ASTRO: NGC 7635 in colour

Old November 4th 07, 05:01 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Stefan Lilge

Default ASTRO: NGC 7635 in colour

I did a Halpha image of NGC 7635 last year and added some RGB this year. I
had to do a 50/50 mix of the red channel and Halpha, otherwise the image
would look washed out with a pink hydrogen nebula.

Taken from the middle of Berlin,
luminance with a C8 at f/7, G11 mount, SXV-H9 camera, 36x10 minutes through
an Astronomik 13nm Halpha filter,
RGB 6x5 minutes each with an 8" LX200 at f/4.4, SXV-H9 camera.

The image can also be found at
http://ccd-astronomy.de/temp/7635colourgut.jpg

Halpha:
http://www.slilge.de/Sharpless/7635-36x10gut.jpg

RGB:
http://ccd-astronomy.de/temp/7635RGBgut.jpg

Stefan

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7635colourgut.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	1427
Old November 4th 07, 06:33 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Rick Johnson[_2_]

Stefan Lilge wrote:
I did a Halpha image of NGC 7635 last year and added some RGB this year.
I had to do a 50/50 mix of the red channel and Halpha, otherwise the
image would look washed out with a pink hydrogen nebula.

Taken from the middle of Berlin,
luminance with a C8 at f/7, G11 mount, SXV-H9 camera, 36x10 minutes
through an Astronomik 13nm Halpha filter,
RGB 6x5 minutes each with an 8" LX200 at f/4.4, SXV-H9 camera.

The image can also be found at
http://ccd-astronomy.de/temp/7635colourgut.jpg

Halpha:
http://www.slilge.de/Sharpless/7635-36x10gut.jpg

RGB:
http://ccd-astronomy.de/temp/7635RGBgut.jpg

Stefan

That came out well. A change from the comet. I tried it again through
thick haze last night, haven't tried processing it yet.

I find if I add a bit of the H-alpha to the blue as well, say about
15%-20%, it helps the color balance. I tried 10% each of blue and green
since the H-beta line is somewhat green as well but prefer thought just
adding it to blue was more "natural". I haven't tried other
combinations as yet. Just adding it to the red gives me too much red and
blue features don't come through or do so as red instead.

Rick

Old November 4th 07, 07:15 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
DvandenH

Great image Stefan! very nice details.
This one is on my list for a long time now and i hope to shoot it one of
these days..

reg
Dirk van den Herik

A journey of thousand lightyears
starts with the first step.

Old November 4th 07, 11:49 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Doug W.

Never tire of seeing this object... and I have never got any good data on it
myself... very nice image Stefan!

--
Regards, Doug W.
www.photonsfate.com

Old November 5th 07, 04:52 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
Richard Crisp[_1_]

all right, another color image!

nice job on a classic target too.

Old November 6th 07, 01:57 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.astro
George Normandin[_1_]

"Stefan Lilge" wrote

Stefan,

Beautiful image! I loved the h-alpha image also.

George N