[fitsbits] INSTRUME, TELESCOP, etc.

Old July 28th 03, 07:20 PM
Steve Allen

Default [fitsbits] INSTRUME, TELESCOP, etc.

On Thu 2003-07-24T17:42:09 -0400, William Thompson hath writ:
DETECTOR The detector used

DETECTOR is used by Keck and Lick Observatories as a character string
describing the detector.

--
Steve Allen UCO/Lick Observatory Santa Cruz, CA 95064
Voice: +1 831 459 3046 http://www.ucolick.org/~sla

Old July 28th 03, 07:35 PM
Thierry Forveille

William Thompson wrote:
I was reviewing a document suggesting keywords to be used in FITS
headers, and I was wondering if there was any kind of defacto standard
beyond that in the FITS definition. The keywords being suggested were
as follows

INSTRUME FITS Standard
TELESCOP FITS Standard

DETECTOR The detector used
INSTITUT The institution
OBSERVAT The observatory
NETWORK I think this keyword is meant to be used for data
taken by a network of observatories, such as the GONG
network.

CFHT uses INSTRUME, DETECTOR, and OBSERVAT.

Old August 4th 03, 07:04 PM
Arnold Rots

Here's what Chandra uses, in accordance with HEASARC convention:

MISSION = 'AXAF ' / Project
TELESCOP= 'CHANDRA ' / Telescope
INSTRUME= 'HRC ' / Instrument
GRATING = 'LETG ' / Grating
DETNAM = 'HRC-S ' / Detector
OBS_MODE= 'POINTING' / Observation mode
DATAMODE= 'OBSERVING' / Data mode

In a sense, MISSION is equivalent to OBSERVAT.

- Arnold

William Thompson wrote:
I was reviewing a document suggesting keywords to be used in FITS headers, and I
was wondering if there was any kind of defacto standard beyond that in the FITS
definition. The keywords being suggested were as follows

INSTRUME FITS Standard
TELESCOP FITS Standard

DETECTOR The detector used
INSTITUT The institution
OBSERVAT The observatory
NETWORK I think this keyword is meant to be used for data taken by a
network of observatories, such as the GONG network.

Except for the first two, which are standard FITS keywords, are any of the other
keywords used elsewhere? Or are their other forms which capture the same concepts?

Thank you,

William Thompson

Arnold H. Rots Chandra X-ray Science Center
Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory tel: +1 617 496 7701
60 Garden Street, MS 67 fax: +1 617 495 7356
Cambridge, MA 02138
USA
http://hea-www.harvard.edu/~arots/