Flight loop on NASA Select?

Old December 20th 06, 08:27 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Danny Deger

Default Flight loop on NASA Select?

I have always thought NASA Select would be much, much better if it
broadcasted the flight loop. As it is, NASA select is most of the time
about as interesting as watching corn grow.

I can picture kids and adults across the land attempting to decipher what
was said and learning a lot about NASA and space as they did.

Anyone know if this has been discussed? The flight loop is not exactly
secret. It is recorded and if needed played back as part of an
investigation. It is also widely broadcast inside NASA, e.g. to high level
managers. Why not let it out to the world?

Danny Deger

Old December 20th 06, 08:33 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Craig Fink

On Wed, 20 Dec 2006 14:27:35 -0600, Danny Deger wrote:

I have always thought NASA Select would be much, much better if it
broadcasted the flight loop. As it is, NASA select is most of the time
about as interesting as watching corn grow.

I can picture kids and adults across the land attempting to decipher what
was said and learning a lot about NASA and space as they did.

Anyone know if this has been discussed? The flight loop is not exactly
secret. It is recorded and if needed played back as part of an
investigation. It is also widely broadcast inside NASA, e.g. to high level
managers. Why not let it out to the world?

Good idea.

Watching the Corn grow might actually be more interesting right now. :-)

Old December 21st 06, 09:08 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Peter O

Brian Gaff schreef:
Well, maybe you might hear an Astronaut swear or something. Surely people
deserve some privacy.

Brian

I believe the flight loop can be heard on NASA-TV during Shuttle
missions. And you get some commentary explaining what is heard and seen.
http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html

However only one hour a day of ISS expedition coverage is usually
programmed. The flight loop for ISS might not be that interesing after
all as it is often silent for extended periods of time. The nature of
activities on board the ISS do not require that much coordination with
mission control centers. Compared to Shuttle missions ofcourse.

Peter
Old December 21st 06, 06:16 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Danny Deger

"Peter O" wrote in message
.. .
Brian Gaff schreef:
Well, maybe you might hear an Astronaut swear or something. Surely people
deserve some privacy.

Brian

I believe the flight loop can be heard on NASA-TV during Shuttle missions.
And you get some commentary explaining what is heard and seen.
http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html

However only one hour a day of ISS expedition coverage is usually
programmed. The flight loop for ISS might not be that interesing after all
as it is often silent for extended periods of time. The nature of
activities on board the ISS do not require that much coordination with
mission control centers. Compared to Shuttle missions ofcourse.

Peter

You my be getting the flight loop confused with the air-to-ground loop. The
flight loop is the loop everyone talks to the flight director on. I have
never heard it on a shuttle launch. I would think it would be fairly busy
during a space walk. Even on a boring ISS flight there is a lot of
coordination of routine plans on the flight loop. If nothing else just
administrative stuff on people coming and leaving the MCC.

Danny Deger

Old December 21st 06, 09:47 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
snidely

Danny Deger wrote:
[...]
You my be getting the flight loop confused with the air-to-ground loop. The
flight loop is the loop everyone talks to the flight director on. I have
never heard it on a shuttle launch. I would think it would be fairly busy
during a space walk. Even on a boring ISS flight there is a lot of
coordination of routine plans on the flight loop. If nothing else just
administrative stuff on people coming and leaving the MCC.

Looks like CapCom did a lot of arm waving during the last space walk,
to get responses from somewhere to his left. That is a seperate
"channel" from the flight loop, too. ;-}

/dps

Old December 22nd 06, 02:21 PM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
Peter O

Danny Deger schreef:
"Peter O" wrote in message
.. .
Brian Gaff schreef:
[...]

Indeed I got confused. Apologies for that. However I, as an outsider,
cannot imagine being able to listen to all that chatter. It probably
consists mostly of NASA abbreviations and procedure numbers. All very
enlightening without a reference list. ;-)

Peter
Old January 6th 07, 03:36 AM posted to sci.space.shuttle,sci.space.station
l.c. smith

"Peter O" wrote in message news:90f7e$458be9e3$57f4b874
Indeed I got confused. Apologies for that. However I, as an outsider,
cannot imagine being able to listen to all that chatter. It probably
consists mostly of NASA abbreviations and procedure numbers. All very
enlightening without a reference list. ;-)

Peter

Actually the flight loop would have been quite revealing during the Columbia
tragedy. One would have gathered immediately from listening what was going
on with the overtemps, sensor losses, etc. As it was we were left in the
dark. But I guess that's why they call it Nasa SELECT.