ASTRO: NGC 7673

Old October 11th 10, 07:26 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Glen Youman

Default ASTRO: NGC 7673

NGC 7673 is a clumpy compact blue emission line galaxy undergoing star
burst activity as the result of an on-going minor merger.

"Our data, however, show evidence in support of a previously proposed
minor merger scenario in which a dwarf galaxy, tentatively identified
with clump B, is falling into NGC 7673 and triggers the starburst."
(Pérez-Gallego, et.al., 2010)

Simbad list the classification as cG D, red-shift distance is 156
Mly. Size is 1.3' x 1.2'.

The attached image was up-sampled 1.33x.

October is usually one of the driest months with respect to atmosphere
but this October is the exception, great seeing but excessive high
level moisture ca suing all kinds of problems.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg gc 7673-lrgb-M10-1.33x.jpg (60.6 KB, 82 views)
Old October 11th 10, 11:32 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

On 10/11/2010 1:26 PM, glen youman wrote:
NGC 7673 is a clumpy compact blue emission line galaxy undergoing star
burst activity as the result of an on-going minor merger.

"Our data, however, show evidence in support of a previously proposed
minor merger scenario in which a dwarf galaxy, tentatively identified
with clump B, is falling into NGC 7673 and triggers the starburst."
(Pérez-Gallego, et.al., 2010)

Simbad list the classification as cG D, red-shift distance is 156
Mly. Size is 1.3' x 1.2'.

The attached image was up-sampled 1.33x.

October is usually one of the driest months with respect to atmosphere
but this October is the exception, great seeing but excessive high
level moisture ca suing all kinds of problems.

That came out very well. Think that size includes the huge plume with
the galaxy's main features much smaller than that size would indicate.
Excellent results on that small one.

That's one on my Arp like list. Never had a night of sufficient seeing
to pick up the detail you have so haven't imaged it yet. There are some
other weird ones in the area as well. Nice one with two huge plume like
arms from a ring to the SE for instance.

October is weird here too. Been clear rather than cloudy but with eye
surgery I can't take advantage of it. Scheduled things expecting the
usual clouds. Those cloud gods certainly are perverse. I've managed
one a night but then the eye is just too tired to continue. Normally
I'd do 4 a night this time of the year. Seeing has been poor however.

Rick
Old October 12th 10, 07:21 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Glen Youman

All the best with the eyes - a friend had the same operation with
excellent results.

I have the same operation looming in the future.

Speaking of plumes, there is a very faint bloom artifact to the upper
right of the galaxy. The first set of sub had the bright star at
lower left directly below the galaxy and a broad faint bloom artifact
extended from the star through the galaxy. I re-oriented the camera
on the following night to make the artifact more manageable and
manually cleaned up the artifact between the star and galaxy but
failed to clean the artifact extending beyond the star.

Old October 17th 10, 10:57 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Good shooting Glen, this is a most interesting picture. Great effort to pull
this kind of detail out of such a small object.

Stefan