Advanced versions of the V-2 rocket

Old July 3rd 07, 03:46 AM posted to sci.space.history,rec.aviation.military
OM[_6_]

Default Advanced versions of the V-2 rocket

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 00:54:48 -0500, Damon Hill
wrote:

I've been checking out the scenery at r.a.m.; seems they have their
share of mega-egos, and bat**** insane Nazi apologists too. I wonder
how long even Pat's sense of humor will stand up over there?

I think you've hammered Arndt's nail.

....Yeah, and I've sent him to Killfile Hell so he can play sodomy
games with Guth and his ilk for eternity. Dip****s and ego trippers
like Arndt are the kind of scum that tend to really ruin special
historical interest groups, as they take on this faux superiority
attitude to run off anyone else who might provide info that, in their
own addled minds, should only be provided by themselves so they can
have their egos masturbated by any accolades for the "assitance". Tom
Galloway pulled that **** for years - and AFAIK he's still doing it -
over on rec.arts.comics.*, and it ran off more posters than most
trolls.

,,,Another sign of the "ego-tripping self-proclaimed net.god" is that
they all love to name-drop in one form or another. Either it's some
place they've been, or someone they've met, and they trump it up as if
they're either half-owner of the location, or the best friend of
whoever it was they most likely only saw in passing. And whether or
not they're telling the truth is mox nix, as their bragging and
excessive inflation of their sense of self-importance negates the
importance, if not the validity of their experiences.

....Oh, and r.a.m. and rac* aren't the only ones that have been plagued
with this sort of moron. .history had Dwayne "Do not cuss in my
presence or I'll leave!" Day for a while, and we've still got Rand
Simberg around here to two-line his way into everyone's killfiles. But
right now we're talking about Rob Arndt and his unwarranted,
unsolicited, unjustified, and totally bogus attack on Scott Lowther -
someone who's got about two hundred metric tons more credibility than
Arndt does when you get down to it. He's an "ego-tripping
self-proclaimed net.god"; in fact, the bozo fits the description to a
"T".

Or is that a butt plug?

OM
--
]=====================================[
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
Old July 3rd 07, 03:50 AM posted to sci.space.history,rec.aviation.military
Pat Flannery

Dave Kearton wrote:
That being so, it's still a matter of heat vs time. The railroad ties
down here (we call them "sleepers") are made from a fairly dense hardwood -
but will still burn if exposed to that amount of radiant heat for more than
a short time.

With at least 30 minutes to prepare a round for launch, it would give the
tracks enough time to cool off between firings - and you can still move the
launch car forward if it looks black 'n crispy.

Hopefully it will get airborne and not blow on the rail car.

I would have liked to have seen the Midway's wooden deck after a V2 was
launched in '46. It looks like a metal deflector was used under the
rocket, but there's still a lot of blast area that (I presume) was wooden.

That launch scared the hell out of the Navy, because of how unstable the
missile was as it ascended.
Just to see what would happen, after that the Navy built a section of
standard wooden aircraft carrier decking, sat a fully fueled V-2 on it,
and blew it up.
The result was one of the first nails in the coffin of launching
liquid-fueled missiles from ships.
Apparently wood burns very well indeed when doused in alchohol and LOX.
Bye-bye Navy Jupiter from aircraft carriers.

Pat
Old July 3rd 07, 03:51 AM posted to sci.space.history,rec.aviation.military
OM[_6_]

Default Rob Arndt Non Grata (Wuz: Advanced versions of the V-2 rocket)

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 18:45:57 -0500, Pat Flannery
wrote:

Yeah, I went over to rec.aviation.military and ran into this whacko.
But his website is something else, to put it mildly:
http://discaircraft.greyfalcon.us/index.html

....Oh, *he's* the festering little neo-Nazi dickwad who was
responsible for all those "Luftwaffe UFO" pages you sent me a while
back, wasn't he? Granted, his Nutzi idols came up with some really
wild concepts, but most of the ones he's babbled about have about as
much validity as a Wikipedia article about beers brewed in Texas
written by a pair of 15-year-old Limey schoolpunks.

Normally, you'd have to eat a lot of funny mushrooms to come up with
stuff like that.

....He's probably been IV'ing his own home brew. Whether it's
Nyquil-deerived crystal meth, or just his own attempt at cheap beer,
remains to be seen.

OM
--
]=====================================[
Old July 3rd 07, 04:01 AM posted to sci.space.history,rec.aviation.military
Pat Flannery

Rick Jones wrote:

I guess then that the real risk was then to the trees and shrubs on
either side of the tracks. Either you start a forrest fire on launch,
or you have "open" enough tracks that some fighter jock in a
P-47/P-51/Typhoon/whatnot spots you, swoops-in and ruins your whole
day?

That first picture seems to show some pretty broad "open space" on the
far side of the rail car

A V-2 didn't exactly "zip" off the pad did it?

They started a lot of fires launching V-2s; one of the popular ways of
hiding them during erection and fueling was to pull the tops of tall fir
trees together with ropes over the top of the missile to hide it in a
forest clearing, then snap them open just before launch.

Pat
Old July 3rd 07, 04:10 AM posted to sci.space.history,rec.aviation.military
Dave Kearton

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message

| That launch scared the hell out of the Navy, because of how unstable the
| missile was as it ascended.
| Just to see what would happen, after that the Navy built a section of
| standard wooden aircraft carrier decking, sat a fully fueled V-2 on it,
| and blew it up.
| The result was one of the first nails in the coffin of launching
| liquid-fueled missiles from ships.
| Apparently wood burns very well indeed when doused in alchohol and LOX.
| Bye-bye Navy Jupiter from aircraft carriers.
|
| Pat

In an environment of immediate post-war competition for funding and roles,
I'm sure that at some point - if ever so briefly - it would have made sense
to balance very tall and thin missiles on the back of carriers (not the
middle of the deck, where the pitching motion would be less) and fire them
off - regardless of sea state.

Maybe the navy heard of a competing plan in an Air Force locker somewhere to
put an airbase on wheels and drive it about the countryside - at night -
with the lights off.....

.....or invisible disc planes, powered by unobtanium, firing a brace of 4MW
laserkanone.

--

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Old July 3rd 07, 04:19 AM posted to sci.space.history,rec.aviation.military
Pat Flannery

Damon Hill wrote:
What will happen is that the ballast will be deeply excavated
right out of the roadbed, the ties burnt and the rails will likely
warp, or try to.

A blast deflector had to have been included in the design.

There is one; the exhaust gets shot out to either side of the tracks
from above them so it won't be closer than say five feet from them
during launch.

Pat
Old July 3rd 07, 04:26 AM posted to sci.space.history,rec.aviation.military
Rob Arndt

] OMBlog -http://www.io.com/~o_m/omworld [
] Let's face it: Sometimes you *need* [
] an obnoxious opinion in your day! [
]=====================================[

This is hilarious!

KF'd by a comic book fan for trashing a sci-fi modeling fan!!!

Rob

Old July 3rd 07, 04:34 AM posted to sci.space.history,rec.aviation.military
Rob Arndt

wrote:

[...]

Again, citicism from a comic book fan is hardly insulting.

I just need to find that OM Kryptonite!

But listen to this guy talk in his few posts... butt plugs, mushrooms,
making meth... and of course his promo for his self-admitted obnoxious
blog.

Holy no-common-sense, Batman!

Rob

Old July 3rd 07, 04:38 AM posted to sci.space.history
Pat Flannery

OM wrote:

...Oh, *he's* the festering little neo-Nazi dickwad who was
responsible for all those "Luftwaffe UFO" pages you sent me a while
back, wasn't he?

Jah, Mein Fuhrer!
Go over Black Sun for more of the same: http://www.greyfalcon.us/
....and his Star Wars stories!