Asteriod Question

Old September 1st 04, 02:58 AM
Mad Scientist

Lise Eleanor wrote:

Paul:

Good comment. Okay, in my script, the gov't has known it was coming for
almost 10 years. So, the scenario of the asteroid being deflected off
Jupiter's cloud tops would work with this that you said, "If it came from
any other direction it would
be discovered months to years in adavance of possible Earth impact", based
on your principle, correct?

This is good, because there is some technical jargon I avoided because I
didn't know how to explain why 1998FC (I think that's what it was called)
was a NEA that we didn't know about until it had already passed us.

Very, very good.

We call these little, but important, considerations "plot holes".

I'm trying to work out the plot holes.

Check out these links here to the asteroid Toutatis (Celtic for "god of
war"), which some believe will eventually slam into earth due to its
unusal orbit so close to earth.

Also some believe that most if not all of the asteroid belt was formed
long ago by the collision of two planets, leaving the destroyed remains
forming into a belt. Others believe that the asteroid belt is composed
of captured debris from other collisions. Some even believe that our
moon is a captured remnant of two planets which collided aeons ago.

--

"Asteroid Toutatis, officially numbered 4179, was discovered by French
astronomers in 1989. Researchers can't predict far enough into the

http://www.unknowncountry.com/news/?id=3763
http://www.globalpsychics.com/lp/Pro...s.htm#Toutatis
http://www.artpolitic.org/infopedia/..._Toutatis.html
http://seekers.100megs6.com/Asteroid%20Toutatis.htm
http://www.cyber-north.com/ufo/toutatis.html

Old September 1st 04, 03:02 AM
Ugo

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 20:41:59 -0400, Lise Eleanor wrote:

Thank you Wally.

This is something simple that can be shown on film. So, I've re-written it
so:

An asteroid knifes through blackness, Jupiter looming in its path. It
strikes the cloudtops around the planet's surface and skitters off on a
new collision course, a cloud trail following in its wake.

Is this better?

Well, if you omit the part about the planet's surface - Jupiter has no real
surface... And the cloud trail wouldn't actually follow the asteroid like a
comet - there would be a trail whil while it's going through Jupiter's
atmosphere, but outside it there would still be only a big rock

--
The butler did it.
Old September 1st 04, 03:16 AM
Mad Scientist

Lise Eleanor wrote:

How's this?

An asteroid knifes through blackness, Jupiter looming in its path. It
strikes the cloud tops around the planet's surface at a shallow angle and
deflects to a new course, a cloud-trail following in its wake.

You do realize that the asteroid belt is between Mars and Jupiter. I
guess some asteroids have been mapped which share the orbit of Jupiter
and are called Trojans.

--

Asteroid-Belt :The region between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter
(centered around 2.8 AU) in which most asteroids are found. The largest,

Mo

http://milan.milanovic.org/math/engl...s/titius0.html

Old September 1st 04, 03:25 AM
Lise Eleanor

Wow, Mad Scientist!

" Also some believe that most if not all of the asteroid belt was formed
long ago by the collision of two planets, leaving the destroyed remains
forming into a belt. Others believe that the asteroid belt is composed
of captured debris from other collisions. Some even believe that our
moon is a captured remnant of two planets which collided aeons ago."

In the words of Michael J. Fox to James Wood in "The Hard Way":

That was f***ing great!

May I quote you on that? The geologist/meterologist, Assistant Professor
JAMES BORLAND, 30, needs some techy jargon. That would be perfect.

And yes, the script is basically this:

After eons of misinterpretation, Margot decodes an ancient system which
proves to be the only modern science capable of sparing Earth an impending
meteor strike.

So, I'll be checking out these links you've suggested.

P.S. "Mad Scientist". I used to be. But, then I started writing scripts and
got it all out of my system. (My field of research is ancient artifacts and
mysteries.) Now I don't yak everyone's ear off about my "theories" and
"discoveries". My friends appreciate it! I whip my proofs into a fact based
visual body of work and interlace it with a story.

I bet some of you in this group have some mind-blowing theory, or group of
theories, to write into a kick-ass movie script.

--
From the Desk of Lise Eleanor
http://www3.sympatico.ca/l_e/

"Mad Scientist" wrote in message
. cable.rogers.com...

Old September 1st 04, 03:29 AM
Lise Eleanor

Gotcha. This good now?

An asteroid knifes through blackness, Jupiter looming in its path. It
strikes the cloud tops around the planet at a shallow angle and
deflects to a new course.

--
From the Desk of Lise Eleanor
http://www3.sympatico.ca/l_e/
. ..

Old September 1st 04, 03:35 AM
Lise Eleanor

*grin*

Silly me!

No, I didn't realize. But, thanks for mentioning it. I read about the Aten,
Amor and Apollo asteroids. So, if I understand THIS:

A Trojan asteroid/comet in Jupiter's orbit could be careened into by another
asteroid/comet and pool-balled into our pocket.

Yes?

--
From the Desk of Lise Eleanor
http://www3.sympatico.ca/l_e/
"Mad Scientist" wrote in message
.cable.rogers.com...

How's this?

Old September 1st 04, 03:47 AM
Mad Scientist

Heheheh, cool! Ofcourse you can quote me. I was quoted in the X-Files
Move script as well. But don't tell anyone.

Lise Eleanor wrote:

Wow, Mad Scientist!

[...]

Yes I know. It comes with time. I learned to live with others not
welcoming my opinions too. Say I have an idea for a kick-ass horror
movie script. Any suggestions on how to get started, who to contact,
how to go about writing it, etc.?

Old September 1st 04, 03:49 AM
Odysseus

Lise Eleanor wrote:

I checked on that Oort cloud and found the proven Keiper belt data. This
imagery is a bit much for the purpose of the script. Things have to be
simplifed. But, I did check it out and thought about it as a possibility.

One problem you may find with most 'realistic' scenarios is that they
don't make for very exciting film.

"An asteroid knifes through blackness, Jupiter a bright but tiny
crescent to sunward. Over the course of several months and millions
of kilometres its orbit shifts imperceptibly.

"FIFTEEN YEARS LATER

"The asteroid knifes through blackness, Jupiter again a bright
crescent to sunward, not quite so tiny this time and less far abeam.
Over the course of several months and millions of kilometres its
orbit shifts imperceptibly.

"FIFTEEN YEARS LATER

"The asteroid still knifes through blackness, Jupiter once again a
bright crescent to sunward, noticeably larger now and closer to our
heading. Over the course of several months and millions of kilometres
its orbit shifts imperceptibly.

FIFTEEN YEARS LATER ..."

Gripping stuff, isn't it?

--
Odysseus
Old September 1st 04, 03:52 AM
Lise Eleanor

That's cool! I was a fan. I really liked "Cigarette Man". He was so elusive.
Kinda grimy though. Good character.

If you want to email me your real name--

Hey! You're CANADIAN!!!!

Moi aussi!

I'm in Guelph.

My email addy is

X-Files=Vancouver, BC.

*huge smile*

--
From the Desk of Lise Eleanor
http://www3.sympatico.ca/l_e/
"Mad Scientist" wrote in message
.cable.rogers.com...
Heheheh, cool! Ofcourse you can quote me. I was quoted in the X-Files
Move script as well. But don't tell anyone.

Wow, Mad Scientist!

Old September 1st 04, 04:02 AM
Lise Eleanor

Odysseus:

lol... can't write what the audience can't perceive. How do they know it's
been several months and millions of kilometers? I won't put "crawl"
(scrolling text) on my work.

We'd probably show it as a [black] rock hurtling through black space
(probably glittery black rock to catch the lighting and make it appear to be
travelling very quickly), Jupiter off in the background, on the left side of
the screen. The asteroid veers in on a shallow angle, passes through a bit
of the cloud, ricochets off to the left (pulling a small trail of cloud
behind, briefly) and dashes off into blackness again. (The audience will
know, being intelligent, that the asteroid is obviously heading for Earth -
or there'd be no point making the movie.) Etc..

I know it's a lot of work for four lines of script, but accuracy is
essential for me, as this script is about real research and provable theory.
It's based in piezoelectromagnetism.

Try saying that 10 times!

:-)

--