Mars 2003 Jul 28

Old July 28th 03, 07:23 AM
Stephen Tonkin

Default Mars 2003 Jul 28

Had another go this morning; the sky was getting a bit bright by 04.45,
which is when I began imaging, hence the blue background to the image,
but I'm getting more pleased with the results I'm getting (not up to
Pete's standard, though!):
http://www.astunit.com/tonkinsastro/planets/mars.htm

Best,
Stephen

--
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
+ Stephen Tonkin | ATM Resources; Astro-Tutorials; Astro Books +
Old July 28th 03, 07:30 AM
Craig Oldfield

In article , burbled
happily...

Had another go this morning; the sky was getting a bit bright by 04.45,
which is when I began imaging, hence the blue background to the image,
but I'm getting more pleased with the results I'm getting (not up to
Pete's standard, though!):
http://www.astunit.com/tonkinsastro/planets/mars.htm

Rather good again. I must have a go at building an adaptor similar to
the one you've done, looks to be doing the job quite nicely.
--
Craig Oldfield
Old July 28th 03, 10:31 AM
Pete Lawrence

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 07:23:03 +0100, Stephen Tonkin
wrote:

Had another go this morning; the sky was getting a bit bright by 04.45,
which is when I began imaging, hence the blue background to the image,
but I'm getting more pleased with the results I'm getting (not up to
Pete's standard, though!):

Oh I don't know!

http://www.astunit.com/tonkinsastro/planets/mars.htm

Very nice indeed. Not putting down your earlier images but, what an
improvement. Well done that man!

Conditions were quite nice for me last night too (no cloud to start
with and only a F5 gale blowing!). I was too tired to process when
I'd finished, but initial looks seem encouraging.

My digicam can only manage 320x240 in movie mode so I tried a Registax
( 640x480 ) friendly manual movie simulation - basically firing the
shutter off for 100 images in succession. I'll deal with those later
though.

Any kind soul like to help out a tired brain (trying desperately to
cope with Monday morning at work ) and tell me what sort of
timescale I'm looking at before planet rotation becomes a problem?

--
Pete
Homepage at http://www.pbl33.co.uk
Old July 28th 03, 04:36 PM
Stephen Tonkin

"Ron B[ee]" wrote:
Say Stephen, that is a very nice picture! And only from a 5-inch
aperture, very well done indeed.

Not a touch on Pete's (with only 4")! (http://www.pbl33.co.uk/) -- and
there's better to come....

Best,
Stephen

--
+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +
Old July 28th 03, 05:16 PM
Phil Wheeler

Stephen Tonkin wrote:
"Ron B[ee]" wrote:

Say Stephen, that is a very nice picture! And only from a 5-inch
aperture, very well done indeed.

Not a touch on Pete's (with only 4")! (http://www.pbl33.co.uk/) -- and
there's better to come....

Ah -- but his "only a 4 inch" is a Vixen reflactor. I suspect that has
advantages over a 5" SCT with obstruction.

But we will wait for Stephen's future results to prove me wrong :-) I
hope they do, since I'm about to travel the same path - using the the
same scope as Stephen coupled to a camera identical to Pete's.

It is interesting that Pete and Stephen are posting good shots from the
UK (not noted for clear skies) and Eric Ng is doing great stuff in Hong
Kong with a 10" R-C as I recall (and Hong Kong does not seem among the
best of sites for astrophotography).

Phil

Old July 28th 03, 08:21 PM
Stephen Paul

"Phil Wheeler" wrote in message

reflactor

Wouldn't that be the same thing as a catadioptric?

(I love that slip, it's perfect. g)

Old July 29th 03, 12:00 AM
andrea tasselli

Stephen Tonkin wrote:
"Ron B[ee]" wrote:

Say Stephen, that is a very nice picture! And only from a 5-inch
aperture, very well done indeed.

Not a touch on Pete's (with only 4")! (http://www.pbl33.co.uk/) -- and
there's better to come....

Ah -- but his "only a 4 inch" is a Vixen reflactor. I suspect that has
advantages over a 5" SCT with obstruction.

But we will wait for Stephen's future results to prove me wrong :-) I
hope they do, since I'm about to travel the same path - using the the
same scope as Stephen coupled to a camera identical to Pete's.

It is interesting that Pete and Stephen are posting good shots from the
UK (not noted for clear skies) and Eric Ng is doing great stuff in Hong
Kong with a 10" R-C as I recall (and Hong Kong does not seem among the
best of sites for astrophotography).

Eric used to use a 10" f/6 newton and now has a 12" newton. Hong Kong
can have a remarkably stable sky (been there few times). That's all it
is needed for planetary work.

Andrea T.

My Astronomy Pages at:
http://www.geocities.com/andreatax