Researchers say finding life-bearing worlds around red dwarf starsless likely

Old November 27th 08, 08:55 PM posted to sci.astro
Yousuf Khan

Default Researchers say finding life-bearing worlds around red dwarf starsless likely

Here's a bit of far-fetched speculation for you. We've barely just
photographed our first set of extrasolar planets, and we've only
indirectly known about the planets for a decade and a half, but already
there are people assigning odds on how likely there is going to be life
around a specific subset of the worlds.

Specifically they are saying that worlds around red dwarf stars are not
likely going to be stable enough in their orbits to support life for
long. This reminds me of all of absolute certainty to which scientists
"knew" how planetary systems must form, based on the model of our own
Solar system. Then all of a sudden when we actually started discovering
the extra-solar planets, we started seeing all kinds of wierd things
like Hot Jupiters, which totally blew our "absolutely certain" models
out of the water.

Researchers Say Tides Can Cut Life Short On Planets Orbiting Smaller Stars
"But Earth-like planets around stars smaller than our sun won't be
liveable for long, according to a study led by Rory Barnes, a research
associate with The University of Arizona's Lunar and Planetary
Laboratory. Such planets can face "tidal extinction" within about a
billion years. "
http://www.physorg.com/news147014943.html