"Nazis Run Our Space Program" -- Peace Activist Bruce Gag-Me

Old March 18th 05, 05:44 AM
OM

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 11:56:33 -0500, "Scott Hedrick"
wrote:

...Or "Dell Serf"?

Both of which are *voluntary*.

....Until 1998, when two upper-level idiots posing as managers conned a
drunken Michael Dell into completely reorganizing the R&D side of
things from Line-Of-Business orientation to Commodity-Specific
orientation, being a "Dell Serf" was not only voluntary, but an honor
because you might not be getting paid top dollar, but the side
benefits *and* getting the jump on everyone else with the latest tech
made up for it. Nowadays, thanks to all the ****ups caused by ex-IBM
managers thinking what they did that got them fired from IBM in the
first place *must* work anywhere else, most people don't renew their
contracts and move on when they're done.

....This is why I'm convinced that employers should be required by law
to provide a *fun* workplace, and if they can't provide said don't get
into business. From my own experience, a fun workplace keeps the
medical costs down because nobody's stressing out unless it's
absolutely necessary, and even then not for long.

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old March 18th 05, 05:47 AM
Rand Simberg

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 11:59:21 -0500, in a place far, far away, "Scott
Hedrick" made the phosphor on my monitor glow in
such a way as to indicate that:

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
still think this is an odd way to fish, but using thermite to boil a
pond full of ducks is a little odd also, but at least does not lack in
imagination.

Depends on how hungry you are. I don't really care about fishing, so if I
was hungry, and had one available, I'd consider dropping a grenade.

Sure, there's not much sport in it, but the goal isn't to enjoy sport, it's
to eat.

Reminds me of the old joke about the two guys in a boat. One of them
tosses a stick of dynamite into the pond, and reaps the results by
skimming the stunned fish off the top. His companion starts to
complain, and the first one says, "Hey, you wanna talk, or you wanna
fish?"
Old March 18th 05, 07:43 AM
Pat Flannery

OM wrote:

...Gibson's we had, and from 1968 thru 1971, it was the only place in
town to get kits at knockdown prices that had been out of stock at the
local hobby shops for months, if not years. It was where I picked up
my first-press edition of the Glenn commemorative reworking of the
Atlas booster & launch pad.

" 'Everything Is Go.'
I bought mine at my uncle's clothing store...who had the monopoly on
all the Cub Scout/Boy Scout uniforms sales in town.
And, Mr. Robert Mosley- you have my thanks for bringing tears of
nostalgic remembrance to an old Irishman's eyes on St. Patrick's Day.

Thanks again... I owe you one.
Pat
Old March 18th 05, 09:39 AM
OM

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 00:43:28 -0600, Pat Flannery
wrote:

And, Mr. Robert Mosley- you have my thanks for bringing tears of
nostalgic remembrance to an old Irishman's eyes on St. Patrick's Day.

....Aw, it was the least I could do for my favorite Mick :-)

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old March 18th 05, 11:29 AM
Pat Flannery

Scott Hedrick wrote:

Seriously, in 11th grade I developed severe dandruff (I tried a brand new
shampoo, Pert, and within hours, the flakes started falling and haven't
stopped), and after 16 years of random treatments, I found scraping my skull
once or twice a week stopped it.

I started going gray at age 12; the Jr. highschool girls were always
wondering where I got that magnificently even "frost job". :-)

Pat
Old March 18th 05, 11:47 AM
Pat Flannery

Scott Hedrick wrote:

imagination.

Depends on how hungry you are. I don't really care about fishing, so if I
was hungry, and had one available, I'd consider dropping a grenade.

Works fine on fish; the way to down ducks is to emplace a six foot long
piece of 8" cast iron plumbing pipe in the ground near a slough, stick
around a quarter pound of gunpowder in the base of it, and pile in some
rags for tamping- and around 3 pounds of screws, bolts, and small scrap
metal on top of the wadding... scare the ducks airborne from the far
side of the slough, so that they fly at low altitude overhead, and set
the ******* off.
With luck, you can down 25 to 50 ducks at a time- what this lacks in
sportsmanship it more than makes up for in efficiency.

Pat
Old March 18th 05, 06:28 PM
Scott Hedrick

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
* This morphed into Gibson's, then Pamida, then moved, then died when
K-Mart arrived.

My wife and I honeymooned in Albuquerque. On the way back to Florida, we
found a Gibson's in Texas. Presaging what I do now for a living, there was a
rack of do-it-yourself legal kits, which I naturally stocked up on.

I'm tempted to blow off my pending meeting with OM and see if the store's
still open.

Old March 18th 05, 06:29 PM
Ami Silberman

"Scott Hedrick" wrote in message
. ..

"Andrew Gray" wrote in message
. ..
The leverage to *get* an acceptable contract is what I suspect Ami is
referring to

The error is in assuming leverage on an individual basis- the *market* has
leverage. If a business can fill a position for less than what you are
willing to accept, then clearly what you want is more than what the market
is willing to pay. If *nobody* was willing to work for what was offered,
then the employer would have to either raise the ante or live without the
labor. If there is someone more desperate or willing than you, then *you*
need to reconsider your position.

However that assumes an elastic market (I think that is the correct term).
If, on the other hand, you have a small town where a high percentage of the
jobs are with the same employer, you have a situation where the employer can
pay less in wages because the cost to the potential employees of finding
work elsewhere is higher (relocation, movement away from family), especially
if the employee is dependent on either income from other family members or
additional jobs. There is a reason why, back in the 19th century, company
towns were able to exploit (by an reasonable term) their workers.

Old March 18th 05, 06:34 PM
Scott Hedrick

"OM" om@our_blessed_lady_mary_of_the_holy_NASA_researc h_facility.org wrote
in message ...
From my own experience, a fun workplace keeps the
medical costs down because nobody's stressing out unless it's
absolutely necessary, and even then not for long.

It didn't work for Tom Hanks in "Joe vs the Volcano".

Old March 18th 05, 06:36 PM
Scott Hedrick

"Pat Flannery" wrote in message
With luck, you can down 25 to 50 ducks at a time- what this lacks in
sportsmanship it more than makes up for in efficiency.

*Then*, one can wait to see what that many duck carcasses will attract, and
have at it.

Sportsmanship, hell- I'm hungry!