Scope alignment

Old September 15th 04, 07:36 PM
MartinMcD

Default Scope alignment

I have a Celestron C8-SGT and I'm having a problem getting it setup so
the GoTo works properly.
Is it critical that I have the tripod aligned to North or will the
GoTo compensate if it isn't quite aligned correctly? If alignment is
important presumably this is with true North. Can anyone tell me the
current difference in the UK between magnetic and true.

Thanks
Martin
Old September 15th 04, 07:48 PM
Malcolm Stewart

"MartinMcD" wrote in message
I have a Celestron C8-SGT and I'm having a problem getting it setup so
the GoTo works properly.
Is it critical that I have the tripod aligned to North or will the
GoTo compensate if it isn't quite aligned correctly? If alignment is
important presumably this is with true North. Can anyone tell me the
current difference in the UK between magnetic and true.

Thanks
Martin

Magnetic north varies from time to time, and from place to place. The OS
publish data on the Landranger series of maps for your area. Try something
around 3 deg W of north for starters. For my own use, I set out a meridian
in my garden. (Set up a gnomon and then used the equation of time - and
waited for clear sun at local noon.)

--
M Stewart
Milton Keynes, UK

http://www.megalith.freeserve.co.uk\oddimage.htm

Old September 15th 04, 11:36 PM
Lilian

Martin,

I don't use a celestron but have a lot of experience using the Meade GOTO
system and key points a
- make sure it is level
- point roughly to north
- pick 2 stars not huge distance apart
- initially observe BETWEEN the 2 alignment stars
- expect it to be *somewhere* in the field of view
- don't put in a high power eyepiece and expect it to be there, use
low/edium power first

Hope this helps,
Lilian

Old September 16th 04, 09:06 AM
Chris Taylor

Hi Martin

According to the GPS; magnetic variation (or deviation) is 3 degrees.

I have both Celestron and Meade GOTO scopes and neither require precise line
up with true north to get the required object in the eyepiece consistenly.
Polaris is good enough for the purpose.

What problem are you having with the alignment? Perhaps a daylight savings
time error that would throw you out by about 15 degrees on the ecliptic?
Celestron can be a bit strange with the timezone selection. They should have
incorporated this into the city selection.

Regards

Chris