Asteroid's Near-Miss May Be Home Run for Scientists (Asteroid 99942 Apophis)

Old August 18th 05, 07:00 PM
Jonathan Silverlight

Default Asteroid's Near-Miss May Be Home Run for Scientists (Asteroid 99942 Apophis)

In message . com,
Michael Baldwin Bruce writes
Dickless Davie whined:
Jonathan Silverlight writes:

writes

Scientists predict a near-miss when Asteroid 99942 Apophis passes Earth
in 2029.

Was it named by a Stargate SG-1 fan? :-)

It was named by members of the Spaceguard SG-1 team.

Love it! But I think it's a terrible choice of name.

Why? Apophis was the Egyptian god of evil and destruction.

You've been watch too much Stargate, Dickless.

Do some more reading, stupid. I am well aware Apophis is the chief nasty
in Stargate - that's why I posted the comment - but he's also one of the
really nasty characters in the "real" ancient Egyptian pantheon.

The kooks are going
to have fun when they realise the Destroyer is coming.

They already had fun claiming that the Twelfth Planet was going to
cause a massive pole shift in 2003. They already had fun with the
Face on Mars. Following the tradition of naming Aten-type asteroids
after Egyptian gods isn't going to prevent anyone from having fun in
a similar way.

What 12th planet, Dickless?

The one kooks like Zechariah Sitchin write about. Note that no-one here
is taking this too seriously :-)

After all, they
will have forgotten that the world was supposed to end in 2012.

Or 2003 May.

Or 1999. Hey, I'm dead. Twice. "You only live thrice"?

Non sequitur.

So long, you offensive little troll.
Plonk.
How did comp.os.os2.advocacy get into the newsgroup list? Trimmed as off
topic :-)