Rookie question; The importance of the eyepiece

Old July 28th 03, 02:55 PM
Edward

Default Rookie question; The importance of the eyepiece

Hello Hans,

"Hans Johansson" wrote in message:
A short question from a rookie;
When starting with amateur astronomy and the very first $400-500 telescope
there is most certainly one or two eyepieces included. Probably not of the
very best quality.

1)
How can I see that my "included" eyepiece is "not of the very best

quality"
and an investment in a new eyepiece could be something to think about?

The best way is to borrow a more expensive ocular and see the difference
yourself. You may be surprised how sharp your inexpensive eyepieces are.

2)
How much improvement could be expected just by adding on a high (or

medium)
quality eyepiece to a standard $500 reflector telescope? Is it noticeable?

If you get a decent fully multicoated plossl or two with your scope, you're
90% there. Most of the money for premium optics buys you a wider field of
view, better edge correction in short focal length scopes or enhanced eye
relief, not a huge improvement of objects centered in the field of view.
Superior glass, coatings and polishing WILL result in better on axis images.

3)
Anything else you would like to add to this discussion thread?

I think the average quality of eyepieces included with starter scope
packages has improved.

Looking forward to receive a number of valuable comments (as always on

this
news group).

cheers,
Hans / Sweden

Have fun,
Ed

Old July 28th 03, 02:59 PM
Chuck Simmons

Hans Johansson wrote:

Hi,
A short question from a rookie;
When starting with amateur astronomy and the very first $400-500 telescope
there is most certainly one or two eyepieces included. Probably not of the
very best quality.

1)
How can I see that my "included" eyepiece is "not of the very best quality"
and an investment in a new eyepiece could be something to think about?

2)
How much improvement could be expected just by adding on a high (or medium)
quality eyepiece to a standard $500 reflector telescope? Is it noticeable?

Before replacing any eyepieces that come with the telescope, consider
filling out the series of eyepieces. For example, if the telescope comes
with a 10mm and a 17mm eyepiece, consider a 20mm or 25mm and possibly a
7mm eyepiece (go for the low power first). A 2X barlow might come next.
Doing this will probably answer your first question for you as well as
make your telescope more useful.

Chuck
--
... The times have been,
That, when the brains were out,
Old July 28th 03, 04:00 PM
Curtis Croulet

Unless you're certain there's something seriously wrong with the eyepiece, I
wouldn't fret about it at this time. Even if the eyepiece is a cheap
Chinese-made Plössl, it's probably good enough to satisfy you for quite awhile.
I'm with Chuck Simmons he add some other focal lengths to your eyepiece
collection before you replace this one.
--
Curtis Croulet
Temecula, California

Old July 28th 03, 04:15 PM
Starstuffed

Hans,

You wrote and Stephen Paul responded:

snip
How can I see that my "included" eyepiece is "not of the very best

quality"
and an investment in a new eyepiece could be something to think about?

Experience. To the inexperienced eye, the difference between okay and very
good, isn't as significant as it is to the experienced eye.
unsnip

I agree with Stephen. There is no need to rush out and upgrade from the
EP's which were provided. . .use them to get to know the sky and have some
fun. As your "observing eye" gets better, you will instinctively know when
the capabilities of your skills surpass the abilitiy of the oculars you
have. Brace yourself. . .at that point you'll probably want to upgrade to
another scope.

Martin

Old July 28th 03, 07:55 PM
Anders Hansson

Hej Hans,

Plenty of great replies ! Just a few words from me as well:

"Hans Johansson" wrote in
news
1)
How can I see that my "included" eyepiece is "not of the very best
quality" and an investment in a new eyepiece could be something to
think about?

If the eyepieces are sharp near the center and shows only moderate
ghosting and a minor loss of sharpness near the edges, you can surely
live with them, at least for a while.

2)
How much improvement could be expected just by adding on a high (or
medium) quality eyepiece to a standard $500 reflector telescope? Is it
noticeable?

There are many eyepieces that can offer you substantial advantages in
terms of viewing comfort, overall image correction and larger apparent
field. If you will see dramatic differences in sharpness and contrast
when using them with your particular scope is harder for me to tell. You
should make some practical tests before deciding.

3)
Anything else you would like to add to this discussion thread?

Yes. Eyeglasses and astigmatism. If you use glasses with astigmatic
correction, you should have a look at something like the Vixen LV
series. They allow you to observe with glasses on all the time.

Hope this helps !

Anders H.

--
correct address anhn at telia dot com