Russian rockets....in South Korea?!

Old October 30th 04, 08:41 PM
Pat Flannery

Default Russian rockets....in South Korea?!

If you want too see how the geopolitical map is changing, Russia is
going to build a space launch center in _South Korea_:
http://www.mosnews.com/news/2004/10/...korspace.shtml
At $210 million dollars, this seems a fairly good bargain to get an
indigenous orbital launch capability.

Pat

Old October 30th 04, 08:47 PM
bob haller

If you want too see how the geopolitical map is changing, Russia is
going to build a space launch center in _South Korea_:
http://www.mosnews.com/news/2004/10/...korspace.shtml
At $210 million dollars, this seems a fairly good bargain to get an
indigenous orbital launch capability.

Pat

can launches from this location get to iSS?
..
..
End the dangerous wasteful shuttle now before it kills any more astronauts....
Old October 31st 04, 12:19 AM
OM

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 14:41:45 -0500, Pat Flannery
wrote:

At $210 million dollars, this seems a fairly good bargain to get an
indigenous orbital launch capability.

....Nah, SK will simply do a cheap knockoff version of Baikonur and
slap their logo on the bottom :-P

OM

- General George S. Patton, Jr
Old November 2nd 04, 03:58 AM
quasarstrider

Pat Flannery wrote in message ...
If you want too see how the geopolitical map is changing, Russia is
going to build a space launch center in _South Korea_:
http://www.mosnews.com/news/2004/10/...korspace.shtml
At $210 million dollars, this seems a fairly good bargain to get an
indigenous orbital launch capability.

SK already bought T-80Us and BMP-3s from the Russkies, So I guess this
is more of the same. IIRC Russia had some largish debt contracted with SK
and this is their way of clearing it. I mean, what else could they pay
with? Vodka?
Old November 2nd 04, 07:52 AM
Pat Flannery

quasarstrider wrote:

SK already bought T-80Us

They are also developing a new tank specifically for South Korea; the
Chiorny Oriol (Black Eagle) which looks like a cross between a T-80 and
a Improved Leopard II:
http://armor.kiev.ua/fofanov/Tanks/MBT/b_eagle.html

and BMP-3s from the Russkies, So I guess this
is more of the same. IIRC Russia had some largish debt contracted with SK
and this is their way of clearing it. I mean, what else could they pay
with? Vodka?

Well, yeah...they make good Vodka. ;-)
I wonder what the South Koreans sold them that resulted in the debt?
North Korea in the Chinese orbit and South Korea in the Russian
orbit...this would be odd.

Pat

Old November 2nd 04, 10:22 AM
Dale

On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 01:52:41 -0600, Pat Flannery wrote:

I wonder what the South Koreans sold them that resulted in the debt?

Probably electronics. Or maybe the KIA has finally passed the Lada in
the automotive satisfaction surveys?

North Korea in the Chinese orbit and South Korea in the Russian
orbit...this would be odd.

Well, if economic ties=political/military ties, South Korea would have to
still be considered in the "Chinese orbit". Trade with China is vastly greater
than it is with Russia.

Dale

Pretty sure the US is in the Chinese orbit too, at least everytime I go to
buy something...
Old November 2nd 04, 06:15 PM
Pat Flannery

Dale wrote:

Pretty sure the US is in the Chinese orbit too, at least everytime I go to
buy something...

We have splinters of The Bamboo Curtain driven under our fingernails,
that's for sure. :-(

Pat

Old November 5th 04, 12:41 AM
quasarstrider

Pat Flannery wrote in message ...
I wonder what the South Koreans sold them that resulted in the debt?

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/worl.../20/2003068593

This article mentions sales of electronics.

North Korea in the Chinese orbit and South Korea in the Russian
orbit...this would be odd.

Not totally unprecedented. Back at the time of the USSR, the Chinese never
were completely happy with USSR involvement in Vietnam for e.g.
The ultimate expression of this was in Cambodia where Chinese supported
Khmer Rouge were pitted versus Vietnamese.

In Korea though, I guess it is odd. The USSR and China heavily supported
North Korea during the Korean war. Now North Korea is more of a nuisance
than an asset. Time changes things I guess.