Want to know the REAL future of climate? Ask an astronomer

Old January 16th 18, 04:19 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

Default Want to know the REAL future of climate? Ask an astronomer

On Mon, 15 Jan 2018 19:19:47 -0800 (PST), RichA
wrote:

On Monday, 15 January 2018 12:28:12 UTC-5, Chris L Peterson wrote:
On Mon, 15 Jan 2018 09:07:26 -0700, Jibini Kula Tumbili Kujisalimisha
wrote:

"Catastrophe." Why is it the greenloons LOVE to use scare words
so much?

Because people won't buy books telling them everything is fine,
nothing to worry about.

The world is full of science deniers who buy exactly that kind of
book.

I agree, I see lots of global warming books with "terror titles." After all, global warming is denial of real science.

Global warming is real, and is very scary. One of the most dangerous
things the human race has ever faced, and one which has the potential
to destroy our current civilization.
Old January 16th 18, 05:14 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Monday, January 15, 2018 at 11:29:06 AM UTC-7, Quadibloc wrote:
On Saturday, January 13, 2018 at 8:04:56 AM UTC-7, Chris L Peterson wrote:

In the long term, temperatures will continue to rise and
atmospheric CO2 will continue to rise if swift action isn't taken, and
both of those are likely to cause humans great problems.

And, indeed, *she said as much*, noting that this lower solar activity would
simply buy time to address global warming as still must be done - I read an
article about this particular prediction.

I'm not making this up, here is the news article:

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/21...g-canceled.htm

John Savard
Old January 16th 18, 06:24 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_3_]

On Mon, 15 Jan 2018 15:36:19 -0700, Chris L Peterson
wrote:
On Mon, 15 Jan 2018 22:50:46 +0100, Paul Schlyter
wrote:

You didn't see the movie "The day after tomorrow"?

One of those documentaries with good science, like The Flintstones?

I never claimed it was good science. But it did use the global
warming to create a strongly exaggerated catastrophic scenario. Which
means the global warming isn't too frightening to serve as
inspiration for a movie about a global catastrophy. That movie even
exaggerated the catastrophy - whatever will happen with the real
world, it will definitely take much longer than just a week.
Old January 16th 18, 06:30 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_3_]

wrote:
After all, global warming is denial of real science.

Including the real global warming which actually is happening?
Old January 16th 18, 06:40 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_3_]

On Mon, 15 Jan 2018 21:19:16 -0700, Chris L Peterson
wrote:
I agree, I see lots of global warming books with "terror titles."

After all, global warming is denial of real science.

Global warming is real, and is very scary.

Not too scary to serve as inspiration for movies about imaginary
catastrophes, such as "The day after tomorrow".

One of the most dangerous
things the human race has ever faced, and one which has the

potential
to destroy our current civilization.

However, that wouldn't be the first time a human civilization has
been destroyed. It has happened several times before, and mankind
survived that. This time we're too many, we consume too much
resources, and we're too focused on eternal growth, which of course
is impossible within a finite world. That's the lesson we must learn
this time. If we don't learn it voluntarily, the Earth will teach us,
in a quite harsh way.
Old January 16th 18, 06:44 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Paul Schlyter[_3_]

Peterson wrote:

In the long term, temperatures will continue to rise and
atmospheric CO2 will continue to rise if swift action isn't

taken, and
both of those are likely to cause humans great problems.

And, indeed, *she said as much*, noting that this lower solar

activity would
simply buy time to address global warming as still must be done -

I read an
article about this particular prediction.

I'm not making this up, here is the news article:

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/21...ice-age-could-
happen-within-the-next-few-decades-global-warming-canceled.htm

John Savard

However, that's all very speculative. Note that already the headline
says "could happen" rather than "will happen" or "is likely to
happen".
Old January 16th 18, 07:24 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_3_]

On Tuesday, 16 January 2018 07:40:32 UTC+1, Paul Schlyter wrote:

However, that wouldn't be the first time a human civilization has
been destroyed. It has happened several times before, and mankind
survived that. This time we're too many, we consume too much
resources, and we're too focused on eternal growth, which of course
is impossible within a finite world. That's the lesson we must learn
this time. If we don't learn it voluntarily, the Earth will teach us,
in a quite harsh way.

The use of the "we" misrepresents our total lack of representation even at the most local level. Meanwhile, the most widely hated president in history is rewriting the script to suit his own blind ignorance and sociopathic greed. He has been falsely placed in the position of World's Strongest Man but is clearly a badly brought up and tantrum prone child. "We" are on a fixed course over which "we" have no control. The Proud Emperor is incapable of recognizing his own words and misdeeds yet remains "in power." Where are the real alternatives to his fall? Where is the unblemished man, or woman, of the hour? The One to lift us out of our eternal impasse?

Our global steering system is dangling from a creaking, medieval cart. It is pulled by blindfolded oxen and driven by a blind old man who is facing backwards the way he came.

That only one, clearly deluded person, could initiate a global war to suit his own Twitter fantasies is a global obscenity. We need a sea-shift in representation.

A global, climate disaster would just repeat exactly the same mistakes both before and after The Collapse. Robber barons, warlords and tribal chiefs, each fighting for their turf and their entitlement. Collecting trinkets and slaves to decorate their over-ornamented caves and castles to endless vanity while the people toil and starve at gunpoint.

The present system favours and rewards only those engineered without a conscience. They have so much to lose that they cling to power to the very last drop of "our" spilled blood. It was ever thus and ever more shall be. Billions will die on the whim of an untouchable madman leading a solitary country on a minority vote.

This is not rocket science. It is human history and its far future set impermeably in the oldest granite. It is carved on the tattered and gilded facade of a mental fortress. Constantly reinforced to withstand any change which does not favour the insatiably and pathologically greedy. Whose own corruption is the only currency they recognise.
Old January 16th 18, 01:36 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Gary Harnagel

On Monday, January 15, 2018 at 9:19:22 PM UTC-7, Chris L Peterson wrote:

Global warming is real, and is very scary.

Maybe to YOU.

One of the most dangerous things the human race has ever faced, and one
which has the potential to destroy our current civilization.

Perhaps you haven't noticed but the US has reduced coal energy by 40%
over the past decade, solar is projected to increase by 30% over the next
TWO years and China is building two wind turbines per hour (half of the
world's production). At 4 per hour worldwide, that's 8000 per year
assuming a 2000 hour work year. At 1.5 MW/turbine and 6 hours/day, that
adds 3 GWHrs to energy production every year.

Things aren't so bad. Renewable is small but it's growing rapidly.
Old January 16th 18, 02:56 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

wrote:
[...]

I don't anticipate global warming has the potential to eliminate
humans, or even close to it. But civilization is fragile. It wouldn't
take much to take down our current cultures and replace them with
something more typical- despotic theocracy, for instance.

Not something I want to see.
Old January 16th 18, 02:57 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 05:36:50 -0800 (PST), Gary Harnagel
wrote:

On Monday, January 15, 2018 at 9:19:22 PM UTC-7, Chris L Peterson wrote:

Global warming is real, and is very scary.

Maybe to YOU.

One of the most dangerous things the human race has ever faced, and one
which has the potential to destroy our current civilization.

Perhaps you haven't noticed but the US has reduced coal energy by 40%
over the past decade, solar is projected to increase by 30% over the next
TWO years and China is building two wind turbines per hour (half of the
world's production). At 4 per hour worldwide, that's 8000 per year
assuming a 2000 hour work year. At 1.5 MW/turbine and 6 hours/day, that
adds 3 GWHrs to energy production every year.

Things aren't so bad. Renewable is small but it's growing rapidly.

This is promising, of course. We just have to hope it hasn't come to
late.