Canada arm question

Old May 28th 12, 05:46 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
[email protected]

Default Canada arm question

I guess that's what it's called. The manipulator arm that was on the shuttle,
and the one that's now on the ISS. I was wondering how it grabbed onto whatever
it was supposed to? Did anything that it was supposed to manipulate have some
sort of a standardized attachment for it to grip? often see it with a
cylindrical end. It didn'tuse suction did it? Can you even use suction in what's
already a vacuum?

Also, given all the articulating joints on the arm, I have to believe there's a
lot of lubrication? If so, how does it not freeze up or melt down in the space
environment? Thanks.
Old May 28th 12, 08:34 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Brian Gaff

And while I'm at it, ok so the piece it grapples is a grapple pin, but where
did the word that sounds like end-effector come from?

Strange terminology.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Well as I recall it has wires that tighten around things.

I know that there have been issues with the wires needing lubrication. I'm
sure there are details about how it works on the net.
Brian

From the sofa of Brian Gaff -

Blind user, so no pictures please!

Old May 28th 12, 08:59 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
snidely

Brian Gaff submitted this idea :
And while I'm at it, ok so the piece it grapples is a grapple pin, but where
did the word that sounds like end-effector come from?

Strange terminology.

From being on the end of the arm, and being the effector of the
gripping action. That seems to be the term used by robots in Detroit
and Nagoya and elsewhere, rather than specific to the Canadarm.

/dps

--
Who, me? And what lacuna?

Old May 29th 12, 03:02 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Brian Thorn[_2_]

On Mon, 28 May 2012 09:32:11 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Well I don't know about that. Why not grapple tool?

Because it doesn't only grapple. It also has lights and cameras for
inspections.

Brian
Old May 29th 12, 03:34 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
Jeff Findley[_2_]

In article , rfdjr1
@optonline.net says...

I guess that's what it's called. The manipulator arm that was on the shuttle,
and the one that's now on the ISS.

Actually, the shuttle's RMS and the stations SSRMS are not the same.
The SSRMS is obviously newer and shares some design heritage with the
RMS, but it's requirements are quite a bit different, so the hardware
turned out to be quite a bit different as well.

I was wondering how it grabbed onto whatever
it was supposed to? Did anything that it was supposed to manipulate have some
sort of a standardized attachment for it to grip? often see it with a
cylindrical end. It didn'tuse suction did it? Can you even use suction in what's
already a vacuum?

This is a good starting point, but some of the links to the pictures are
broken. :-(

http://home.comcast.net/~issguide/components/SSRMS.html

A good book on the space shuttle ought to have a chapter on the original
RMS and how its end effector works.

Also, given all the articulating joints on the arm, I have to believe there's a
lot of lubrication? If so, how does it not freeze up or melt down in the space
environment? Thanks.

Don't know about that.

Jeff
--
" Ares 1 is a prime example of the fact that NASA just can't get it
up anymore... and when they can, it doesn't stay up long. "
Old May 30th 12, 11:56 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle
snidely

on 5/28/2012, Brian Thorn supposed :
wrote:

Well I don't know about that. Why not grapple tool?

Because it doesn't only grapple. It also has lights and cameras for
inspections.

And because the term was already in use in industry, it seems.

I'm not sure if alternate end effectors have been implemented for RMS
or SSRMS.

/dps

--
Who, me? And what lacuna?

Old Dominion Obs, Canada W. eWatson[_2_] Amateur Astronomy 4 December 9th 11 05:15 AM
Why Canada Sucks Greg Carr Amateur Astronomy 0 September 22nd 07 03:13 PM
Why Canada Sucks joad Amateur Astronomy 0 September 21st 07 01:55 PM
Why Canada Sucks Greg Carr Amateur Astronomy 0 September 21st 07 09:54 AM
O, Canada...... Matthew Ota Amateur Astronomy 4 July 3rd 06 06:14 PM