Did anyone see a bolide 0726 ??

Old July 26th 03, 06:40 PM
BingBong

Default Did anyone see a bolide 0726 ??

Did anyone else see a bolide approximately midnight Eastern Daylight
Time on 7/26?

I was watching Mars with my 12" lx200 and my son suddenly let out a
shout when he saw a bright "Explosion." I was looking thru the
eyepiece and noted that there was a BRIGHT green flash. My entire
peripheral vision lit up. I know this is very inaccurate, but it
seemed as bright as the full moon. I am located in Central New Jersey
and the "explosion" occured right near Mars in the western sky. When I
looked up, there was a small trail above and to the right of Mars that
dissipated within a few minutes. My son described it as a bright
meteor which left a short trail and then exploded to give the bright
green flash.

I know that the delta Aquarid meteor shower is right around now and
this occured near Aquarius.

Any other witnesses??

BB
Old July 26th 03, 11:37 PM
Davoud

BingBong:
Did anyone else see a bolide approximately midnight Eastern Daylight
Time on 7/26?
I was watching Mars with my 12" lx200...

I was watching Mars with my 89mm Questar :-)

...it seemed as bright as the full moon. I am located in Central New Jersey
and the "explosion" occured right near Mars in the western sky. When I
looked up, there was a small trail above and to the right of Mars that
dissipated within a few minutes. My son described it as a bright
meteor which left a short trail and then exploded to give the bright
green flash.

*****

I was observing from about 20km west of Annapolis, MD. I saw two very
bright meteors last night, one while setting up at about 22:00 EDT and
the second at around midnight. Both were very short-lived. The first
came out of the southeast on a northeast trajectory. The second
appeared in Sagittarius at a declination of about -20 deg and was on an
southeast trajectory. I did not see it explode.

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
Old July 26th 03, 11:58 PM
Mick

Go here, get involved

http://miac.uqac.ca/MIAC/fireball.htm

Old July 27th 03, 08:24 PM
bwhiting

Davoud,
about midnight EDT at Cherry Springs State Park, we thought someone
had set off a flash picture, even though it would have been illegal.
Came from an eastern direction, but no one saw the actual 'flash'
but everyone and everything was visible for an instant...and I'll
bet that was it. But no one to my knowledge happened to be looking
in that direction at that instant.....so I can't confirm or deny
it. Must have been very short-lived.
BTW, Mars would not be in the West at midnight EDT,
that was probably Arcturus you are confusing it with. Mars is in
the SE at midnight EDT.
Clear Skies,
Tom W.

BingBong:

Old July 27th 03, 09:38 PM
BingBong

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003 15:24:39 -0400, bwhiting
wrote:

Davoud,
about midnight EDT at Cherry Springs State Park, we thought someone
had set off a flash picture, even though it would have been illegal.
Came from an eastern direction, but no one saw the actual 'flash'
but everyone and everything was visible for an instant...and I'll
bet that was it. But no one to my knowledge happened to be looking
in that direction at that instant.....so I can't confirm or deny
it. Must have been very short-lived.
BTW, Mars would not be in the West at midnight EDT,
that was probably Arcturus you are confusing it with. Mars is in
the SE at midnight EDT.
Clear Skies,
Tom W.

Sorry, my mistake. It WAS in the Eastern sky right near Mars and was
very short lived.

I'm glad someone else saw something and that I didn't imagine it.

To add a little more info, the meteor was white and left a whitish
short tail which culminated in a green flash bolide. It was traveling
from above and to the right of Mars (sorry, from just East and South
of Mars) and the bolide occured right near Mars. No sounds were
present.

Thanks,

BB
Old July 28th 03, 02:31 AM
bwhiting

No, we heard nothing either...as I stated, we just thought someone
had illegally flashed a camera at us...no residual trail was seen
either because I looked for it right afterward....so we just dropped
the subject, figuring it must have been a camera flash....guess we
were wrong about the camera.
So thanks for confirming that the flash we saw was extra-terrestrial.
Clear Skies,
Tom W.

Old July 28th 03, 12:17 PM
justbeats

First post - please excuse any inappropriate terms or conventions...

From times and places mentioned, I doubt we're talking about the same
event - but (very roughly) sometime between 00:00 and 00:30 BST
(morning of 28/7/03) I saw a spectacular bolide over Buckinghamshire
in the UK...

I was on a newbie GOTO-frenzy with my 10" F/10 LX200 (only it's 4th
trip out since I got it 3 weeks ago) when I happened to look up just
before an orange streak began directly above. It travelled NNW (v.
approximately across Vega towards Ursa Major) for 1 to 1.5 secs
showing deceleration and brightening of the trail. Finally - the
streak turned from yellow to green and culminated in an ENORMOUS green
flash that lit the surrounding countryside (and left me with a blind
spot for a few minutes). I'm afraid I missed my chance to view the
plasma tube (or whatever it's called) as it took me a few seconds to
remember I had a scope handy, let alone slew it from M82 where it was
pointed...

Most impressive "shooter" I've ever seen! I listened for a minute or
two, but I didn't hear anything (should I have - perhaps I didn't wait
long enough?)

Quite a good addition to a fascinating night's observing, but I'll
save tales of my "newbie experiences" (and countless emerging
questions) for other posts.

Cheers
Beats