Damn them all to HELLL!!!!!! (Pentax)

Old February 19th 16, 10:39 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

Default Damn them all to HELLL!!!!!! (Pentax)

On Thursday, February 18, 2016 at 11:44:02 PM UTC-5, RichA wrote:
Those fantastic scopes stuck in a MUSEUM!!! Pentax/Ricoh, what have you DONE??!

http://www.cloudynights.com/page/art...elescope-r3040

It's better that this equipment end up in a museum than as scrap metal. As mentioned in the article, most of it was falling into disuse.
Old February 20th 16, 08:42 AM posted to sci.astro.amateur
RichA[_1_]

On Thursday, February 18, 2016 at 11:44:02 PM UTC-5, RichA wrote:
Those fantastic scopes stuck in a MUSEUM!!! Pentax/Ricoh, what have you DONE??!

http://www.cloudynights.com/page/art...elescope-r3040

It's better that this equipment end up in a museum than as scrap metal. As mentioned in the article, most of it was falling into disuse.

You can never tell what stupid people will do. A friend of mine just got a FREE Questar 3.5" The company that owned it was just going to scrap it.
Old February 20th 16, 01:02 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Saturday, February 20, 2016 at 3:42:04 AM UTC-5, RichA wrote:
On Friday, February 19, 2016 at 5:39:30 PM UTC-5, wsne... wrote:
On Thursday, February 18, 2016 at 11:44:02 PM UTC-5, RichA wrote:
Those fantastic scopes stuck in a MUSEUM!!! Pentax/Ricoh, what have you DONE??!

http://www.cloudynights.com/page/art...elescope-r3040

It's better that this equipment end up in a museum than as scrap metal. As mentioned in the article, most of it was falling into disuse.

You can never tell what stupid people will do.

We can make educated guesses. For example, peterson will probably vote for Trump in the primary and for the demonrat in the general. He will also display his ignorance again, perhaps even in this very thread.

A friend of mine just got a FREE Questar 3.5" The company that owned it was just going to scrap it.

The amount of paperwork and staff time to sell such an item probably wasn't worth it.

Somehow, I don't really envy your friend, as nice as Questars are. (I would never buy a used Questar without original bill of sale and fully documented provenance.)
Old February 20th 16, 02:01 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Saturday, February 20, 2016 at 1:42:04 AM UTC-7, RichA wrote:

You can never tell what stupid people will do. A friend of mine just got a
FREE Questar 3.5" The company that owned it was just going to scrap it.

Wow! Lucky guy!

John Savard
Old February 20th 16, 02:05 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Quadibloc

On Saturday, February 20, 2016 at 6:03:02 AM UTC-7, wrote:

Somehow, I don't really envy your friend, as nice as Questars are. (I would
never buy a used Questar without original bill of sale and fully documented
provenance.)

You expect his friend to eventually be jailed for having stolen it?

Or is it just that it may turn out to have not been properly cared for?

I do remember that the old Questars used threaded eyepieces, so one could only
use the Brandons that came with them, so there is reason not to envy him _too_
much. Can a Questar really be _that_ much better than the 90mm go-to Maks that
London Drugs now sells cheaply?

But a Questar is still a thing of beauty and craftsmanship.

John Savard
Old February 20th 16, 04:23 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Sat, 20 Feb 2016 05:02:54 -0800 (PST), wrote:

For example, peterson will probably vote for Trump in the primary and for the demonrat in the general.

Not this year. I'm voting for Sanders, because he's a solid choice
over Clinton.
Old February 20th 16, 04:26 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson

On Sat, 20 Feb 2016 06:05:01 -0800 (PST), Quadibloc
wrote:

On Saturday, February 20, 2016 at 6:03:02 AM UTC-7, wrote:

Somehow, I don't really envy your friend, as nice as Questars are. (I would
never buy a used Questar without original bill of sale and fully documented
provenance.)

You expect his friend to eventually be jailed for having stolen it?

Or is it just that it may turn out to have not been properly cared for?

I do remember that the old Questars used threaded eyepieces, so one could only
use the Brandons that came with them, so there is reason not to envy him _too_
much. Can a Questar really be _that_ much better than the 90mm go-to Maks that
London Drugs now sells cheaply?

Optically, a Questar is nothing special. Nor does its mount offer any
real advantages over some of the mounts found on similar sized scopes.

But a Questar is still a thing of beauty and craftsmanship.

Which is the best reason for owning one. It's like somebody choosing
to own a Rolex, even though you can buy a watch for $20 at a
convenience store that works as well. There is value in something
which is beautifully made.

Of course, if you can afford to buy something like a Questar, you can
also afford a much better instrument for astronomical viewing.
Old February 20th 16, 06:49 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Saturday, February 20, 2016 at 11:23:28 AM UTC-5, Chris L Peterson wrote:
On Sat, 20 Feb 2016 05:02:54 -0800 (PST), wsnell01 wrote:

For example, peterson will probably vote for Trump in the primary and for the demonrat in the general.

Not this year. I'm voting for Sanders, because he's a solid choice
over Clinton.

So, we're not a "registered republican" any more?
Old February 20th 16, 06:55 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
[email protected]

On Saturday, February 20, 2016 at 9:05:07 AM UTC-5, Quadibloc wrote:
On Saturday, February 20, 2016 at 6:03:02 AM UTC-7, wsne... wrote:

Somehow, I don't really envy your friend, as nice as Questars are. (I would
never buy a used Questar without original bill of sale and fully documented
provenance.)

You expect his friend to eventually be jailed for having stolen it?

Weird stuff happens.

Or is it just that it may turn out to have not been properly cared for?

I do remember that the old Questars used threaded eyepieces, so one could only
use the Brandons that came with them, so there is reason not to envy him _too_
much. Can a Questar really be _that_ much better than the 90mm go-to Maks that
London Drugs now sells cheaply?

Depending on the situation, the acquisition could be anywhere from a stupendous windfall, an albatross or a white elephant.

But a Questar is still a thing of beauty and craftsmanship.

I think something made of brass and oak would look better in a den.

Old February 20th 16, 08:11 PM posted to sci.astro.amateur
palsing[_2_]

On Saturday, February 20, 2016 at 10:55:05 AM UTC-8, wrote:

But a Questar is still a thing of beauty and craftsmanship.

I think something made of brass and oak would look better in a den.

Well, that's just your opinion, isn't it? A lot of people would agree with you, so you would share opinions. A lot of people would prefer the Questar, which would be their opinion.

Having multiple choices and having multiple opinions is what keeps diversity in the marketplace, wouldn't you agree?

Damn! There goes one hell of a telescope... Rich[_1_] Amateur Astronomy 6 February 15th 08 08:00 PM
Damn Funny Gene DiGennaro History 0 February 26th 07 02:07 PM
Damn! Pharmanaut Space Shuttle 1 July 26th 05 09:56 PM
Damn- damn damn! Lawrence UK Astronomy 22 April 15th 05 02:34 PM
Damn you clouds... XxXxXxX Amateur Astronomy 1 August 12th 04 05:52 AM