Barnard 95/LDN 406

Old February 15th 14, 06:14 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Default Barnard 95/LDN 406

Barnard 95/LDN 406 is a dark nebula in western Scutum about 2.6 degrees
northeast of M16. That puts it rather low in my skies. I need a very
good night to work this low. Seeing and transparency are usually poor
at this low altitude. This was one of the very few good nights I had in
2013. While most sites say the distance to dark nebulae in Scutum is
about 650 light-years the one paper I found giving a distance to it says
400 parsecs which would be twice that distance or 1300 light-years.
http://cdsbib.u-strasbg.fr/cgi-bin/c...6AS..113..325H

There's one asteroid in my image. It is in the lower left quadrant and
rather lost among all the stars but does show up as a rather bright
short line angled upward to the right. It is (99252) 2001 LJ1 at
magnitude 17.2. I doubt I'd have noticed a typical magnitude 19
asteroid I usually pick up. While this was a good night for 2013 the
variations in the asteroid trail show sky conditions varied through the
exposures for the L frames with the last two being less transparent than
the first two and likely through the color frames as well.

14" LX200R @ f/10, L=4x10' RGB=2x10, STL-11000XM, Paramount ME

Rick
--
Prefix is correct. Domain is arvig dot net

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BARNARD095L4X10RGB2X10R.JPG
Views:	348
Size:	835.9 KB
ID:	4988  Click image for larger version

Name:	BARNARD095L4X10RGB2X10R-67.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	477.1 KB
ID:	4989
Old March 3rd 14, 06:55 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

A really nice hole in the sky...
Stars look very good for such a low object.

Stefan

"Rick Johnson" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

[...]

ASTRO: Barnard 104 Rick Johnson[_2_] Astro Pictures 1 January 14th 14 10:13 PM
Barnard 104 WA0CKY Astro Pictures 0 January 14th 14 07:57 PM
Three Messiers and a Barnard (Obs.) W. H. Greer Amateur Astronomy 1 February 20th 07 06:30 PM
A Flare for Barnard's Star Magnificent Universe Astronomy Misc 5 November 16th 05 03:43 AM
A Flare for Barnard's Star Magnificent Universe Amateur Astronomy 0 November 11th 05 11:54 PM