Toronto sto Efstonscience is history!!

Old June 28th 12, 10:18 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_1_]

Default Toronto sto Efstonscience is history!!

After something like 4 decades. Internet claims another victim! Get
there fast if you want the scraps, but they've been picked-over pretty
good already.
Old June 30th 12, 12:19 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Jun 28, 5:18*pm, RichA wrote:
After something like 4 decades. *Internet claims another victim! *Get
there fast if you want the scraps, but they've been picked-over pretty
good already.

It appears that they are merely closing the bricks-n-mortar, but
maintaining a Web presence.

Old June 30th 12, 06:01 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Jun 30, 10:32*am, Bert wrote:

wrote:
On Jun 28, 5:18*pm, RichA wrote:

After something like 4 decades. *Internet claims another victim! *Get
there fast if you want the scraps, but they've been picked-over
pretty good already.

It appears that they are merely closing the bricks-n-mortar, but
maintaining a Web presence.

So it's really "Internet saves another niche business."

Not really. The Internet makes it nonviable for a business to have a
brick-and-mortar presence; but the business survives by following the
footsteps of its competitors.

Presumably, if it weren't _for_ the Internet, it wouldn't need
"saving" in this fashion.

John Savard
Old June 30th 12, 07:17 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
lal_truckee

On 6/30/12 9:32 AM, Bert wrote:
So it's really "Internet saves another niche business."

Not really.
What a physical site offers is true browsing with tactile interface,
which is now lost.
A "net presence" is one button push away from Amazon and can't compete.
So it's a temporary "save" at best.
Old June 30th 12, 07:23 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Bert[_3_]

In lal_truckee
wrote:

On 6/30/12 9:32 AM, Bert wrote:
So it's really "Internet saves another niche business."

Not really.
What a physical site offers is true browsing with tactile interface,

Which, apparently, was not of value to enough people.

which is now lost.
A "net presence" is one button push away from Amazon and can't
compete. So it's a temporary "save" at best.

Again, if enough people don't receive sufficient value from this outfit,
they're gone.

--
St. Paul, MN
Old June 30th 12, 07:55 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 11:17:10 -0700, lal_truckee
wrote:

On 6/30/12 9:32 AM, Bert wrote:
So it's really "Internet saves another niche business."

Not really.

Yes, really. Obviously people place more value in the ability to
conveniently shop at home than in actually going to a brick-and-mortar
store. This is a societal change, and can hardly be blamed on the
Internet. A retailer who is unable to adjust his business to changes
in how people CHOOSE to shop will go out of business. That's how
things have always worked, and nothing has changed in that respect
because of the Internet.

I know that I'd much rather buy astronomical instruments online, and
I'm old enough that most of my life has been about shopping in stores.

A "net presence" is one button push away from Amazon and can't compete.

There are millions of thriving niche companies doing most of their
business on the Internet, and Amazon poses them no threat. They thrive
in large part because they can provide a degree of service companies
like Amazon can't. If I want a blender, Amazon is great. But if I want
a CCD camera or a quality astronomical telescope, I'm going to look
for somebody who specializes in those kind of things.
Old July 1st 12, 05:38 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Rich[_4_]

Chris L Peterson wrote in
:

wrote:

On 6/30/12 9:32 AM, Bert wrote:
[...]

Why? They offer nothing better than Amazon, so it all comes down to
price and the ability to deliver the product. What will be interesting
will be whether store-bought for a specific cost is less expensive or the
same as buying from some distributor who then charges a shipping cost.
Old July 1st 12, 07:20 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris.B[_2_]

On Jul 1, 6:46*am, Rich wrote:

I don't know what their location is worth, but it's across the road from
one of the most travelled malls in Canada, so I'd guess the lease or sale
cost of the building will do the company pretty well.

People forget that evolution isn't about survival. It's about those
who can attract a mate before they die. The human race broke the rules
and let the weak and diseased breed. It's a basic human right. So now
we are going to die out from inbred stupidity.

Does all of Amazon's discounted unleaded come straight from China? The
Internet must be to blame for all the gas stations that are closing...

BRAINWASHED EVOLUTIoNIST SIMPLY CANNOT ACCEPT AS FACT THE GREATESTDISCOVERY IN THE HISTORY OF HISTORY Nobel Foundation Astronomy Misc 1 February 6th 08 03:22 PM
ebay store Wayne . Astronomy Misc 0 December 25th 05 06:25 AM
Dollar Store Annonymous Account Astronomy Misc 0 November 6th 05 07:42 AM
Store Wars Rusty History 16 May 29th 05 10:02 AM
*HELL* Is In Store Pat O'Connell Amateur Astronomy 2 January 31st 05 08:16 AM