14/science/14WAVE.html

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/11/14/news/meteor.php

This **** happens all the time folks, we were wondering for many months
it would be before we would see an example of it, and low and behold,
the Peruvian Impact Event. And that's a minor little example of it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/17/sc...gewanted=print

http://sp.lyellcollection.org/cgi/co...refs/273/1/177

This week the Mega Disasters show was on the Younger Dryas - Laurentide
Ice Sheet - Clovis Extinction Impact Event (The Mammoth Impact).

The basic result is that your beloved fossil fuel civilization is doomed
unless you idiots immediately start to straighten up and fly right, I
mean left. Up would be even better. Otherwise the darkness will surely
descend upon the Earth again just like it did sometime around 540 AD.

http://www.spacedaily.com/news/deepimpact-04a.html

Old October 13th 07, 02:27 AM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Jonathan

"kT" wrote in message
Hi Everybody!

The basic result is that your beloved fossil fuel civilization is doomed
unless you idiots immediately start to straighten up and fly right, I
mean left. Up would be even better. Otherwise the darkness will surely
descend upon the Earth again just like it did sometime around 540 AD.

Don't worry, the US military is working at a feverish pace to
militarize space. Someday hunting space rocks will be just
another part of Air Force basic training~

Air and Space Power Journal
http://www.airpower.maxwell.af.mil/

http://www.spacedaily.com/news/deepimpact-04a.html

Old October 13th 07, 04:58 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Brian Thorn[_2_]

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 21:27:27 -0400, "Jonathan"
wrote:

Don't worry, the US military is working at a feverish pace to
militarize space. Someday hunting space rocks will be just
another part of Air Force basic training~

Last I checked, it was the Chinese that recklessly blew up a satellite
with an ASAT weapon and put hundreds of other satellites in danger
from the debris...

But of course, its all the U.S.'s fault...

Brian
Old October 13th 07, 07:34 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
kT

wrote:

Don't worry, the US military is working at a feverish pace to
militarize space. Someday hunting space rocks will be just
another part of Air Force basic training~

Last I checked, it was the Chinese that recklessly blew up a satellite
with an ASAT weapon and put hundreds of other satellites in danger
from the debris...

But of course, its all the U.S.'s fault...

Have they done a Mega Disaster on the Cascade Effect yet?

I'm too lazy to look, besides, I rarely watch TV.
Old October 13th 07, 08:23 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Jonathan

wrote:

Don't worry, the US military is working at a feverish pace to
militarize space. Someday hunting space rocks will be just
another part of Air Force basic training~

Last I checked, it was the Chinese that recklessly blew up a satellite
with an ASAT weapon and put hundreds of other satellites in danger
from the debris...

But of course, its all the U.S.'s fault...

It may sound like I'm against what the military is
doing in space, quite the opposite. It's just that
everyone seems in denial they're doing it.
It's that denial of reality that I'm making fun of.

It's starting to look like the military route is going
to be the only way too build the kind of space
infrastructure needed to get the space age going.

Brian

Old October 14th 07, 05:22 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Brian Thorn[_2_]

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 15:23:12 -0400, "Jonathan"
wrote:

Don't worry, the US military is working at a feverish pace to
militarize space. Someday hunting space rocks will be just
another part of Air Force basic training~

Last I checked, it was the Chinese that recklessly blew up a satellite
with an ASAT weapon and put hundreds of other satellites in danger
from the debris...

But of course, its all the U.S.'s fault...

It may sound like I'm against what the military is
doing in space, quite the opposite. It's just that
everyone seems in denial they're doing it.

What's this "feverish pace" you speak of? What exactly is the U.S.
military doing now that they weren't doing 40 years ago? Hell, back
then they were making "feverish plans" for Dyna-Soar, Blue Gemini and
MOL that all came to nothing. Then they got onboard Shuttle and had
"feverish plans" to refuel spy satellites and inspect enemy satellites
that all came to nothing. Then they had "Star Wars" and pipedreams of
giant laser battle satellites that came to nothing. Now it has two
mediocre EELVs that are costing them a fortune with no obvious
improvement over their predecessors, to launch the same ol' spy
satellites they've been launching since the '70s. This is "feverish"?

Brian
Old October 14th 07, 05:35 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Rand Simberg[_1_]

On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 16:22:15 GMT, in a place far, far away, Brian
Thorn made the phosphor on my monitor glow
in such a way as to indicate that:

It may sound like I'm against what the military is
doing in space, quite the opposite. It's just that
everyone seems in denial they're doing it.

What's this "feverish pace" you speak of? What exactly is the U.S.
military doing now that they weren't doing 40 years ago? Hell, back
then they were making "feverish plans" for Dyna-Soar, Blue Gemini and
MOL that all came to nothing. Then they got onboard Shuttle and had
"feverish plans" to refuel spy satellites and inspect enemy satellites
that all came to nothing. Then they had "Star Wars" and pipedreams of
giant laser battle satellites that came to nothing. Now it has two
mediocre EELVs that are costing them a fortune with no obvious
improvement over their predecessors, to launch the same ol' spy
satellites they've been launching since the '70s. This is "feverish"?

The available evidence would indicate that it's "jonathan" who is
feverish...
Old October 14th 07, 08:46 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
kT

Brian Thorn wrote:

Now it has two
mediocre EELVs that are costing them a fortune with no obvious
improvement over their predecessors, to launch the same ol' spy
satellites they've been launching since the '70s. This is "feverish"?

Both EELVs are major improvements over their predecessors.

Rightards think that everything should function the rightard way.
Old October 14th 07, 10:21 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Jonathan

wrote:

Don't worry, the US military is working at a feverish pace to
militarize space. Someday hunting space rocks will be just
another part of Air Force basic training~

Last I checked, it was the Chinese that recklessly blew up a satellite
with an ASAT weapon and put hundreds of other satellites in danger
from the debris...

But of course, its all the U.S.'s fault...

It may sound like I'm against what the military is
doing in space, quite the opposite. It's just that
everyone seems in denial they're doing it.

What's this "feverish pace" you speak of? What exactly is the U.S.
military doing now that they weren't doing 40 years ago?

Outspending NASA, the dept of defense is spending over
$20 billion a year on space related activities. Under Clinton
is was a fraction of that, he put the US military on a
'procurement holiday' remember? And now they announce
a very ambitious Space Solar Power plan. Not to mention
the concerns the Chinese asat test bring which could help
fuel more funding.

The N Korea settlement and the democrats might
slow the pace of spending, but since the new and
very aggressive space policy of last year makes moving
into space a top national security priority.
http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/...e_policy06.pdf

Hell, back
then they were making "feverish plans" for Dyna-Soar, Blue Gemini and
MOL that all came to nothing. Then they got onboard Shuttle and had
"feverish plans" to refuel spy satellites and inspect enemy satellites
that all came to nothing. Then they had "Star Wars" and pipedreams of
giant laser battle satellites that came to nothing. Now it has two
mediocre EELVs that are costing them a fortune with no obvious
improvement over their predecessors, to launch the same ol' spy
satellites they've been launching since the '70s. This is "feverish"?

It may be going through another boom and bust cycle like
you've described. But since 9/11 and Bush we're decidedly
in the 'boom' part of the space military spending cycle.

We've been in a race lately to develop missile defense before
roque states can hit us.

Brian

Old October 14th 07, 10:25 PM posted to sci.space.policy,sci.space.history,sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Jonathan

"Rand Simberg" wrote in message
On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 16:22:15 GMT, in a place far, far away, Brian
Thorn made the phosphor on my monitor glow
in such a way as to indicate that:

since the '70s. This is "feverish"?

The available evidence would indicate that it's "jonathan" who is
feverish...

I could say the sky is blue and you'd respond the same way.
Are you still holding a grudge after I pointed out that
83 word long run-on sentence you published?

You don't think we've been in a race to build missile
defense before certain rogue countries can hit us
with a few nukes? And a race that involved nukes
is a 'hot' race. Hence the term feverish.

I use words very carefully, I destroy you each time
you take them on. Do you enjoy getting hammered
over and over~

Jonathan