Very bright "flash" from a satellite?

Old March 8th 07, 02:10 PM posted to sci.space.moderated
[email protected]

Default Very bright "flash" from a satellite?

As I was walking home just moments ago, perhaps 8:01-8:02 EST, I saw a
very bight light less than a finger's distance from Betelgeuse to the
east, moving north. I'm not good with magnitudes, but this was
considerably brighter than Venus, which was also easily visible at the
same time. I would say it was at least as bright as landing lights of
aircraft headed towards me, which there were two of at the time. The
object quickly dimmed to "normal satellite" brightness and continued
moving north toward the zenith, where I lost sight as I went up the
stairs to my house.

This is the second time I have seen this object, I think. About a
week, maybe two, I saw something very similar to the north of me,
closer to the horizon. It was earlier in the day and there was still
some dayglow, so it immediately disappeared when it faded. I thought
it might be a meteor, although I was skeptical, but filed it under
"huh".

So now that I've seen it twice I am very curious if anyone can
identify it? Is this the Iridium flare I have heard of? E-mail would
be appreciated!

Maury

Old March 9th 07, 12:11 PM posted to sci.space.moderated
richard schumacher

In article . com,
wrote:

[...]

Google "iridium flash". Among other things you'll discover a website
that gives precise predictions for Iridium flash visibility at any
desired location.

Old March 12th 07, 02:36 PM posted to sci.space.moderated
Philip

richard schumacher wrote:
In article . com,
wrote:

[...]

http://www.heavens-above.com/

Set up a login. Enter your location. Then go watch ISS passes, Iridium
flares, other bright satellites, comets, etc.

Impress your friends and passers-by.