Which Is Best? - TV-102 Or FS-102

Old July 13th 03, 03:03 PM
Brian A

Default Which Is Best? - TV-102 Or FS-102

I just went through this same decision myself a couple of weeks ago and I
went with the FS102. From the opinions I gathered, "most" people seemed to
like views the from the Tak just a bit more than the TV. Ed Ting
http://www.scopereviews.com/index.html also has a review of both scopes and
I believe he did a comparison of the two.

I just received the Tak Friday and haven't had a chance to use it yet but
I'll be glad to let you know what I think once I get a look.

Brian

"Jim" wrote in message
I am considering a 4" APO.

The Takahashi - FS-102 is on sale for around $1900 while the TV-102 is
around $2200.

It would seem to me the Tak is a better buy unless I am missing something.
Opinions?

Old July 13th 03, 09:29 PM
Rashad Al-Mansour

Hi Jim

Between the two I don't think you could go wrong with either. Although I
haven't rolled it down a flight of stairs. :-) I own a TV Genesis SDF and
simply love it! It's the first scope I've owned that allow me to split
Sirius cleanly.

The Tak will require sturdier mount than the TV as it is both longer and
heavier.

Rashad

Old July 13th 03, 10:00 PM
Etok

"Jim" wrote in message
I am considering a 4" APO.

The Takahashi - FS-102 is on sale for around $1900 while the TV-102 is
around $2200.

It would seem to me the Tak is a better buy unless I am missing something.
Opinions?

When faced with that very question a year ago, I voted with my pocketbook.
I wasn't disappointed. The Tak and Televue views are more or less the same,
which is to say, my eyes can't tell the difference.
I like the Tak focuser better. You really can't go wrong with the
takahashi, imho.
Once you have decided which scope, you want a nice, stable mount for it.
I opted for the Losmandy G-11, second hand. The combination was totally
made in
heaven. Good luck. Check astromart. You might find a Tak for 1500.

Etok

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Old July 14th 03, 12:13 AM
Rob Hunt

Del Johnson wrote:

Package both in their cases and roll them down a flight a stairs a few
times. Buy the one that remains collimated.

Great advice! I've been following your recent round of bitching with
some amusement and you are a real piece of work. Anyone who would do
(or recommend doing) such a thing is a first-class idiot. I also
thought your suggestion that you might have been better off with a 7
inch dob was pretty funny. Wasn't the whole point that your uncle
wanted to take a telescope to Africa? I can just picture him dragging
a starmaster thru customs in Tanzania - get real!

Meanwhile TeleVue has a well-deserved reputation for excellent
customer service. They go well beyond what you can expect from
Takahashi for sure. Did you ever speak to Mr. Takahashi on the
telephone to get HIS advice?

I'm not knocking Tak by the way. The FS 102 is a real bargain right
now and it might be the way to go. But rolling it down the stairs is
no way to choose unless you're some kind of a Rich Anderson type of
lunatic!

Rob Hunt
Old July 14th 03, 03:48 PM
Del Johnson

The 7" Teleport is an ultra-portable reflecting telescope, much more
portable than a typical 4" refractor setup.

http://www.teleporttelescopes.com/T7.html

Del Johnson

om...

Old July 14th 03, 08:07 PM
optidud

I wonder what are the values of the secondary spectrum
(or difference between blue/red and green) in the FS-102
and TV-102. They say that flourite has secondary spectrum
amounting to 1/16,000 of the focal length. How about
the TV-102 which uses non-flourite lens?

Also these flourite apo doesn't correct for violet color, just
green, red and blue. And they explain that our eyes is not sensitive
to violet that's why we don't notice any violet fringing in
an apo like the FS-102. But isn't it that violet is a color
and you can see a person wearing a violet shirt, so what
difference does it make if it's a violet color that comes from
the objective lens. Violet is still violet.

optidud

"Ron B[ee]" wrote in message news:lRmQa.2594$Bd5.1356@fed1read01...
"Jim" wrote in message
I am considering a 4" APO.

The Takahashi - FS-102 is on sale for around $1900 while the TV-102 is
around $2200.

It would seem to me the Tak is a better buy unless I am missing something.
Opinions?

Hello there Jim,

I don't think you can go wrong with either: both a finese ;-) of an
instrument
in my opinion. However, the TV-102 comes with a hardcase, quite handy
on those road trip. Also, personally, I like the smoothness of the Tele Vue
focuser better (but this is subjective). The TV-102 looks a lot smaller
because
of the diameter of the OTA and the retractable dewshield and weighs in a
couple of lbs less than the FS102.

Good luck and best wishes on your quest for the 4-incher APO.

Ron B[ee]

Old July 14th 03, 10:50 PM
Alan French

"Chris1011" wrote in message
[SNIP]
Those of you with a Howie Glatter can tell whether and where you have

elements
made of CaF2. All glass, except CaF2 will scatter the beam of a green

laser.
Crown glass and ED glass will normally have less scatter than flints. You

can
see the beam traversing inside the glass if you shine the beam through the
lens. CaF2 will show no beam inside the material, only the entrance dot

and
exit dot will be visible. Try it on your SDFs, Vixen Fluorites, etc. You

will
see where the Fluorite element is in the lineup.

Roland,

Cool. Works just as advertised.

Clear skies, Alan

Old July 14th 03, 11:05 PM
Brian A

I went the Astromart route for the add-ons. I picked up a mint Tak 7x50
finder with bracket and illuminator for $265 and a tube holder for $120. Saw
a tube holder sell the other day for $75 ouch! The finder isn't cheap but
it's absolutely incredible. Almost like having another scope.

Brian A

"David" wrote in message
Brian,

what are the final costs of the purchase ? I heard that the necessary

add-ons
on the Tak raise the final price..

Thanks,

David

Old July 15th 03, 08:55 AM
Alan W. Craft

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 22:05:36 GMT, "Brian A" ...reflected:

I went the Astromart route for the add-ons. I picked up a mint Tak 7x50
finder with bracket and illuminator for $265 and a tube holder for $120. Saw
a tube holder sell the other day for $75 ouch! The finder isn't cheap but
it's absolutely incredible. Almost like having another scope.

I shudder to think of my going that route...to sell off.

I don't think it'll happen though...

I hope.

Brian A